Buying a CLS 320 this weekend, need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haggis0073

Car
E220 W212 2013
hi everyone, My CLK has now gone and after a looking for a c320 i have now given up and have now found a CLS 320 which ticks the right boxes

I have heard of some horror stories with the balance shaft issues, does this affect this model car? or was it just the petrol models

I have heard about oil cooler problems, does anyone know a noobie way of checking for this when i look over car

Also does this model have a DPF

The CLK had a amazing 5g gearbox which was so smooth and never felt any gear changes, is this the same as the 7g boxes?

Any other help and tips anyone can give would be great, its a 2007 (07) model, FSH with 128,000 miles, gearbox fluid changed in 2010 when it was on 50,000, so may need doing again?

thanks

What year CLS you are looking to buy? 320 CDI or 320 petrol?
hi everyone, My CLK has now gone and after a looking for a c320 i have now given up and have now found a CLS 320 which ticks the right boxes

I have heard of some horror stories with the balance shaft issues, does this affect this model car? or was it just the petrol models

I have heard about oil cooler problems, does anyone know a noobie way of checking for this when i look over car

Also does this model have a DPF

The CLK had a amazing 5g gearbox which was so smooth and never felt any gear changes, is this the same as the 7g boxes?

Any other help and tips anyone can give would be great, its a 2007 (07) model, FSH with 128,000 miles, gearbox fluid changed in 2010 when it was on 50,000, so may need doing again?

thanks
Balancer shaft issue is on petrol M272 V6 engines if I remember correctly.

It's a 2007 320 cdi

Well that's one less thing to worry about if it's only petrol models

The oil cooler seal issue exists but in reality is quite rare, check for oil leaking underneath around the end of engine, close to gearbox.
Check the performance, should pull like a train as the turbo spools up, anything else could be a problem with turbo/actuator.
Front springs are weak so check there are none broken, my garage is now using SACHS as they seem to last longer than MB. They suffer from a heavy car meeting potholes. Also bottom ball joints are a consumable item for the same reason - they creak when they are going.
Check everything electrical works
Check engine mounts - another consumable. Put engine in gear, foot on the brake and rev it gently with the bonnet open. If the engine jumps then they will need to be replaced. Worth getting the gearbox mount done at the same time. Makes a huge difference to the overall smoothness of the car and not too expensive.
DPF was an option around this time so if you are lucky it may not have one - black/sooty exhausts are a sign there isn't one.
If you have a code reader then worth checking if there are any codes stored.
They can scrub the inside of the front tyres when they start to get older. This is because the chassis settles and they would need re-tracking but also possibly some adjusting bolts for the camber - easy fix for a competent garage. Bolts are a standard MB part. If they are scrubbing then just doing the tracking doesn't always fix it.
They are a very smooth, quiet, comfortable long distance touring car and should drive like one, if it isn't then it needs investigating.

If you buy it - change the gearbox oil. The gearboxes can clunk a little when cold in the lower gears otherwise it should be smooth.
Check the air filters - often forgotten and they suck in the most incredible amount of crap
New PCV valve as these degrade with age/heat and can cause excess oil and vapour into the turbo inlet - about £70 for a new one with the improved oil seal and 10 mins to fit. Also change the air inlet to turbo oil seal (big orange one at front of turbo) - easy job and about £18. Stops them leaking oil drips onto the swirl flap motor, though there is a simple resistor fix for to bypass dead or dying swirl flap motors - less than 50p

I know this sounds like a lot but when they are running right they are an excellent motor - love mine and touch wood it has proven to be very reliable over the 3.5 years I have had mine - now at 152,000 and still delivering 40+ on a run.

As amazighman said the balancer shaft issues are the V6 petrol

Other than that the usual due diligence when buying any car.

Now that's a write up

Thanks for all that info, will make sure I have this thread up when viewing and use it as a check list, much appreciated

Don't be put off my all of those things - the usual applies, if it is a dog then walk away, if it is a good one then they are a superb buy. If it has some of those faults then there is your negotiation point, it could be cheap enough to buy so worth fixing. At that mileage most of the major things that could go wrong would have happened by now - it's why I tend to buy cars with 100,000 miles on them, in my experience they have proven to be quite reliable, unlike friends who have bought new or nearly new only to learn about the major issues the hard (expensive) way.

cheers for advice, when you mention about the gearbox can clunk when cold but smooth when warmed up, is that a common trait with the 7g box or should i be wary if it clunks at all

7g box can sometimes be a little harsh when changing down from 2 to 1st when box is cold, should be smooth otherwise if it has been serviced properly ( ATF and filter change every 4 years / 37500 miles from memory on this box in my E / ML's )

Cheers, it was changed at 50,000 back in 2010, will check paperwork if its been done since when I view, if not it will be the 1st thing on my agenda

Appreciate all the tips

Well got a message today saying he has sold to someone else, well these things happen :(, now the hunt continues to find another CLS 320 :wallbash::wallbash:

I have a really nice one that I am thinking of selling 2009 facelift 80k miles black with cream leather and walnut. PM me for more information if you are interested.

my budget was only 3750-4000 and i think the facelift 2009 is gonna be out of reach, cheers though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom