Buying a b-class with 40k miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnw100

Car
note
Hi All,

Had a look at a 2013 b-class yesterday, its immaculate and comes with a lot of extras but i`m pondering over the fact thats its done 40,000 miles. The price reflects this but i`m just concerned i`m going to have to pay out with servicing eventually on wear and tear. We only do about £5k a year in our existing car so wont add a great deal.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

John

In addition to my CLS, we also have a B Class (2007) that has now done 85,000 miles. Apart from needing the pads replaced, it has not been touched mechanically, and it does around 7,000 miles a year.

What engine does yours have? Diesel or Petrol? Auto or Manual?

As for servicing, you could use the main dealer in your area, or use a good independent. You will notice quite a difference in price.

If you are worried about owning this car, you could purchase a warranty from MB directly. For our B class, it would cost around £700 a year with an excess of £250, but your B class would be quite a bit cheaper due to its age and mileage.

https://www.mercedes-benzwarranty.co.uk/Login/Index

I have my CLS and B class maintained by a local garage for a fraction of the cost of the main dealer. Recently, a temperature sensor failed on my CLS and our local garage replace it for a mere £148 (the part was £90 plus labour). Other than that, nitto.

Whether you use a main dealer or independent dealer is your choice. Don't be fooled in to thinking that a main dealer service report will enhance the residual of your car, as any proven service regime will count. Just keep any invoices or receipts to demonstrate a service regime.

All dealers, whether they be main dealers or independents, will follow the MB guidelines for servicing, which are available to all.

40k miles over three years is nothing for a diesel and I wouldn't even blink if it was 60k miles over the same period. It all about history (servicing) and condition. This thing about mileage is a hangover from when car engines really were knackered at about 100k and big numbers still hold some fear for many.

To put it into perspective, that 13,000 miles a year and for a diesel, better that i.e. being used, than it doing 4k a year stuck on the school run.

I have a B180 diesel and have just passed the 100k miles and other than wear and tare items, the only item to replace was a front wheel CV joint at a total cost of £80 all in. I average just under 40mpg with a best of mid 50's.

40000miles now and 5ooo miles per annum for 3 years will give a 6 year old car with 55000 miles, well averaged :D

40k is nothing to worry about. It's an 'average' mileage these days.

Any additional wear and tear (whether actual or perceived) will probably more than be made up with a saving in price over what you'd pay for a lower mileage example.

Take advantage of that saving whilst enjoying a younger car that's been well excercised - as said when you come to sell in another 3 years it will have average mileage anyway. Win-win :)

My 2012 B200 CDI has topped 40,000 with no issues so far. Personally, I consider that a relatively low mileage for a diesel. Hope I am not making myself a hostage to fortune!

Thanks all for the comments. You`ve put my mind at rest.

One other question, is there any way of finding out a mercedes full specification + extras by its license plate? Would mercedes have records of this?

Cheers

Personally based on 5k per year I would buy a petrol. No turbos or dpf to go wrong. Cost per mile will be negligible as petrol car will be cheaper to begin with.

Thanks all for the comments. You`ve put my mind at rest.

One other question, is there any way of finding out a mercedes full specification + extras by its license plate? Would mercedes have records of this?

Cheers

Get hold of the VIN and post it up here, someone will be along to decode it for you.

Hi again,

Am due to collect this car, and been checking the service history. Was last serviced at mercedes last year (july) and 28k miles. Hasnt been serviced until the garage i`m buying it from, it now has 40k miles. Theyve changed the front brake pads.
Any one know what should be done on the car around the mileage it is now? I`d like to make sure theyve checked everything.

Thanks

Oil and filter change. Check the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom