Buying a CLS63 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bed63amg

Car
Audi TT
Hello guys and gals, I’ve just come across this website and I’m hoping that there will be someone on here that maybe able to give me some help and advice.

For a long time now I’ve been considering purchasing a Mercedes CLS63 AMG model year 2008/2010. What is appealing to them is 1: the practicality of its size and 2: the POWER!

Being that I’ve never previously been lucky enough to have owned an AMG model before I’m not really sure what I should be looking out for? Obviously I know that the general maintenance of the car will be more expensive being an AMG, but do these cars have for any common problems/faults? Also does this model suffer from rust like most of the earlier MB models did?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Brian

The M156 is probably the nicest sounding engine MB have ever made but I think they have some common weak points.

The cam adjusters locking pin can wear and can rattle at start up for a bit. And I believe the camshafts are prone to wearing along with the lifters. I'm not sure what the timescale is for the wear but every time I watch Tasos doing a check-up on one there's always something.

Earlier M156 engines have an issue with the head bolts potentially snapping but again I can't remember what engine number that was put right from.

I think they're pretty solid other than that?

Bodywise I think the chassis is not as rust prone as older/other MB models. That's not to say it's rustproof but it doesn't suffer to the same degree and it's underbody cleanliness will be dependent on where it has lived.

If you could upgrade and opt for M157 engine thad’d better choice in my opinion. Fresher engine, nicer/more modern interior plus the fault free motoring.

If you could upgrade and opt for M157 engine thad’d better choice in my opinion. Fresher engine, nicer/more modern interior plus the fault free motoring.
You'll split opinion/ start WW3 with that M157 comment 🤣😉

OP - sure you will love it, definitely do it! I think that age M156 will be in the affected head bolt range but not sure. There's a thread on here that states the affected engine number range.
Are you also considering E class or just CLS?

On the M156....if the engine number ends in 060658 or higher than it has the later head bolts and you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom