Buyers advice W123 190 or 500 SEL + Hi!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areofall

Hi, just found and joined the forum, Maurice is the name. My Dad used to drive Mercedes and I've always wanted one and am bitting the bullet. Have had my eye out for sometime for a 190 cosworth but hard to find proper example without selling body organs, but have been toying with the idea of a nice W123 though last night I found a 500 SEL and it's the business! Was wondering is there any engine types I should stay away from or other models I should consider, it's only a second car so fuel, costs, insurance is not that important, either is age but must be a saloon and have rear seat belts. Any advice would be great even a C250td or AMG would do but again hard to find with low milage any good place to look for 2nd hand Merc's. Thanks.

Hi, just found and joined the forum, Maurice is the name. My Dad used to drive Mercedes and I've always wanted one and am bitting the bullet. Have had my eye out for sometime for a 190 cosworth but hard to find proper example without selling body organs, but have been toying with the idea of a nice W123 though last night I found a 500 SEL and it's the business! Was wondering is there any engine types I should stay away from or other models I should consider, it's only a second car so fuel, costs, insurance is not that important, either is age but must be a saloon and have rear seat belts. Any advice would be great even a C250td or AMG would do but again hard to find with low milage any good place to look for 2nd hand Merc's. Thanks.
Thanks for all the great advice, great forum.:rolleyes:

Hi Maurice, welcome to the club. No need to get too disheartened, it's a friendly bunch here and your first post must have gone under the radar somehow!

Your brief has quite a lot of leeway both in terms of age and type of car; a 190 Cosworth is a very different proposition to an S-Class of the same era!

The mechanicals of all the models you're interested in are hardy and tried and tested designs. The main culprit will be rust. As you say, a nice 190 Cosworth is getting hard to find; the youngest 190 (w201 body-shape) is getting-on for 17 years old. Production of the w126 s-class ended in 1991 for the saloons, and the w123's, 1985. That means finding any example without bodywork issues will be tricky.

If you're handy with a spanner, these cars are generally easy to work on, electrics hadn't yet taken-over all their systems, and parts are very reasonable.

Without knowing your budget, it's pretty hard to give a recommendation. The good w123's hold their prices well, topping-out at around £4500. The w126's in all guises don't unless they're in exceptional condition, £1k will get you a dog, £2k something usable, £4 something special. The w201 190 Cosworths hold their prices, unlike the non-Cosworth models, but again, buy based on the car's individual condition. Narrow it down to what you want out of your Merc, for wafting along to a v8 burble, you can't beat the w126 s-class.

Hi Maurice welcome aboard.
190 Cosworth’s are getting harder to track down, well good ones that have a history and little in the way of bodywork issues. That said, not impossible but you have to be vigilant, patient and be prepared to travel to get the right one. S classes stunning cars, well equipped but a money pit if they go wrong, you have been warned. Service histories would be fantastic as at least it gives an idea how the car has been looked after. :)

God luck :thumb:

W126's, the timing chain is always worth checking. Hydraulic tappets can clack when old, until they fill with oil as engine warms up - its ignorable but another possible fault. Rust wise, look up under the parcel shelf from the boot area, very well known window seal leak can cause awkward rust there. Wheel arches perhaps but they arent so awkward anyway. They're as solid as you'd expect normally. Love mine, cost £400 and been superb from day 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom