Buying a 280ce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamie-M

Car
BMW
Hi, I'm off to look at a W123 280ce on a W plate today. The car is advertised as top notch. I'll be deciding that for myself but was wondering apart from going over the usual places, where I should be looking in particular on these cars for rust and anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

history
mileage
engine and controller
if it has sunroof check carpets are dry
electric working
drive on motor and see performance of engine and gearbox changing
aircon worked if fitted
gearbox changes over 60mph
no noises on power steering whilst stationary with engine started full lock to both sides

Hi, I'm off to look at a W123 280ce on a W plate today. The car is advertised as top notch. I'll be deciding that for myself but was wondering apart from going over the usual places, where I should be looking in particular on these cars for rust and anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

Rust certainly. Check carpets whether it has sunroof or not - corroded bottom wets carpets. The thing that killed our W123 was rust, the rest was rock solid.

I found the 6 cyl. M110 (is that right?) engine to be robust and willing, even with 7 people, top boxes and bikes hanging off the back. Tendency to lay carpet of blue smoke on serious overrun (100 mph) but nothing that regular topping up of oil won't cure.

For your peace of mind, check compliance of throttle linkage. A jammed open throttle on a damp road with all the children on board has a stimulating effect on the bowels.

Best of luck.

RayH

I went to look today, the thing was like a patchwork quilt on the sills and underneath, patches in the engine bay, all welding was very poor. Such a shame, on test drive the engine and box were amazing and the handling was brilliant for one of those! Oh and the accelerator pedal fell off aswell due to corrosion! The search continues...!
Thanks for the advice!

A W123 priced under 6K is most likely going to be rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom