Buying a C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottishpedro

Car
C63
Hi all

I am likely about to buy a 2016 C63 with performance plus pack. Its only got 15k miles on it and is brilliant blue, looks great. I currently drive a remapped 2014 Audi S4, I may be mad moving to a RWD 470bhp car in November, here's hoping for a mild Scottish winter!

Just a few questions

The dealer sent a video of the car, I did not see the button to open/close the exhaust valves, is this a feature than can be programmed in individual mode on all cars or will I have to put the car in sport+ mode to activate this?
Service intervals / costs - I have read services vary from approx £300-700 depending on what needs done? Are there any other big maintenance costs to be aware of? Any timing chain issues or is that more the w204 cars that can suffer this?
Any common faults to be aware of / look out for?

Thanks all in advance

Pete

A 2016 car won't have 'performance pack plus', maybe premium plus? Is it a coupe or a saloon you are thinking of buying?

Its a little confusing, a 2016 car even in coupe form will likely be be a W/C205 variant, so if you don't see the exhaust button (right side of infotainment wheel) then it doesn't have it. Standard sound track for this car, no exhaust flaps/valves.

You are about right on track with the service costs between A and B service schedules (10-12k miles apart or 1 year). No reported issues of timing chains as yet on M177 engines.

You will need winter boots for it beyond doubt.... especially if it's a none 'S' variant as it has no electronic LSD.

Without the button on the console the car won't have the switchable performance exhaust.
You could listen out for low speed brake squeal - this was a warranty issue (I had all my pads replaced because of it). Otherwise... solid cars.

Hi all

I am likely about to buy a 2016 C63 with performance plus pack. Its only got 15k miles on it and is brilliant blue, looks great. I currently drive a remapped 2014 Audi S4, I may be mad moving to a RWD 470bhp car in November, here's hoping for a mild Scottish winter!

Just a few questions

The dealer sent a video of the car, I did not see the button to open/close the exhaust valves, is this a feature than can be programmed in individual mode on all cars or will I have to put the car in sport+ mode to activate this?
Service intervals / costs - I have read services vary from approx £300-700 depending on what needs done? Are there any other big maintenance costs to be aware of? Any timing chain issues or is that more the w204 cars that can suffer this?
Any common faults to be aware of / look out for?

Thanks all in advance

Pete
Brilliant blue is a good choice (I made the leap from an A6 Avant in July and missing 4WD now its got cold and damp/icy but the car is so worth it for the noise alone). The switchable exhaust, as I discovered is actually more elusive than I thought - particularly on saloons (which is what I wanted), I spent quite a while finding the right car and examining a lot of zoomed photos of the centre console :).

Hold out for the right car and also, don't be fobbed off by some of the dealers (if you're looking at 'Approved Used'). I started out wanting a dealer car for warranty etc and quickly realised after multiple phone calls with what sounded like teenager's in the various sales departments that I knew more about the car than them (always disappointing). Ended up buying from an Indie and just made sure that I have a slush fund in case of emergency maintenance :)

Good luck.....

Brilliant blue is a good choice (I made the leap from an A6 Avant in July and missing 4WD now its got cold and damp/icy but the car is so worth it for the noise alone).
You’re just using the wrong tyres for the season. Get some winter tyres on there.

You’re just using the wrong tyres for the season. Get some winter tyres on there.
Actually I was all set to put some winter tyres on as I had planned a skiing trip to France in January, but given the current situation, we've postponed it and will do it next year instead. So because I use the car very little at the moment, I opted to buy 4x new PS4S's ready for better weather (and also a driving course I have planned for January/February). I'll just be 'ginger' on the loud pedal :)

Thanks for the replies

Yes sorry, its premium plus not performance plus. Adds some nice extras to the car but not the performance exhaust. Its a saloon yes, a sensible family car is what I need after all 😂

I am going to get some winter tyres just for peace of mind, my other car is a 350z and its hardly a great alternative in the snow 😂

I have managed to negotiate an extra years warranty so 2 years is decent peace of mind, but it is good to hear there are no majorly common issues to worry about

I have never owned a v8 so looking forward the experience!

Thanks all

Pete

Thanks for the replies

Yes sorry, its premium plus not performance plus. Adds some nice extras to the car but not the performance exhaust. Its a saloon yes, a sensible family car is what I need after all 😂

I am going to get some winter tyres just for peace of mind, my other car is a 350z and its hardly a great alternative in the snow 😂

I have managed to negotiate an extra years warranty so 2 years is decent peace of mind, but it is good to hear there are no majorly common issues to worry about

I have never owned a v8 so looking forward the experience!

Thanks all

Pete
I thought all Amg’s came with 2 year warranty as standard from MB 🤔 mine did.

They have for many years but there have been multiple examples just recently where this has bit been the case.

I was looking the other day at new SL63's and they were advertised as having 2 year warranties if they were bought using Mercedes finance only.

I was looking the other day at new SL63's and they were advertised as having 2 year warranties if they were bought using Mercedes finance only.
That was the deal when I bought mine. Didn't need to finance it but did and got the cashback as well as a 2 year warranty

Bought mine last November, standard 2 year warranty, wasn’t dependant upon finance.

Re the warranty, it supposedly only comes with one year now and when I asked for 2 they were fine with it but said that they had to effectively buy this for £800. Whether that's true or not I don't know but the salesman seems genuine enoigh

Getting the car on Monday, can't wait!

Re tyres, I'm looking for a set of winters. Am I right in saying the 19 inch alloys have 265/35/19 tyres on the rear and 245/35/19 on the front? The 265 rear seem to have little choice when it comes to winter tyres, if I went for 255/35/19 would this be within the safe parameters for the wheels?

Cheers

Peter

255 is still in the ideal range for a 9.5J wheel so that's fine and you are right about those sizes.

Unless you live somewhere with a lot of snow I'd go for the Michelin CrossClimate as it still works in snow but is less compromised on the milder days than a full winter tyre. It's available in 245/35/19 and 255/35/19.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Screenshot_20201204_203803_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

So I took delivery of the car earlier this week. I love the colour, and the interior is very nice.

I took the car out for a spin the first night, and wow it's exciting! The first T junction I pulled out of I was properly sideways 😂

I had to be somewhere yesterday, and typically we had our first snow (winter tyres have arrived but getting fitted next week). I was pretty nervous to take the car out in the snow but I was pleasantly surprised that it made it up some steep country roads, traction was decent and I was very careful.

So far the car is very comfortable, would hardly know it is a super saloon when just driving around town.

I love the cold start and V8 burble when driving at slow speeds. The exhaust is a bit quieter than I expected though when pushing it, I guess a draw back of not having the performance exhaust with the valves. I have programmed individual mode to have the engine in sport plus and gearbox manual, gives a better sound without the auto box keeping the revs so high. Other than changing the exhaust, is there anything else I could do to make it a little louder? Would the whole exhaust need changed or can just the rear boxes be changed?

Thanks in advance

Pete

View attachment 105658

So I took delivery of the car earlier this week. I love the colour, and the interior is very nice.

I took the car out for a spin the first night, and wow it's exciting! The first T junction I pulled out of I was properly sideways 😂

I had to be somewhere yesterday, and typically we had our first snow (winter tyres have arrived but getting fitted next week). I was pretty nervous to take the car out in the snow but I was pleasantly surprised that it made it up some steep country roads, traction was decent and I was very careful.

So far the car is very comfortable, would hardly know it is a super saloon when just driving around town.

I love the cold start and V8 burble when driving at slow speeds. The exhaust is a bit quieter than I expected though when pushing it, I guess a draw back of not having the performance exhaust with the valves. I have programmed individual mode to have the engine in sport plus and gearbox manual, gives a better sound without the auto box keeping the revs so high. Other than changing the exhaust, is there anything else I could do to make it a little louder? Would the whole exhaust need changed or can just the rear boxes be changed?

Thanks in advance

Pete
Nice car 👍🏻

You could change the downpipes for a little more noise and a little more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom