buyer wants to pay cash (in notes) for car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
glad to hear it all went well! think you did well overall, and seeing how a silver beast is waiting to be abused, i too would have done the same!! congrats all round!!

SilverSaloon said:
i was surprising unstressed. i didnt get the chance to log on to see all the replies until the deal was done....

i reckon £16k is a fair price, probably could have got near £17k if i held on for a few weeks (autotrader magazine isnt even out yet with the ad in!) but its not worth the hassle for £1k. i wouldnt of accepted any lower than £16k without taking the COMAND out etc.
Following that thread was like turning the pages of a thriller - I only found it this arvo - glad you came out of it OK, half expected you to wind up wearing a concrete overcoat :D Best of luck with the Beemer (god how I hate that expression) :D

A warning....

A bit of advice to those who like the cash method to hide their tracks... I'm self employed and from time to time the Inland Revenue do carry out checks that include any cars registered at the DVLC ,looking in your garage,asking for credit card statements going back 5 years,and checking how many holidays you take etc so they can estimate how much you are spending and whether it matches your declared income.
Large cash payments into your Bank will certainly flag up points that can lead to investigation at some future point.It's important to keep all paperwork so if questions are asked all deposits into your accounts can be accounted for otherwise you will be fined like I was :mad: !

adam

Also, the bank manager may not be interested, but the systems automatically notify the NCS and your account will be flagged to them.

I'm not sure how long this lasts, may be 3 months may be 12.

I used to write security and fraud detection systems for banks (central and high street) before moving into automotive consultancy. most banks will smile quite sweetly and accept the money - they have very limited liability once the transaction is 10k or more.

Fraud detection systems? Perhaps you should have a go at writing one for Visa. They allowed some fraudster to use my account on online gambling sites to the tune of £4K until my wife quizzed my use of the card. :eek:

It was scary how with no fuss they just reimbursed my account immediately and sent me a new card out pronto.The transactions were all in US$, so spotting them should have been a doddle.

fraud is simply not an issue for retailers, banks and credit cards companies...

why?

a - it is additional turnover
b - we all collectively pay for it in next year's charges / premium / prices etc.

so fraud prevention is more of a "moral" issue, in fact unless a particular organisation's costs are being driven up by fraud whilst competitor's costs are not, i simply cannot see how anyone would care - least of all the great british consumer who enjoys paying more than the rest of the world for the same thing

<good to see the thread has been reopended, after we seemed to be using the forum after our bedtime, wildy speculating about the reputation of some unknown buyer of a car!>

Last edited:
Has the buyer collected his old car yet ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom