Buy ML based in Finland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
Been offered a 61 plate ML 350 UK registered but the guy took it back to Finland with him. It has a good spec based on the VIN and only 28000miles

Price is really good

Has offered to ship it over included in the price but my responsibility to send it back if it's not right.
Or I could go over and collect it.

what would you do ??

Sounds like a lot of money for a car unseen. I'd check how much it would cost to return it, then see if a return flight to Finland to view it first is worthwhile. Up to him to get it to Helsinki and nothing lost if its not as described.

Be very very careful. My buddy in USA "bought" a Harley Davidson in a similar way. Money in US, Harley in Holland, owner to bring it to me in Northampton for inspection, then ship to US.
Guess what...he never showed up but collected $2000 deposit from Western Union in London, never to be heard from again. I think face to face is the only way to go.

And MLs are hardly rare over here are they.

Thanks for all the the replies so far.

The price is several £k below what they are selling for in the UK. It's a 'Grand Edition' according the VIN number supplied and still has MOT until Sept 2015 from the GOV website.
Waiting on the MOT test number or V5C number to check on the last MOT, which will also confirm mileage given.

Return flight to Helsinki can be had for about £200 - so might be worth a trip.

Payment - I was thinking of a ESCROW service. Doesn't cost much and better than Western Union.

Nope. Still say buy one here in the usual way.

Are there any forum members here who lives/travels to Finland who would be happy to preview the car for you?

Just as a matter of interest, why is it a few grand cheaper over there than here?

A 2011 ML with between 60-100k miles sell for around €40-60,000 over there, just search all the used car sites, and RHD cars don't seem to be going for any less.
So why is he selling it to someone in the UK for half the price he can get for it at home?

They are selling for around £22k over here for one with approx. 40k miles on the clock.

I would pay a bit more and get a W166 anyway to be honest, but that is besides the point.

Is that someone you already know and trust? It smells fishy to me.

Finland - Second Hand Cars Websites

Just to add, the import duty bringing that car into Finland would have been horrendous, and you can't get it back is you ship it out, so it makes no sense at all.

Sounds like a scam to me!
If it's too good to be true it normally is
Do yourself a favour and walk away!

As others have said,it's a scam hence why it's got a tempting price tag

Thanks everyone. I have walked away - through a vehicle enquiry on the GOV website it says the MOT expires several months before the info supplied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom