Buying a E220 W211 from Cyprus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loukas

Dear all,

Greetings from Cyprus first of all.

I am considering purchasing a E220 W211 facelifted, the Avantgarde version with automatic transmission and around 10000-20000miles, and shipping it to Cyprus. With the fall in car prices as well as the fall in exchange rates (EUR/GBP) this makes it an ideal combination. The only detail I am undecided still is whether to go for a saloon or an estate (just married - one daughter on the way).

I would like your thoughts on how to proceed.

1) I've looked at prices on Autotrader, they seem to start at about £17,500 for the 2007s. Main dealer prices seem to start at £18.000. Do you think these are negotiable? and how much?

2) With the new model coming out in the spring, how much more do you think the E220 prices will fall? Do you expect to see them at £13-14.000 by March, for example?

3) Would you buy a car from a main dealer, with FMBSH and around 10000-20000 miles, without seeing it? As in - contacting the dealer, finding the car, having them send me plenty of photos, agreeing on the details, paying for the car, having it shipped...

I know fairly well what extras I would like (auto, leather, Parktronic) and colours (silver or charcoal) but I am wondering if an "inspection" is necessary on such a new car.

Can I trust the dealers? Any particular ones who you've used and trust and have cars like the above in stock?

4) Would you suggest I go for a 2006 (cheaper), 2007 (plenty of choice) or 2008 (newer - but more expensive) version of the facelifted cars ?

5) Finally, how would you arrange payment - so as to prevent from fraud. Ideally there should be a way for the car to be shipped at the same time as I pay for it, somehow.

Any further suggestions, such as whether it's best to wait a bit more (I don't mind waiting up to 6mths) or whether pre-Xmas prices will be best (with dealers wanting to meet quotas) or any other comments, are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Loukas

Last edited:
Customer of mine(car dealer) buys alot of his new cars from Cyprus, sells alot of cars over the phone, new and used if you need help with shipping or a car finding i can speak to him.

Bob

Hi bigbob,

Is your customer a UK or Cyprus dealer?

I'm trying to avoid the CY car dealers if possible. Unfortunately, they are in the business of making big profits when importing the cars to Cyprus (£1000-5000 on a £20000 car imported), and I'd rather use the extra money to get a latest model on my own.

Thanks for your reply in either case.

Any comments on my other concerns?

He is based in the UK but ships in new cars from Cyprus so has all the relevent contacts for shipping. He can be trusted 100% i`ll say that for him and has shipped a few cars back out to Cyprus for friends out there. car prices are dropping everyday over here, some upto £600 a month on used cars so chance you take with that!

Bob

Yassou re louka! welcome to the forum :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom