buying a cheap runaround.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
Friend of mine wants to spend less than a grand on a decent run around to do not many miles. Wants cheap to run and insure.

Has been offered a vw golf for £100 - but needs a new cylinder head and cat convertor. Seems less of a bargain to me than a lot else out there.

Anyone got some good ideas of what to get/any cars around North London they know of?

I suggested something japanese. :)

ta guys.

Maybe this should be in off topic but i thought we might generally discuss cheap run arounds! ;) :rolleyes: :D :)

As you say something Japanese would probably be reliable but insurance and parts costs will be higher.

Very sensible (but not at all interesting) would be a 1993 - 2000 Corsa 1.0 12v or 1.2 16v as they are both chain cammers. Quite common for front section of exhaust of 1.0 12v to fail due to metal fatigue from vibration. All Corsas prone to front suspension wear. Check driveshafts for clonks by reverse turns in both directions. Cracking around door hinges on 'A' pillars of 2-door models (also look for cracks in the paint on 'B' pillars - an MOT failure point). Feel front discs for grooves, 'shouldering' and wear. Beware of any noises from the water pump. Check front carpets for damp signifying failed heater matrix.

At this price point I wouldn't buy the Golf or anything needing work as bills add up (unless they do the work themselves) and the car isn't worth the expenditure.

how about a 190E -- loads of them around

C240Sport97 said:

Beat me to it ! Excellent cars for the price if you can find the right one.

I'm about to buy a Clio diesel. You can buy them for bog all, they cost pennies to run, and will put up with loads of neglect.

We need a car to keep at our holiday home, unused for periods, and this seems like the best bet (house is in France, so French car is a must, really), but it's worth looking at.

imadoofus said:
I'm about to buy a Clio diesel. You can buy them for bog all, they cost pennies to run, and will put up with loads of neglect.

We need a car to keep at our holiday home, unused for periods, and this seems like the best bet (house is in France, so French car is a must, really), but it's worth looking at.

How do you get from the airport to the house?

mickeymacs said:
How do you get from the airport to the house?

One of three ways:

1) Apparently, parking at the airport is free (Although Sp!ke's friend's recent problem at a different airport suggests that won't be a long term option)

2) The house is only 20 miles form the airport, so a taxi.

3) By pure coincidence, two of the four friends we have that have relocated to France live exactly half-way between the airport and our house.

Costs for those options would be:

1) Free (for a while, perhaps)
2) €40 each way
3) An unknown quantity of Stella Artois (but I get to drink half) :D

Fiesta diesel is bullet proof if you keep the timing belt changed every 32,000 miles..go on forever..in the past i have owned three and negected everyone..the last one did over 120,000 without a peep...pick them up for buttons...asda price

If you don't want to do many miles don't buy a diesel.
If you don't want to break down don't buy anything French. :D

With cheap cars Japanese is the way to go.

I would go Ford or Vauxhall. Probably Fiesta or Corsa Small & Cheap. Whilst the 190 Can be picked up cheap you have got to think of the running cost and the insurance will also generally be a lot hire.

C240Sport97 said:
saw a 190D on ebay last week, 2 owners, Good service history (not complete) 170K miles, no toys etc but went for £620.

I mate is selling a 190E with 124k on the clock, 2 owners from new, just had the gearbox rebuilt, its in Bornite with grey cloth. He wants around £7-800 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom