Buying 2002 ML270 CDI and looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

epaway

Car
2002 ML270 CDI
Hi all,

Just agreed to a private sale of a 2002 plate ML270 CDI, which i've seen and driven in. It's smooth, and everything appears to work. The owner has given me a copy of the service history and all receipts over the last 5 years. Looking at this has started to worry me though. In the last 5 years, the following has been changed:

• 2 new fuel injectors (2011)
  • New engine ECU (2010)
  • new diesel pressure regulator valve (2010)
  • new high pressure diesel pump (2010)
  • new windscreen washer jet motors (2010)
  • 1 new fuel injector (2010)
  • New battery (2009)
  • New suspension angle potentiometer bracket (2009)
  • 1 new fuel injector (2009)
  • new air mass sensor (2009)
  • leaking power steering repaired (2009)
  • New brake servo assembly (2008)
  • 2 New rear shock absorbers/springs (2007)
  • New main drive belt (2007)
  • New outer and inner anti roll bar (2007)
  • New antiroll bar brushes (2007)
  • New PDC system to rear of car (dunno what this is?) (2006)

I've obviously not included the various tyre, brake pad/disk and sensor changes, but the list above does look excessive. Any thoughts?

I guess one way to think on it is At least I won't have a lot of it happening to me?

Thanks for your thoughts

Paul

I went for the facelift 2003 version....seems like less problems to be had, but then again i hear a lot of things about mls. You either get a great ml...or a mare. With that list....?

Just my opinion though and im sure other pre facelift ml owners may say different...if you go for it be sure to have a good indie mb garage in your area....

its a Dec 2002 reg, and has the indicators on wing mirrors. Is this not the facelift? Thanks for reply though. Slightly worrying...

Or you can look at it another way; someone else has paid for all the little niggles to be sorted...

Yes thats the facelift version then... prob the first batch i guess....

Like i said....mls just seem hit and miss...you just have to make a judgement...at least you do have a history of its life though which is helpful. When i was looking i found very little with history....

Other than the list, tyres and brakes are the next big expense with my ml....my fingers crossed of course!

Just had a full b service on mine at a great indie garage who are ex merc mechanics which cost me £200 for my piece of mind.

You didn't tell us how many miles are on the clock but from looking at the list most issues are mileage related so I wouldn't worry too much.
ECU has probably been remapped for more power and fuel economy and was flashed back to OEM before sale (pure guess).
Suspension normally goes on these @ 80-130k miles.
Leaking power steering hoses are common across W163 (had them on prefacelift and facelift ML).
Air mass sensor is mileage related
Bushes too
PDC is parktronic system. Probably sensor failed that's all.

Contrary to popular belief these are quite reliable cars if maintained on time. Your list proves car has been taken care of by previous owners. I personally would worry if there very little to no history at all.
Enjoy.

Thanks! That's very reassuring. The car's done 90k miles, has only had one owner and with the money i can see they've spend, cost was not an issue. So fingers crossed it was mainly mileage related, and I get many happy miles out of it myself!

Mine is at 142k abd going strong. Mls just roll on! How much are they asking out of curiosity?

The 5cyl engine is the same that they use on the daddy of the Sprinters and are good for 500k if maintained properly.

Hi all,

Just agreed to a private sale of a 2002 plate ML270 CDI, which i've seen and driven in. It's smooth, and everything appears to work. The owner has given me a copy of the service history and all receipts over the last 5 years. Looking at this has started to worry me though. In the last 5 years, the following has been changed:

• 2 new fuel injectors (2011)
  • New engine ECU (2010)
  • new diesel pressure regulator valve (2010)
  • new high pressure diesel pump (2010)
  • new windscreen washer jet motors (2010)
  • 1 new fuel injector (2010)
  • New battery (2009)
  • New suspension angle potentiometer bracket (2009)
  • 1 new fuel injector (2009)
  • new air mass sensor (2009)
  • leaking power steering repaired (2009)
  • New brake servo assembly (2008)
  • 2 New rear shock absorbers/springs (2007)
  • New main drive belt (2007)
  • New outer and inner anti roll bar (2007)
  • New antiroll bar brushes (2007)
  • New PDC system to rear of car (dunno what this is?) (2006)
I've obviously not included the various tyre, brake pad/disk and sensor changes, but the list above does look excessive. Any thoughts?

I guess one way to think on it is At least I won't have a lot of it happening to me?

Thanks for your thoughts

Paul

What are the two items highlighted? I want to have a look at mine to check the condition.

Does this 02 plate have any rust?

I have a 2002 ML - Facelift version - USA built - 270CDI

Your ML is a fair price for a 90k vehicle - in fact a good price. Being honest about it - I have never had an injector go or many of the issues you have seen. Suggests heavy use, by definition....or a fastideous owner.

The only things I have done are minor and major service at correct intervals; EGR cleaned, thermostat replaced, Starter motor changed and MAF replaced. I have also had to have a new air-con radiator due to stone damage (£300 + re-gas) and a new rear shock and spring - broken spring in a pot hole so the council paid! Also the ABS pump relay went bang - £12 to fix.

I have the ATF fluid changed at 40k along with poly belt and sterring fluid, minor servicing every 10k and keep an eye on economy - if the economy goes to pot you probably need to replace MAF, thermostat if it is running cold clean egr or manifold.

I am upto 83k miles at the moment, I have a couple of rust spots on the arches and where the paint has been chipped (to be sorted!) - before 2004 they are not galvanised steel.

Get under it and check the rear suspension - springs tend to break and are expensive to replace (you normally have to buy the spring and shock as a complete unit). Also a sign of heavy usage - check bushes and ball joint as replacement of the lot is a £1k job.

Generally, nothing goes wrong and running costs are similiar to a large family car - in fact allot of part prices are lower than Ford part prices.

Engine and gearbox (if auto) are solid.

Nice to haves:

Comand
Lux pack (heated seats, auto aircon, electric seats and electric heated mirrors with auto dipping left mirror)
Leather

I also have ipod integration, DVD system in comand factory fit, F & R parking sensors and an engine remap to 210BHP - which I cannot recommend enough!!!!!

Very "upgradeable" and easy to work on vehicle for the home mechanic as it is a van engine.

There are lots of retrofits available for W163 ML's.

Thanks everyone, a lot of very useful information here. Certainly makes me feel better about completing the purchase. The family selling the car certainly seem honest, and for me that means a lot.

There's no rust I could note. Just some scratches and a small crack in front bumper - nothing I wouldn't expect to see in a car of this age.

I'm definitely keen on the Remap, but not something I know a lot about.

I've just had a quote from Warranty Direct for a year at £450. For me, seems like good piece of mind in case anything expensive goes wrong, but I've never used a warranty company so don't know whether they're good for paying out if the time arises. Anyone used them before?

Without seeing the car, I'd say it's just been well maintained. Many items are just age/wear related, and don't really suggest a lemon.

The one thing I didn't spot but might have expected to see - in the last 5 years and current mileage - is glow plugs.

Check wheel arches and tailgate for rust. To spot the tailgate rust open the tailgate so the number plate is at eye level and look up underneath the plastic handle. You'll see teh number plate lamps and the tailgate release switch/lever. Look around the release very closely. I'd ask the owner if any rust has been attended to.

In my experiences they're great cars. We still have ours 7 years later!!

Thanks everyone, a lot of very useful information here. Certainly makes me feel better about completing the purchase. The family selling the car certainly seem honest, and for me that means a lot.

There's no rust I could note. Just some scratches and a small crack in front bumper - nothing I wouldn't expect to see in a car of this age.

I'm definitely keen on the Remap, but not something I know a lot about.

I've just had a quote from Warranty Direct for a year at £450. For me, seems like good piece of mind in case anything expensive goes wrong, but I've never used a warranty company so don't know whether they're good for paying out if the time arises. Anyone used them before?

have a quick radiator check - you have the main radiator at the front and the one for the aircon and ATF (I think).

Generally parts are cheap on the ML - check ebay and type in "ML Thermostat". And most things are home fixable/home serviceable.

A warranty will more than likely cover the parts that never go wrong on the ML and not cover "serviceable" items - like thermostats! So, I would not bother - just get good RAC membership.

Our ML became the "only" car a few years ago - we consolidated from 2 cars to one car and I cycle most places. We had the choice of our Newer BMW to sell or the ML - The ML won and has been very faithful!

As said - watch fuel economy - should do about 30mpg generally, if that drops then you have a problem somewhere.

Should be fitted with ISOFIX in the rear seats for kid seats too. I invested in a bootliner and boot mat to stop the carpet getting wrecked - splits with the seats too - great for the dogs/crap stuff that gets thron into the car!

Tyres are not so cheap - 255 x65 x 17 - I use General Grabber UHP (road/light offroad) - £125 each.

Just make sure that when you wash it - do a good job and get into the backs of the wheel arches - will save you rust pain long term!

In the next couple of years I will buy another ML - probably the 350CDI version. But the 270CDI does not go wrong, so I am reluctant to sell it at the moment.

For fuel economy I would have preferred a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel - but they are expensive secondhand and not quite big enough for my needs.

Picked it up yesterday evening, yey! and so far, VERY happy with it. Has a small bit of tailgate rust, a couple of stone chips and a broken handle for flipping the middle row of seats forward, but apart from that, and needing a good clean. I think i've done pretty well.

Will post some pics asap - thanks for all your help guys.

Now for all my queries...only kidding, i'll post in the appropriate places.

Paul

Picked it up yesterday evening, yey! and so far, VERY happy with it. Has a small bit of tailgate rust, a couple of stone chips and a broken handle for flipping the middle row of seats forward, but apart from that, and needing a good clean. I think i've done pretty well.

Will post some pics asap - thanks for all your help guys.

Now for all my queries...only kidding, i'll post in the appropriate places.

Paul

Welcome to MB ownership!

I would get the rust sorted, don't let it get a hold!

Glad you are happy!

Hi you did not say what the miles were on the car ,if the car has been doing lots of mls then things like shocks etc are going to wear .
As you yourself said it less for you to worry about and if there is receipts then i assume the car went through a proper repair workshop .
These are a pretty sound engine and if service history is good and got reg oil changes you should be ok .
I know 2 people own this model and its said that electrics are the biggest problem but they have been good so far and one is running great with 147000 mls.
enjoy

you should have no problem thats about 10000 mls a yr / perhaps if your lucky you will not need to spend any money on it for a long time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom