buying a 211 e500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dubburke

Car
mercedes c220cdi auto
I have a few doubts but the car looks very clean, and has an lpg conversion
I will viewing tomorrow anyhow.
The car history cannot be checked as according to DVLA the registration does not exist ( private plate transfer)?
Obviously rust, rear suspension, electicrical issues to check, i am more worried about the engine!
Any help would be appreciated.
He states an E500 AMG, but the car looks like a 500, but states 320bhp, which is not the AMG power figure or the E500 figures.
thanks

57382183_162228814784529_8834836861328293888_n.jpg

excuse my inability of posting photos

Before the cls I had a 211 E500. The power is 306bhp, there are no AMGs only the "sport" which has an Amg style body kit Amg wheels and exhaust tips. The car you are looking at is not a sport, does not have the body kit but does seem to have the 18 inch amg wheels. All that said it is a great car. Almost silent with good performance and a bullet proof engine.

That is definitely a n/a M113 under the bonnet. 306 bhp. A couple of eBay badges - AMG for the boot and 'Affalterbach Special Edition' for the dash - would no doubt bring it up to 320 bhp :rolleyes:.

Ask to see the actual MoT certificate to find out what DVLA thinks it is registered as.

I Google'd the reg, and got my first ever Googlewhack. Woo Hoo...

If it's a good un, it could be a very good bet. It's in my absolute favourite colour scheme - dark metallic blue with a light beige/parchment interior - as well, but I don't know what that Chromaflair paint will look like from other angles.

I've had four or five W211 estates, and for my money the E500 was the best overall package of them all. I've got a bad case of AMG-itis, otherwise I'd still have the E500.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with LPG on Mercedes?

Be careful with no history available by dvla had bad experience in the past like clocked back mileage. They register the car in europe clock it back and reregister in uk or something like that

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

much appreciated
I had one which went to a forum member.

There's a decent spec on that one; cooled front seats, heated,rears, memory seats, bi xenons, designo paint, AMG 18s, good colour combo.

But its an Avangarde not an AMG though! Why do people make this stuff up? That alone would make me cautious as he either doesn't know what he's talking about or is happy to tell porkies.

I've had one or two 211 estates now :) and I have to say that I wouldn't touch a car like this which has been converted to LPG. Why does an owner convert to LPG? Main reason is surely to save money, so if the fuel budget is under pressure, then the maintenance budget probably is as well. Then there's the issue of where the LPG tank is fitted - it'll be taking up valuable storage space wherever it's fitted. If the owner can't be honest about what model the car really is, then what else is he not being honest about? Avoid it and look for another one would be my advice.

Anyone have any experience with LPG on Mercedes?
Yes, I’ve a 211 E55K that has been running on LPG for over five years now. Has the same sort of engine as yours - an M113 V8, but with a supercharger.

Runs smooth as silk, has plenty of power - most people would struggle to tell any difference in the real world.

Have you any details on the LPG installation? Either type of system or who fitted it etc?

What type/size tank does it have? If it’s a toroidal tank located in the spare wheel well it won’t use any luggage space at all :thumb:

A decent install should run the same on either fuel, with seamless switchover etc.

As said spec wise it looks like a decent one. Regards the history - I’m guessing you’re trying to look up the British MOT history? It’s on NI plates, so if it’s been used over there they have a different type of test that does not show up on the MOT history checker.

Plate checks out with the DVLA and they have it registered for dual fuels. The data card also shows it was a UK supplied car so I don’t think you’ll find it was registered elsewhere.

Good luck :)

Before the cls I had a 211 E500. The power is 306bhp, there are no AMGs only the "sport" which has an Amg style body kit Amg wheels and exhaust tips. The car you are looking at is not a sport, does not have the body kit but does seem to have the 18 inch amg wheels.
The “Sport” model came in late 2005 for the W211, anything before that would be “Avantgarde” with an AMG kit.

Well I think you should be careful about buying the car,I like the colour and interior,I would be asking about the LPG system,see if the seller knows when it was fitted and what make it is,also when it was serviced last,if you go and see this car make certain the car has not been started so when you take it for a run you can see when it changes to LPG ,let it warm up and then floor it and see if the system can cope,as always these cars need a decent service record,best of luck.

Yes mine was an avantgard fitted with the factory "AMG" bodykit, wheels etc. The sport was post facelift. Interestingly the non AMG bodykit is different to the one fitted to the 55ks, particularly the sills and rear. Not as aggressive.

I think it is worth a look today, and he is only asking £2k, love the older Mercs, it will complement my W203 wagon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom