Buying A comand unit from germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kas

Car
CLK 230 komp. W208. Avantgarde
Hi All

This is my first post here and have to say that since buying a Merc I will be sticking to driving only quality from now on.

I am after a comand system for a CLK 230 Komp. 2002 model w208 model with multi function wheel.
From the articles here I understand that I need a A208 820 XXXX model comand system for easy integration.

I have sourced several sellers via ebay in germany with this model and would like to know if anyone has had any expierence with any system imported from there. Also can language selection be changed?
Any help would be appreciated.

Kas

Kas

Not quite the same, but I have just purchased a Comand system from the MB dealer in Leipzig - no probs at all & language is selectable via a menu.

Bob

It is also possible to buy a second-hand comand 2.0 unit, either for 210 or 208 models (very similar if not identical) from the UK, for a decent price. Just wait for the relevent forum member to reply to this thread, I can feel the reply coming... ;)

Hi,

I'm not the forum member that Shude refers to but ...]

You should go look at www.comand.co.uk - its a good way of getting a guaranteed unit ..

Beware that older comands do suffer from CD drive failure and the inability to eject disks - and i'm sure theres plenty of slighly dodgy units on ebay ..

Also, if you buy a unit from a LHD car, or from one with cloth seats (and you have leather, or vice-versa) you will need to get it coded by the MB dealer
(or all the sound equalisation is wrong (too much bass / too litte bass etc) - this is something I just learned from my friendly MB technician!) - If you have steering wheel controls then you probably are making a trip to the dealer in anycase since you will want him to enable the centre display to show navigation information

Cheers

Richard

Come forward Alfie :bannana:

A-AvantGarde said:
drum roll begins....

thankyou thankyou thankyou, nice to see you, to see you......nice.

But seriously, I think we are already in contact;)

Yes I spoke to Alfie before hand. Took the dive yesterday and bought it off ebay for £370, the item number is 180003224264, also purchased the GPS antenna for 18 euros. Does anyone know who can fit this?

kas said:
Does anyone know who can fit this?

Where are you ?

You also need to make the adapter loom to connect the car's C connector to the C1/C2 on COMAND (or find one to buy)

Once you have the loom a DIY job is quite easy

R

kas said:
Yes I spoke to Alfie before hand. Took the dive yesterday and bought it off ebay for £370, the item number is 180003224264, also purchased the GPS antenna for 18 euros. Does anyone know who can fit this?

Good luck. DIY is really quite straight forward.

kas said:

Sorry to disappoint you but you've possibly bought the wrong comand for your car. The unit you have bought is the A208 820 30 89 unit which is the oldest possible unit for a W208 CLK and was designed for cars without a CANBUS. Your car is a much newer car (2002) with CANBUS. This unit will not work with your steering wheel controls and is unlikely to be upgradeable to MY01.

Come back to us if you need any help with it. We will try to help if we can.

Thanks for the info alfie:eek:, luckily I havent paid for the item yet and spoke to the seller who understood the predicament:( .
You guys have been A class in this, or shall I say S class....depending on the preference...:D
Kas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom