Buying a CLS 320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kylezx7r

Car
mercedes M300 Sport
Hi, been a couple of year since I been on this forum since I sold my last Mercedes, Next week im picking up a 2008 CLS 320, its got 89,000 miles on the clock but comes with full dealer history and is a very very clean car.

my question is what should I look out for? is there any common faults that could bite me? Any info would be appreciated.

Kyle

Hi, been a couple of year since I been on this forum since I sold my last Mercedes, Next week im picking up a 2008 CLS 320, its got 89,000 miles on the clock but comes with full dealer history and is a very very clean car.

my question is what should I look out for? is there any common faults that could bite me? Any info would be appreciated.

Kyle

Hi,

I am assuming its a Diesel because its a 320, so your engine is an OM642 which is a very reliable Mercedes V6 Diesel engine.

There is no common issue as far as I know (please correct me if Im wrong) apart from some minors oil leak issue on some cars.

My advice, when you go to inspect the car bring with you a flashlight and ask the seller to remove the engine cover so you can make sure the engine is dry and no oil leak. Check the service history and don't forget to check the MOT history as well on https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Last edited:
Glow plug relay , extended cranking when cold.

Glow plugs , light come back on after car has started.

If it hasnt been replaced then the battery should be coming to the end of its life.

Check discs + pads condition as a big heavy auto takes some stopping.

Check condition of front springs as they can break when stationary so always park with the wheels straight ahead or if one breaks then it will wreck the wing.

ATF should have been replaced at 35k so check the history.

Check front inner tyre wear as some have an appetite for the inside edge.

Kenny

KennyN has got it spot on, recently P/X ed my 2008 w211 with only 42 k on clock , in 6 month's before it needed a new battery, front coil spring broke therefore 2 new ones. G/B fluid change for second time 40k or 4 yearly,
Replaced it with an ML 320cdi about same age and miles, engine needed a new glow plug ( 6 ) fitted, then the controller needed doing to get rid of the warning light.
Other than that it was a lovely car , really loved the engine , hence choosing another 320cdi

Thanks gents
KennyN some good info there, I was aware of the springs going when stood still, my old one went off with a bang during the night outside the house and it woke me up, I thought someone had crashed into the car.

I'll be sure the check the transmission oil etc in the service history, thanks for that

Glow plug relay , extended cranking when cold.

Glow plugs , light come back on after car has started.

If it hasnt been replaced then the battery should be coming to the end of its life.

Check discs + pads condition as a big heavy auto takes some stopping.

Check condition of front springs as they can break when stationary so always park with the wheels straight ahead or if one breaks then it will wreck the wing.

ATF should have been replaced at 35k so check the history.

Check front inner tyre wear as some have an appetite for the inside edge.

Kenny

What he said. Dealt with most of them in the 2 years of ownership before I had enough. MAF sensors are known to fail. Will not notice much but will probably only come on STAR. Mine did anyway and the O2 sensor post cat was duff as well. Reading on STAR will show things liek that anyway. Might be worth the £50-70 to get an idie to give it the once over for peace of mind.

Mr_Filipov thanks this is all info I need.

Question, the car has the walnut interior trim and its the only thing im not keen on. Is is possible to buy a nicer trim? if not I think i'll be looking at getting it hydro dipped or something because the walnut is abit (Excuse the phrase) "old man" for me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom