Buying a 2nd Hand Merc - advice needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Isn't this model quite expensive to service, as a result of the tight packaging making access difficult to sime parts?

I’m hoping I won’t have the need to replace many parts :confused:

Welcome to the forum and I Do not think you are mad Ellie, always worth doing research before you buy.
As it happens I actually bought an A class earlier this year without doing any research or even driving one
I did however know it was exceptional from the description and photos . They are really great little cars and I would certainly take the time to post pics and info here to get feedback.
From what I discovered after I had bought mine I would go for a manual gearbox as any problems with an automatic box would cost more than the car to rectify. There are quite a few around so have a look, try Gumtree for local cars . Hope you find a good one without any rust and a good service history.

The seller has advertised that it has a full service history, so fingers crossed all of the other suggested things to look out for will turn out okay and I may have a car by the end of the day (fingers crossed):)

I’m hoping I won’t have the need to replace many parts :confused:
Things like springs, shocks, suspension parts are as easy to change as any car. There should be no knocks or bangs from either end, the steering shouldn't be overly heavy (assuming the tyre pressures are correct) if there's a slight clunk felt through the steering wheel, don't panic, it is probably a particular spline joint that goes a bit dry with time. It's a result of having to design a right hand drive set up for a car originally designed to be left hand drive.
You may not even notice it.
;)

Looks a good car from the advert .

As others have said automatic ones can be problematic.

If you haven’t got your mind set on that model , also look at C Class .

A similar age C180 ( W203) can be had for similar money , there are lots around , probably more than A Classes . Depends if you’d prefer an innovatively styled hatchback , or a more traditional looking 4 door saloon ( with the traditional grille and star on the bonnet - which always makes you feel you’re driving something set apart from all others ) .

The choice is yours .

Welcome to the forum.

I've helped a few bods at my work buy cars since I've been here.

If you are looking at a 15 odd year old car on a small budget, you are going to need a lot of luck to not need to repair / replace parts.

History and condition of the car are important but part of the battle is luck.

If you can change parts yourself, that saves some of the cost but you ideally want to not be relying on the car as it will be out of action until you do potentially.

You might be better upping your budget and / or considering a cheaper car to start with.

For £5k, you can pick up a lot newer Kia / Hyundai.

I do concede that if you are any kind of petrolhead, you will feel like you have died inside if you do but if budget is constraining, it might be worth considering.

Reactions: 219
Hi all,

So thanks for your help. I’ve been to see the car and had a good look, test etc... it seems absolutely fine. No sign of rust, a lot of mud up in the rear wheel arch however so ‘ll be giving it a really good clean.
The only negative was the hubcaps were a bit more scuffed up than visible in the photos - but that’s a minor. The engine was near enough silent and I took a good look at what I could see of the subframe, again no rust.
I’m going to sort out my insurance and head back to collect tonight or first thing tomorrow!!

Welcome to the forum.

I've helped a few bods at my work buy cars since I've been here.

If you are looking at a 15 odd year old car on a small budget, you are going to need a lot of luck to not need to repair / replace parts.

History and condition of the car are important but part of the battle is luck.

If you can change parts yourself, that saves some of the cost but you ideally want to not be relying on the car as it will be out of action until you do potentially.

You might be better upping your budget and / or considering a cheaper car to start with.

For £5k, you can pick up a lot newer Kia / Hyundai.

I do concede that if you are any kind of petrolhead, you will feel like you have died inside if you do but if budget is constraining, it might be worth considering.

Hi John,

I appreciate what you’re saying and of course it is always down to luck, but I can hopefully minimise chances if I’m checking all the history available.
Unfortunately, even this car I’m having to borrow money from the Bank of Mum :( so increasing my budget isn’t possible.

Good luck, hope it works out .

Remember to come back here if anything you’re not sure about .

Good luck and I hope it gives you years of service. Enjoy:D:D

Indeed - the very best of British with it!

You may well be lucky.

5375216F-F58C-4A45-A8FC-533579E063A6.png
I’ve been and collected my first ever Mercedes-Benz!

The first step on the ladder toward my GLE ;)

Thank you again to all of your advice... I’m sure the guys selling were shocked to see me turn up in a dress and heels, the sticking my head in the bonnet look for rust on the part of a car I’ve never even been aware of before and getting my hand covered in muck checking each wheel arch!!:p

But, I’m sure that the car is in great condition considering it’s age!

If I do ever have any problems or questions then this forum will definitely be my first port of call!!

Have a great weekend!:)

Welcome to the forum Ellie and congrats on getting your first MB.:banana:

Congratulations, it's a bit more than just transport, as you say it's A Mercedes

View attachment 87374
I’ve been and collected my first ever Mercedes-Benz!

The first step on the ladder toward my GLE ;)

Thank you again to all of your advice... I’m sure the guys selling were shocked to see me turn up in a dress and heels, the sticking my head in the bonnet look for rust on the part of a car I’ve never even been aware of before and getting my hand covered in muck checking each wheel arch!!:p

But, I’m sure that the car is in great condition considering it’s age!

If I do ever have any problems or questions then this forum will definitely be my first port of call!!

Have a great weekend!:)
Good for you, great choice. :)

Hi Ellie, welcome and congrats on your lovely A class.
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party ...

I've a had a few W168s over the years, and have done a number of mods - DRLs, audio, reversing cam, interior and exterior retrofits, etc.
Would be more than happy to share :)

Well done and congratulations.

Should you need any help (hopefully not to soon), you will get your answers here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom