Buying a car from Jersey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you have a reference for that (other than the DVLA web page about importing a vehicle)?

It's a fairly unlikely scenario (we have three vehicles of our own), but if her dad was taken ill or something :dk:

I think section 7 of the link previous mentioned covers it: https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

Note is says you can usually "use".....
implying that if you don't meet the qualifying criteria then you can't use the vehicle.

I suppose we could have a discussion about what "use" means. :)

I'd never heard of this until it came up on another forum with a guy who was working temporarily in Belgium and had taken his car. His Belgian girlfriend wouldn't drive it, as, with all the borders near them she was aware of the rules. He posted up how stupid this was - other posters pointed out that it applies in the UK too.

Not sure that's right, I have a jersey registered car, I was told by the Dvla that there's no problem my girlfriend driving it on her learners driving license here. In fact, she nearly took her test in it.

I can't explain that, other than it's always possible the DVLA person was wrong. Maybe Jersey has some kind of in-between status and isn't regarded as "foreign"?

I would be pretty amazed if the driving test was allowed to proceed though - unless I'm right about Jersey not being properly foreign! Apart from anything else, the Examiner wouldn't be able to do the check for recalls with the reg number. Although thinking about it, the same would apply to cars with personalised plates. So I don't know. Probably one of those things that it's impossible to get a straight answer to, but if the Examiner says no on the day then you're stuffed.

You'll probably find that the authorities won't have an issue assuming:

1. Insurance arrangements are OK (you'd need to be very careful here);
2. It is a genuine case of "need";
3. You can show that the vehicle is not being imported into the UK (ferry tickets, etc).

In the main it's a taxation thing trying to prevent tax evasion on cars purchased elsewhere.

This has sparked a debate in the office, and we've ended up here - EU - Registering your car in EU countries - length of stay

I would assume that the same rules are applied across the whole of the EU and therefore the following applies:

"If you keep your normal residence from your Member State but you stay in another EU country for less than 6 months, you do not have to register your car or pay any taxes there - it will remain registered in your country of residence.

If you are staying in another EU country for less than 6 months and have not registered your car there, you may not legally lend or rent your car to a resident of that country, who may only drive your car if you are in the car with him/her.

You may, however, lend your car to visiting friends or family - provided they are not resident in your new country.

If you are staying in another country for more than 6 months, you should normally change your residence to this country and you must register your car there."

So, to take me as an example, when I'm in France I don't have to register my car. Visiting family and friends can use my car (subject to insurance) but locals can only do so if I'm in the car with them.

That's specifically about 'Importing vehicles into the UK' though. Hence the references to company cars and leased vehicles.

I don't think it's valid to take a sentence from there out of context and apply it to other unrelated scenarios (e.g. temporary use of a vehicle owned by someone else).

Sorry, Bill, thought this thread started as regarding Importing a vehicle from Jersey ?

However, if you are presenting the below scenario I hope this satisfies you, and as stated by MR E as well. (beat me to it!).

It's of interest because Mrs BTB (German passport but UK resident) is insured to drive her parents' (German registered) car. Don't think she's actually driven it here (when they've been over), although she has a couple of times in Germany.

EU - Registering your car in EU countries - length of stay

Also, I would think that since Mrs BTB has a german passport she'll probably be ok ?!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Also, I would think that since Mrs BTB has a german passport she'll probably be ok ?!!:rolleyes:

Not if they asked to see her driving licence though (with UK address on it).

But that's fine - either of us could (for example) drive the in-laws home if it was really necessary, and then fly back.

Thanks for the info.

This has sparked a debate in the office, and we've ended up here - EU - Registering your car in EU countries - length of stay

I would assume that the same rules are applied across the whole of the EU and therefore the following applies:

"If you keep your normal residence from your Member State but you stay in another EU country for less than 6 months, you do not have to register your car or pay any taxes there - it will remain registered in your country of residence.

If you are staying in another EU country for less than 6 months and have not registered your car there, you may not legally lend or rent your car to a resident of that country, who may only drive your car if you are in the car with him/her.

You may, however, lend your car to visiting friends or family - provided they are not resident in your new country.

If you are staying in another country for more than 6 months, you should normally change your residence to this country and you must register your car there."

So, to take me as an example, when I'm in France I don't have to register my car. Visiting family and friends can use my car (subject to insurance) but locals can only do so if I'm in the car with them.

Correct.

It is a DVLA/EU stipulation (as of 15 April 2013)that a UK resident cannot drive a foreign registered car in the UK without the owner being in that car and without all insurance necessary (and not yourself if you have just bought it!).
I managed to insure the car but I'm still not allowed to drive it until it has been re-registered in the UK, with UK plates fitted. This is stipulated on the insurance document and will be endorsed by DVLA along with the new MOT certificate once i have sent through all the required paperwork, including a C of C form which on collecting the car was the wrong one:doh:
I was warned by DVLA that if I did drive it back home even with a fresh MOT, my insurance, and covering letter from the seller saying i had permission to drive and was a named driver on their insurance(NFU Britain) I would still be uninsured and could have the car impounded and crushed.
I didn't fancy that so trailered down with my 17 year old Defender and collected it from Poole and drove back the 622 miles a couple of days ago.
Now I'm just awaiting for the origional supplying dealer to get his finger out and organise the C of C for the correct Vin no.
By the way, Jersey is not a member of the EU which is possibly why they make it so difficult now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom