Buyer beware - Caveat Emptor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
Had my aircon checked and regassed yesterday and whilst waiting was chatting to the guy who owns the garage.

He was telling me about his current work load and pointed out two cars:-

BMW 1 Series - 58 plate - 116i. Bought by a "youngster" off ebay with warning lights flashing , radio not fitted properly and wrong type for 1 Series, steering wheel air bag cover loose, sterring wheel not straight, rear bumper misaligned.

We had a quick look under the bonnet - as you do - and noted different colour paint in engine bay to wings, joints between panels not straight etc etc.
Bought with " minor damage" to front and rear and no log book for £8 K :eek:

Now going back to owner as too expensive to put right :doh:

Peugeot 206 - 56 plate. Owner wants to change original headlamps for "Angel Eyes" he purchased off ebay made in Taiwan. Garage man thinks they will last no more than 3 months before water gets in and will also fail next MOT as new legislation is more onerous on such things - fire risk etc.:eek::dk: Owner is adamant he wants them installed :doh:

As legislators the world over still fail to realise - you can't protect people from their own stupidity!

No, but they might just protect the rest of us, which is surely the aim.

corned said:
As legislators the world over still fail to realise - you can't protect people from their own stupidity!

Indeed, echos my own experiences with a car I bought. I asked re service history and provanance. I got an answer and took it in good faith, foolishly.

I'll not do that again...

BMW 1 Series - 58 plate - 116i. Bought by a "youngster" off ebay with warning lights flashing , radio not fitted properly and wrong type for 1 Series, steering wheel air bag cover loose, sterring wheel not straight, rear bumper misaligned.

We had a quick look under the bonnet - as you do - and noted different colour paint in engine bay to wings, joints between panels not straight etc etc.

Seems like all the warning signs were there - but I wonder what % of the general public know the warning signs? For many, once they've chosen their make/model if the car is the right price and the right colour it'll be bought.

People pass their driving test, and think that's all there need to know about driving, running a car.

I bet if you ask some car owners, when their car need a service, they won't have a cue.

Yes, it's a shame when people get ripped off like that, it is a demonstration of how little people know and understand about something they will spend a very large percentage of their incomes on.
I suspect that if you asked the average motorist what the warning lights on their dashboards meant, I reckon most of them would not know half of them, never mind think to check they all come on and go off when the ignition goes on and the engine starts.

I've sold a few trailers that I no longer need, it's amazing how many people come to have a look and simply walk round it, buy it, hook it on and go. They don't think to check the tyres are legal, that the floor is sound (important for horse trailers!), that the brakes and light work etc. I can see how they could easily get ripped off, just like with cars.

Had my aircon checked and regassed yesterday and whilst waiting was chatting to the guy who owns the garage.

He was telling me about his current work load and pointed out two cars:-

Now going back to owner as too expensive to put right :doh:

Peugeot 206 - 56 plate. Owner wants to change original headlamps for "Angel Eyes" he purchased off ebay made in Taiwan. Garage man thinks they will last no more than 3 months before water gets in and will also fail next MOT as new legislation is more onerous on such things - fire risk etc.:eek::dk: Owner is adamant he wants them installed :doh:

^ Who buys a car without a log book:crazy:

I worked at a garage when i was younger and they did loads of cut and shuts, i only stayed couple of months till i couldn't take the **** anymore

i seen LOADS of cut and shuts sold and the buyers didn't know any better, they came drove it down the road and back and thats the test drive done

alot of people don't know what to check, they come look that the paint's nice and shiny inside's been hovered and they're sold on it!

Seems like all the warning signs were there - but I wonder what % of the general public know the warning signs? For many, once they've chosen their make/model if the car is the right price and the right colour it'll be bought.

Style over substance. It's what the UK does best nowadays - sadly.

Garage man thinks they will last no more than 3 months before water gets in and will also fail next MOT as new legislation is more onerous on such things - fire risk etc.:eek::dk: Owner is adamant he wants them installed :doh:

Garage man is under no obligation to do the customer's bidding, no matter how adamant said customer is.

^ Think he probably likes the thought of £££'s for fitting them and more £££'s for changing them when MOT arrives. Then again I might be a cynic?

^ Think he probably likes the thought of £££'s for fitting them and more £££'s for changing them when MOT arrives. Then again I might be a cynic?

The fact that the owner is said to be "adamant that he wants them installed" suggests that the garage guy has given sensible advice but has been ignored.

The fact that the owner is said to be "adamant that he wants them installed" suggests that the garage guy has given sensible advice but has been ignored.

Absolutely correct. Similarly I understand he told the proud owner of the Beemer how dangerous his car was but the guy still believes it can be repaired for next to nothing :doh:

Surely garage man can be held to account if he undertakes work that is then deemed to have left the car in a dangerous or illegal state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom