Buying 2nd user S350d (W222)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
I know every car if different Wonderingcarand we all have different experiences but I'm wondering if anybody has experience of buying and running a second user W222 in S350d Form. I'd be looking in area of £30k which looks to be good for a 2015/16 plate car.

I know every car if different Wonderingcarand we all have different experiences but I'm wondering if anybody has experience of buying and running a second user W222 in S350d Form. I'd be looking in area of £30k which looks to be good for a 2015/16 plate car.

They are a gorgeous looking car and not many reports of unreliability so far although they are relatively young.

I’d want to be sure I wasn’t buying an ex private hire vehicle, lots of these used in central London in the carriage trade for large corporates etc.

I passengered in one with over 100k on the clock just under 3 years old. You really couldn’t have guessed from looking at or sitting in it which in a way is worrying if they go to an unscrupulous dealer for resale as mileage could be adjusted prior to first MOT.

They are a gorgeous looking car and not many reports of unreliability so far although they are relatively young.

I’d want to be sure I wasn’t buying an ex private hire vehicle, lots of these used in central London in the carriage trade for large corporates etc.

I passengered in one with over 100k on the clock just under 3 years old. You really couldn’t have guessed from looking at or sitting in it which in a way is worrying if they go to an unscrupulous dealer for resale as mileage could be adjusted prior to first MOT.

Yes looked at one that had carridge trade written all over, fail on 1st MOT suggested less than careful care. Guess what I need to stumble across I'd that that rare one that was purchased by wealthy private individual or MDs Co car, one wigh impeccable maint history.

There's someone on here who bought a new one a couple or so years ago.

I can picture the avatar but can't remember the forum name.

Hens teeth my friend. They’re mostly LWB also ...

Is there a particular reason you are looking for the diesel model ?
I decided to buy an S Class back in February this year. I was initially searching for an S350 ( most are LWB and that was what I wanted ) however I was particular in the fact that I did not want black exterior and I did not want a black interior.
My budget also meant I was looking at 2014/15.
I was not having much luck for a couple of weeks searching and was also wary that most black ones may have been "Knightsbridge Taxis ", it seemed the odds were against me.
Suddenly I thought about getting a petrol car as this would probably rule out the majority that may have been Chauffeur cars.
Bingo !! I found a 2015 model S500 from a Mercedes main dealer, it was one private owner and 40000 miles, full history and Mercedes warranty etc etc. The best thing was it was Diamond Silver with Crystal grey and seashell grey interior, it even had the rare Magic Body Control as well.
With careful driving I have had as much as 33mpg but I do tend to drive a bit more quickly and it is still upper 20's so very pleased about that.

Is there a particular reason you are looking for the diesel model ?
I decided to buy an S Class back in February this year. I was initially searching for an S350 ( most are LWB and that was what I wanted ) however I was particular in the fact that I did not want black exterior and I did not want a black interior.
My budget also meant I was looking at 2014/15.
I was not having much luck for a couple of weeks searching and was also wary that most black ones may have been "Knightsbridge Taxis ", it seemed the odds were against me.
Suddenly I thought about getting a petrol car as this would probably rule out the majority that may have been Chauffeur cars.
Bingo !! I found a 2015 model S500 from a Mercedes main dealer, it was one private owner and 40000 miles, full history and Mercedes warranty etc etc. The best thing was it was Diamond Silver with Crystal grey and seashell grey interior, it even had the rare Magic Body Control as well.
With careful driving I have had as much as 33mpg but I do tend to drive a bit more quickly and it is still upper 20's so very pleased about that.
to
Rovow1

Do you mind if I as how much you paid? Understand if you don't want to divulge.

You get a much better spec on an S500 than the S350d.

S500 LWB only though. No SWB.

If you are going to the waters edge of an S Class, you might as well dive in with a bigger engine rather than dip your toe in with a 350d.

Unless you are a chauffeur or do a lot of miles, the extra will be worth it!

I thought I got a pretty good deal as it ticked all the boxes and more ! It was £33k including a years road fund licence, admin fee ( hate that ! ) and they also did the next service free of charge when it was due in June for me as well. There was virtually no movement on the price but I had done my research and knew it was exactly what I wanted. It was less than 40 minutes from me as well, I would have been prepared to travel the length of the country for the right car.

I thought I got a pretty good deal as it ticked all the boxes and more ! It was £33k including a years road fund licence, admin fee ( hate that ! ) and they also did the next service free of charge when it was due in June for me as well. There was virtually no movement on the price but I had done my research and knew it was exactly what I wanted. It was less than 40 minutes from me as well, I would have been prepared to travel the length of the country for the right car.

Food for thought. What sort of MPG do you get and is that on the trip comp or true tank to tank?

I know of an S500L which was a chauffeur car although on a 63 plate with 25k - I discovered it was the "airport run" car only hence the low mileage.

MBC is amazing isn't it!

Oops just spotted you've already answered that high 20's careful driving 33mpg

Yes, I've experienced very similar economy in an S500L.

I know of an S500L which was a chauffeur car although on a 63 plate with 25k - I discovered it was the "airport run" car only hence the low mileage.

MBC is amazing isn't it!

Yes, I've experienced very similar economy in an S500L.

A few years ago I did a direct comparison between two of my cars, I have the 4.2 supercharged Jaguar Super V8 and also the 3.0 Jaguar diesel XJL. By coincidence I had to do two trips to the other side of Liverpool just two weeks apart. On the first trip there was just two of us and I took the older ( smaller interior ) petrol supercharged car, on the second trip there was 5 of us so I took the larger LWB diesel car.
On both journeys I stopped at a Little Chef near Crewe on the way up for a bit to eat. On checking the details, using both trip computers, I found according the car computers, that I had averaged exactly 70mph from home to Crewe, the petrol car had averaged 28mpg and the diesel car averaged 38mpg, both journeys were generally very fast journeys.
When looking into the cost per litre of fuel the diesel is normally about 2p per litre more.
Taking the up and back journey distance of 450 miles ( up past Liverpool and back to Hampshire ) I found that the actual price difference of the fuel used was about £17 which equalled about 4p per mile !!!
With careful driving a higher mpg could be achieved but if you do the maths you may find with the mileage you cover in a year the actual extra fuel cost is not as much as you may think.
I think the petrol S500 is an amazing engine, it is so quiet and the other day someone commented they thought it could have almost been an electric car !

Yes, it's an absolute peach with the 7g+ gearbox.

And if you nail it, it just keeps on giving relentlessly, although I've only done this less than half a dozen times.

I'm sure the AMG 63 is quicker but I can't believe the difference is substantial although I prefer the torque-converter-based 7g rather than MCT as it seems smoother more of the time to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom