Buying a DA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
I'm after a dual action polisher, but not really sure what to look for..

What makes a good DA?
What to avoid?
Any recommended DA's (good value for money)?

Brilliant thank you guys.

Not really attempted this before but going to attempt to get rid of the dreaded swirl marks. Cars getting painted in a few months anyways so this is probably the best opportunity for me to get familiar with a DA and even if I burn through paint i know my car is getting painted soon.

You won't burn through with a DA. Just use a decent pad and compound combination and keep it moving slowly.

I can't help on which pad/polish as I don't know your car or paint quality. :(

You won't burn through with a DA. Just use a decent pad and compound combination and keep it moving slowly.

I can't help on which pad/polish as I don't know your car or paint quality. :(

Am I right in thinking the clear coat on my car must be very thin due to how easily it gets swirl marks or am I mistaken?

Am I right in thinking the clear coat on my car must be very thin due to how easily it gets swirl marks or am I mistaken?

IIRC all clearcoat on Mercs is thin, but very hard.

Brilliant my car has been painted in the past so this just adds to the dilemma. Anyhoo I'll find out when i start polishing lol

Good luck, practice on a scrap panel first if you can.. and watch a few youtube tutorials.

I use a paint depth Gauge, before I machine polish to check clearcote thickness, Machine wise I use a Rupes.

Product wise - I am a massive fan of Scholl Concepts and Meguiars. They each also do their own pads which are good.

Pad and product combination make a massive difference.

Sometimes places have offers on that allow a really good starter kit - you will find Meg's in such an offer.

At this time of year - ensure that you avoid a hot day and direct sunlight. Latter is good to pick out swirl marks!

Did you buy the DA in the end? :)

I have a Meguiars DA polisher. Nice bit of kit.

Used it on Toyotas, Mercs, Volkswagen, and BMW, just using the standard Maguiars cutting, polish and waxing products.

Happy with results for minimal effort. I am no expert so have always used very lightly with easy pressure and quick passover of paintwork.

Im guessing the backing plate and pads aren't included with this?

If this is the case what do you recommend, so far I've read good stuff about chemical guys hex logic pads..

My goal is to get rid of light swirl marks, so don't think I'll have to go as far as compounding the car, maybe just a polish to cut back the paint ever so slightly, once this is done I would like follow up with a nice coat of wax, therefore will require a finishing pad? (I don't care if I am getting the terminology wrong right now, It sounds like I really know my sh*t right now haha).

It should come with a backing plate or two it's just pads you'll need and, as you suggest, the Hex Logic ones come highly recommended.

When I bought mine I ordered THIS ONE with the Meg's polishing kit. Even though the polish supplied is Meguiars, the pads are hex Logic and seem fine to me, the orange one for compounding and the white one for polishing. I also added a green one to my collection which is apparently used by Mercedes, and was tried to help me get some deep scratches and sanding marks out of a car I was playing with, though not too succesfully.

Whatever you decide on, a lot of it's dependant on personal choice and the paint you're dealing with. If you're anything like me then you'll end up with a vast collection of polishing compounds which, after being used once, slowly find their way to the back of the shelf, being replaced at the front by other preferred things.

Incidentally, the #105 (heavy) and #205 (medium - light) polishes which came with my kit above are pretty good, but I'm still looking for a heavier duty compound for deeper scratches.

I undertake car bodywork repairs for a living and the depth of lacquer on Mercs is no less than on any other makes of car. The process for applying lacquer is pretty much the same for all makes of car ie using a spray gun which lays it evenly. Over the years lacquers have been refined and moved from medium solids to high solids, which are slightly thicker and less prone to runs. A DA polisher is a good starting point for a novice and will allow you to remove most swirl marks, minimising the danger of burning through the lacquer. I should add that it is the technique you use rather than the brand of cutting compound / polish, which is going to make the greatest difference at the end of the day!

Is there an opportunity here for one of our more 'expert' members to give/offer some kind of tutorial?

I for one would like to know more about this but a well aware that there is a vast amount of skill required if one is to avoid destroying anything.

It should come with a backing plate or two it's just pads you'll need and, as you suggest, the Hex Logic ones come highly recommended.

When I bought mine I ordered THIS ONE with the Meg's polishing kit. Even though the polish supplied is Meguiars, the pads are hex Logic and seem fine to me, the orange one for compounding and the white one for polishing. I also added a green one to my collection which is apparently used by Mercedes, and was tried to help me get some deep scratches and sanding marks out of a car I was playing with, though not too succesfully.

Whatever you decide on, a lot of it's dependant on personal choice and the paint you're dealing with. If you're anything like me then you'll end up with a vast collection of polishing compounds which, after being used once, slowly find their way to the back of the shelf, being replaced at the front by other preferred things.

Incidentally, the #105 (heavy) and #205 (medium - light) polishes which came with my kit above are pretty good, but I'm still looking for a heavier duty compound for deeper scratches.

I’ll give you 300 bottles of beer to do mine, you seem like a bloody expert :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom