buying a cheap clk 200 or 200k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pwatts1977

Car
clk 200k w208, mgf
hi all

im new to this mercedes forum and am going to be buying a cheap clk soon. now it is either going to be a 200 or 200k but i do have a few questions.

1)i read that the pre face lift models are made of better steel and paint and dont rust as much???
2)might seem silly but what is the kompressor and does it make a big difference
3)is there anything i need to look out for when buying, and i will be buying an automatic.

cheers

paul

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few past & present CLK owners on here.

1) I've not read that myself, but it could be true. I'd just stick with buying each car on current condition than reputation
2) It's a supercharger. It does a good job in raising power, but MB engines tend to be less tuned and stressed than Japanese cars, if you've ever driven them.
3) Quite a few similar questions and answers in the archives :) Rust seems to be the consistent issue. Check for smooth gear changes in the automatic gearbox.

Enjoy.

is there anyway to check the kompressor is working

If it was me I'd drive a few 230K engined cars and hope to be able to notice the difference between a good and bad one. Not a very technical response, sorry. If you have concerns it might be worth taking the best car you find to a local trust mechanic for an inspection.

>100k mileage cars are fine as long as they have been correctly serviced.

I sold my 1998 CLK320 (V6) for £3k last year. The price difference between the V6 and 4 cylinder engines was minimal.

i have seen a few 230's but i was looking at the 200 due to insurance and economy. is the 230 a much better engine?

i have seen a few 230's but i was looking at the 200 due to insurance and economy. is the 230 a much better engine?

yea it is i have drove a 200k and its slow and lethargic. also i think the 230 does same if not better mpg and will probably be the same on insurance. just for your information if you get a avantgarde it will always be one insurance group higher than say a elegance with any engine. defiantly try to go for a 230k :thumb: it will be better in the long run

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom