buying a 190 ???? (dumb newbie question....sorry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flatinfifth

Car
waiting for insurance cheque
hi all

i apologise for asking a dumb newbie question but i am just that a newbie !

thinking seriously about buying a 190 and have about £700 to spend , i know thats not a lot of dosh but i have seen cars with between 110 and 150k miles and on varoius plates (A-H).
anyway what do i look for, are autos better than manuals ??
any normals merc problems i need to look for what is 'galactic' mileage ??
deisel or petrol ?? insurance costs (i am 42 with not a lot of no claims in a rural-ish area)

any help and advice gratefully received :)

cheers in advance

anyone else in glo'shire on here ??

Hi and welcome Flatinfifth. I have just part exed my 190E. It had 137K on the clock and was 1988 vintage. I am led to believe that they go for between £750 - £900. Auto is far better in my opinion than manual. Things to look for. Steering bushes, smooth gear change, Exhaust, noisey timing chain, blue smoke when accelerating hard, rust around the wheel arches and play in the rear dif. Insurance was costing me £320 per year fully comp. You talk about galactic mileage? The car I exed it for has 197K on the clock and is a smooth as silk. Members here will talk about cars doing far in excess of that so Galactic mileage is something that can only be described as 300k plus. If you could find a good deisel then I think that is the way you should go as the petrol models do about 28 - 33 mpg. Hope this answeres your questions, if not, please feel free to ask.

Ian

welcome to the best club there is, as Ian says go for auto, iv'e got a manual and i don't like it, they say auto is bullet proof but don't know about that, my daughter's boyfriend has just bought a B reg 190 in above average condition but not mint for £250.00 and at the moment everything seems to be working, it has 100k on the clock and history, try and get history if you can. HTH Rob

buying a 190

thanks ian, much appreciated :)

if i need any more advice i will beat a path to your door (so to speak)

thanks again, hope to be in a 190 very soon :)

buying a 190

ditto rob f :)

and thanks for the welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom