Buying a car from Dublin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
It's on UK plates. Seller has/had quite a few interesting cars/nice house.

He's English, with family in the North - his wife is from Ireland.

I'm not all the familiar with the Eire vehicle regs but don't they have expensive taxation for large CC/Co2 vehicles?

He's owned it about a year and spent a bit on it during his ownership. Condition/spec/price is attractive but not suspiciously cheap.

Any reason not to book a cheap flight to Dublin and Ferry back again?

Will

If still on UK plates, no issues with driving it back, just the usual of Tax, insurance and MOT on UK roads.

If still on UK plates, no issues with driving it back, just the usual of Tax, insurance and MOT on UK roads.

Yes - tax and insurance obviously on change of keeper these days, it was MoT'd recently in the UK when he was last over visiting family.

I'm guessing it's all above board keeping it over there on UK plates etc? Also guessing (but could be wrong) that attractive sterling value against Euro might be tempting the sale?

I'm not worried about travelling for good cars (my E55 was a 350+ mile round trip and the CLK55 I used to own was a 500 mile round trip before that!)

I think a lot of people might be put off travelling overseas to collect a vehicle? Or they just don't have time to view/travel?

If he's back and forth between the UK and Ireland, no real issue about above board or not. I think most people would think twice as it is a bit of a trek, and what do you do if it isn't as described.

From where you are, an early flight from Heathrow to Dublin, you could have the car back in the UK same day, ferry times permitting.

Just check the car hasn't been logged with the DVLA as exported (doubtful as it's been MOT'ed), if so I think it may require an inspection which could hinder getting it taxed straight away.

It's a very handy return trip, 1 hr flight time and 2-3.5 hrs ferry time and another four hours H/head to London without traffic problems. Time it right and you could be done and dusted in less than 16hrs provided you take one of the 8 or 9pm ferries from Dublin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom