Buyer beware SH58 HCZ clocked C63 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lev1978

Car
C32 AMG
We wanted to start this thread regarding an absolute pig of a car to save some other unsuspecting buyer being stung and extremely disappointed as we unfortunately were.

Myself and partner had decided that our next car was to be a C63 AMG. We researched and looked online for suitable cars within our budget. Having sourced the one that we felt was the best for us, visited the dealer and test drove and carried out as many checks that we could possibly do within the realms of our capabilities and of course with help from the dealer.

We took delivery of the car and immediately problems started to arise. Firstly the airbag warning lights came on our 80 miles trip home then the engine management light. It was returned and rectified by the dealer. On leaving the dealer the airbag warning lights came back on and the next morning it had developed an oil leak. It was returned again to the dealer to be rectified, the oil cooler was replaced and the issue with airbags which was frayed wires and the engine management light which was a thermostat.

Two weeks later a new headlight bulb which had been fitted by the dealer blew, causing electrics in the front headlight to blow also. At the same time the rear passenger side wheel bearing developed a rumble indicating the need for replacement.

The following week my partner was driving the car to work the engine management light came on again and within half a mile the car had juddered to a halt with smoke billowing out of the back.

Recovery was arranged and yet again taken back to the dealer, where my partner was accused of putting diesel in instead of unleaded. Quite clearly whilst near on impossible as the nozzle wont fit it was proved by fuel receipt. The dealer then said there was water in the fuel. We didn't ascertain what the problem was on this occasion as by now we were very insistent on having our money back. After this was refused on numerous occasions we decided to ask for help both legally and practically though a Mercedes main dealer.

When presented with the paperwork service history that we were given it was determined by the main dealer and of course the update equipment that they use that this service history had infact been fabricated. We were advised to bring the car back for full diagnostics and mileage check.

The car had in fact been heavily clocked. The last known recorded mileage was 6years 9 months ago at 92,000, we purchased the car being told it had done 77,000. The mileage clock showed that. We can only imagine how many miles the car had actually covered in the next 6 years 9 months ???

We do have paperwork from Mercedes Doncaster to support all of this.

The car is now back in the hands of the dealer.

We had to threaten severe legal action and trading standards to get our part exchange back and refund of money paid. When our part exchange came back within the paper work was the hpi report which had been kept from us although we had asked for it many times as needed the tracker number to activate it. The hpi report stated that it had been stolen in 2011 and had a marker for information with South Yorkshire Police.

Obviously we have been subject to a very bad deal all round, the dealership in question we shall deal with through other sites as we have been very let down by them. But we felt it a duty to make other potential buyers aware of the situation with this particular car. HPI have been informed and will be making the mileage discrepancy available for public knowledge.

What a terrible story, feel sorry for you. On the upside ofr s here though is the helpful attitude of the MB dealer, they generally get a raw deal around these parts!

Out of interest, was the car priced particularly cheaply or proper market rate? Was it advertised as HPI clear as that is a serious dealer no-no bearing in mind you saying it was a stolen-recovered one? To help our members in the future, what checks did you do yourself and via the dealer ? It's important we learn which ones don't work! Thanks

Lowton motor company? Sure I've seen this car for sale months ago when I looked?

MOT history looks dodgy doing hardly any miles between one year to the next

Sorry to hear you've had such a crap time of it but well done for doing your bit to ensure no one else falls foul of the same car!

MOT history looks dodgy doing hardly any miles between one year to the next

Yes, I noticed that too. Plausibly but it's got to put a prospective new owner on alert.

Also it was advertised at one time with 74k miles and a month prior it had an MOT carried out with 75k + miles. Maybe nothing to that but still...

Yes, I noticed that too. Plausibly but it's got to put a prospective new owner on alert.

Also it was advertised at one time with 74k miles and a month prior it had an MOT carried out with 75k + miles. Maybe nothing to that but still...

Also the price went from £22k to £25k

I would never purchase a car of this value without doing my own hpi check.

I would never purchase a car of this value without doing my own hpi check.

HPI is just one other check and is largely worthless if the theft/accident/finance is not recorded (I speak from personal very expensive experience) and yes, I did my homework.

HPI is just one other check and is largely worthless if the theft/accident/finance is not recorded (I speak from personal very expensive experience) and yes, I did my homework.

Exactly, if someone is cunning enough and deceitful enough, even an experienced car buyers usual checks can fail to pick up a car with issues.

This one however had alarm bells from the off. Still does not excuse the dealers behaviour. Also sounds like OP bent over backwards accepting issues before taking appropriate action.

Thanks for posting this shocking story. The dealer should be named and shamed! I am really glad you got everything sorted out in the end thanks to your determination and the help of the main dealer. A very trying time for you, though.

can you check the milage on the hpi and mot checks?

So what's suspected mileage? Car had 5 owners from what I've seen so I wonder which one shaved the miles.

Wow, what a horror :eek:
When you say a dealer do you mean MB UK approved dealer or independent dealer?

Maybe the government should change the MOT requirements so that an MOT test has to be done at the first anniversary of registration instead of the third anniversary. That way, you'd get a good history of mileage records from the end of the first year.

Oh, don't rely on NMR or HPI. They can be subject to abuse either positively or negatively. I bought a CLS that, according to the NMR, had clocked around 70,000 miles in six months, then returned to 12,000 miles a year later. It was an administration error that was finally sorted when Mercedes Benz themselves submitted the relevant service history of the vehicle. Mistakes can happen, and often do.

Some people profit with integrity, while others do not baulk at ripping people off. Scum doesn't even get close to describing the attitudes of some people.

Log Book Loans are the biggest risk out there currently imho.

The Log Book Loan companies don't have to register their interest in a vehicle, so even with an HPI check you are not covered, what I think the HPI company in the link above does is treat it as an insurance policy.

Most do not, so be very careful if buying used to use the official HPI company to make sure you're covered.

Clocking is more rife than ever, so many 3 year old 50k mile cars out there with shagged seats and steering wheels, obvious they have done 100,000 miles at least. So cheap and can save thousands, should be recoded with dvla at every service.

Log Book Loans are the biggest risk out there currently imho.

The Log Book Loan companies don't have to register their interest in a vehicle, so even with an HPI check you are not covered, what I think the HPI company in the link above does is treat it as an insurance policy.

Most do not, so be very careful if buying used to use the official HPI company to make sure you're covered.

Clocking is more rife than ever, so many 3 year old 50k mile cars out there with shagged seats and steering wheels, obvious they have done 100,000 miles at least. So cheap and can save thousands, should be recoded with dvla at every service.
Some cars wear pretty well though so it's hard to tell, I always buy from main dealer, not sure what other precautions can be taken, can MB dealers always check via STAR if tampered with or is it hard to detect nowadays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom