buyer wants to pay cash (in notes) for car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
does that really matter? the car is just there as he couldnt get back - whether he takes it or someone else does then its no concern to me.

. . . only in that you might well think that the £16k is yours because its cash, but if it laundered money etc it can be retrieved from your account.

You'll have heard of cases where someone has bought a car privately only to find it was a stolen car. The insurance co / police retrieve the car to its original owner and the 'buyer' is left out of pocket.

Like I said, its not about being negative, its about you doing what you can to stay in control - good luck and hopefully this is it and alls well that ends well - enjoy your new car ;)

grasmere said:
Regarding the E Class - I would still take great care - ie lock it up or 'hide' it in case a 'friend' comes back for it with a spare key :eek:

;) So pleased to hear you are still alive and have not been abducted.

I would very respectfully disagree with grasmere on this one isolated occassion. The E-class is not your concern. Try not to take any responsibility for it. The owner has decided to leave it and you are certainly not responsible for their actions or decisions. The person sounds a decent sort and you are the only one that has had the priviledge of meeting them.

Good luck with your 7 series.

Take care,
John

. . . in addition - I dont think this is a thread that necessarily 'needs' to be ended because its run on a bit - I think there is a lot of good info and advice here for anyone accepting large amounts of cash for their car - thats why silversaloon asked for advice in the first place

glojo said:
;) So pleased to hear you are still alive and have not been abducted.

I would very respectfully disagree with grasmere on this one isolated occassion. The E-class is not your concern. Try not to take any responsibility for it. The owner has decided to leave it and you are certainly not responsible for their actions or decisions. The person sounds a decent sort and you are the only one that has had the priviledge of meeting them.

Good luck with your 7 series.

Take care,
John

he certainly seemed a pleasant chap, phoned his house number and spoke to his wife, everything checked out ok. Surly the bank cannot come back now saying the money is dodgy - the cashieer checked it there and then - i dont know how banks work but surly the cash will be mixed up in a vault and cannot say for sure what notes were from which customer... but i suppose they may store it based on the accounts or something, i have no idea.

i have not taken any responsiblity for his car. i said he can leave it there outside my house for 3 weeks but take no responsiblity, he says fine, its insured anyway. nothing is in writing regarding his car so to me its just "a car" outside my house really. I will be moving it further down the road tho as we have guests coming next week and they will need to use the space for their car.

EDIT: Just checked on the RAC data check site and his car comes up with the correct details for the car, colour, age, model etc for the registration plate.

Last edited:
SilverSaloon said:
I will be moving it further down the road tho as we have guests coming next week and they will need to use the space for their car.

This is where I poke my oar in. I personally would NOT move it. I accept he is a really nice person, and moving it will not open you up to any silly allegations. BUT have you got full comprehensive cover to drive a car that is not owned by you? My luck is lousy and I just know that I would have my first accident driving a car just a few yards down the road.

Nice alloy wheels that have NEVER been kerbed!!!!!

Your guests will surely forgive you if they have to park that extra distance on just this one occassion?

Good luck,
John

banked cash

glad to here everything went ok ..sorry to be blunt but a'm in a rush and ill just blurt it out .you banked 16 grand well its out of your hands and in the hands of the fraud squad and the inland revenue because any transition over 10 grand and in cash as well... means the bank automaticy notifiy of the above authorities..if they choose to sniff around then hope you have everything in order paperwork wise..just a routine check of a few serial numbers not being a damp squid but this may happen.....good luck with the bmw

Last edited:
sym said:
Glad to hear it was a happy ending !!

S.

How can it be a happy ending, he's gonna buy a god damn BMW :D :D

Good luck with the new wheels when you get it

mark.t said:
glad to here everything went ok ..sorry to be blunt but a'm in a rush and ill just blurt it out .you banked 16 grand well its out of your hands and in the hands of the fraud squad and the inland revenue because any transition over 10 grand and in cash as well... means the bank automaticy notifiy of the above authorities..if they choose to sniff around then hope you have everything in order paperwork wise..just a routine check of a few serial numbers not being a damp squid but this may happen.....good luck with the bmw

Hmm , that sucks .. whats the world coming to where there can be no " cash " deals

they brought these rules in to supposedly counteract terrorism and other money laundering and to make the banks more accountable - for many years they had been accepting money with no questions asked and were capable of being rather unhelpful when any enquiries were made - banks being unhelpful? never :)

Anyway, it doesn't wipe out cash deals and the worst that can happen is there is a remote chance you will be asked why you suddenly had this much cash - you say it was for a car, show them the documents and that's it.

Glad everything went well for you in the end

Andy

I was certainly under the impression that you got a right grilling if you paid in a lump of cash - I've seen stories about banks rejecting even relatively small amounts if they're not happy with the explanation.

I asked my bank manager when I spoke to him five minutes ago. He said in his bank Lloyds the casher should of asked where the money came from and with an answerer like "I sold my car" and there is no other large trans within 3 months it would put down to circumstances and would not be reported.

Although if he started banking similar large amounts of cash the bank would be obliged to file a report with the national crime squad.

Shame on all the distrusting folk in ths forum!
I recently had a somewhat similiar experience. I was selling a MB 300D for £4k. After phoning, 3 very rough looking characters arrived at a late hour from a well known notorious area in Belfast. After a test drive etc, buyer said he would take car. He and I went into the house and he handed over a bundle of notes (which I saw were from different banks) He asked me to count the notes but I declined. While I asked my wife to put away the money, he went outside. As I came out, I heard him say to his 2 mates ' We need to check this car carefully, our friend there did not even count the money'. It was clear that he was going away more worried than I was.
The money was all in order.

Woow! I'm really happy for you!

And a major apology to the buyer of the car if SilverSaloon happened to tell him about this forum...

I guess its all bets off then, no aliens :p
Spinal

Spinal said:
Woow! I'm really happy for you!

And a major apology to the buyer of the car if SilverSaloon happened to tell him about this forum...

I guess its all bets off then, no aliens :p
Spinal

he may visit, i had the MBCLUB.co.uk badge on the rear windscreen! Keep a look out for him as u never know... he has 2 other Benz anyway so maybe he is on here already! :confused:

he got a bargain of a car - only let it go for that price as i didnt want to insure 2 cars, have the problem of one car not getting used etc etc after i pick up the new one next week.

Just read this thread and I'm exhausted! High suspense even after the event.
SilverSaloon said:
..... Really nice guy actually.

Good news - i banked the cash thismorning and everythings fine :)
Wouldn't it be funny if the buyer jonied the forum and then read the thread. :eek: :D :eek: :D
Whatever would he think.

zooman said:
I asked my bank manager when I spoke to him five minutes ago. He said in his bank Lloyds the casher should of asked where the money came from and with an answerer like "I sold my car" and there is no other large trans within 3 months it would put down to circumstances and would not be reported.

Although if he started banking similar large amounts of cash the bank would be obliged to file a report with the national crime squad.

I have on occasion paid in large sums of money with the only question being asked 'Can we talk to you about how to invest this money' They get the same answer each time. 'No'. I'm sure though as others have stated, the old bill would/will be informed if it becomes regular and is always cash!

I have a friend who keeps circa £100,000 cash in his safe at home. All because he doesnt want the banks knowing he has got it and asking questions. Nothing untoward as to how he got the cash he just doesnt want anyone else knowing he's got it. He also keeps guns (legally) very close to it!!!!

All that stress for £3K less than you were asking in the 1st place? Did you get what the car was really worth? Would you go through that again?

fwb44 said:
All that stress for £3K less than you were asking in the 1st place? Did you get what the car was really worth? Would you go through that again?

i was surprising unstressed. i didnt get the chance to log on to see all the replies until the deal was done....

i reckon £16k is a fair price, probably could have got near £17k if i held on for a few weeks (autotrader magazine isnt even out yet with the ad in!) but its not worth the hassle for £1k. i wouldnt of accepted any lower than £16k without taking the COMAND out etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom