Buying a high mileage car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul73mt

Car
2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line Sold
I have booked a test drive next week for this

Used Mercedes-Benz C Class C220 BLUETEC AMG LINE PREMIUM PLUS for sale in Addington, Kent | Big Motoring World

it has all that i want and even though mines still ok, im just worried about it only being euro 4 and by the end of the year it will be touching 130,000miles. So thinking about changing however the car im looking at does have 70,000 miles on it already should i be worried ???

Well Paul I bought a low mileage Cl500 with 70000 miles and poor service history, just paid 1K to have b service, plugs, gearbox, diff, fuel filter, engine at at local Indy who I trust.

So is it better to buy a high mileage well documented example? I have the knowledge that my car is genuine miles and because I know Indy does a decent job I am happy with car.

Only you can decide if car you have knowing history is better than a new car with unknown owner who may not be fastidious in maintaining car.

Check on dvla website for mot history, that is usually a sign of how well maintained the car is, repeated advisories suggest cheapskate owners.

Good luck whatever you decide

What is 193 admin fee, they can get lost with that!

lol yeah i think the admin fee is strange, but it does have full MB service and it appears to have it done approx every 6 months its not due its first MOT till 2019, Even with my current car its serviced by MB but every 6 months i have the oil and filter changed using Genuine parts. Its just hard to find out if its used as a taxi around town or been sitting on the motorway all its life. Hopefully will be able to find out more next week

I tend not to buy high mileage cars as I don't do a lot of miles myself. Just my preference, really. The one time I did was when I bought my first property (and was therefore skint and couldn't be choosy). A 9 year old Citroen ZX diesel with 180000 on the clock, it was 1 owner and had been serviced religiously every 10000 miles.

I would be lying if I said I liked it - it was a non-turbo and could barely pull the skin off a rice pudding - but it did the job for a year and I sold it on for more than I paid for it. Despite ragging it mercilessly, it would never turn in less than 50 MPG either. Perfect car for the circumstances really, I still have a grudging respect for it.

So miles don't necessarily equal problems, and on the other end of the scale I had one car blow a head gasket at 24000.. luck of the draw.

Cheers,

Gaz

it has all that i want and even though mines still ok, im just worried about it only being euro 4 and by the end of the year it will be touching 130,000miles

I’m confused..

130k is not high miles, why not just keep the one you have if it is still ok?
You know it’s history and that it’s been cared for...

I’m confused..

Yes its well serviced and i know the car since i got it with 29K on the clock,had most of the front suspension changed a couple of years ago, but now its not worth alot but at least something to put towards another car, i just cancelled the MB tier 1 warranty on it last week as looking through it, nothing is covered on it due to the miles it has on it, Its more with the emissions as i think in the next couple of years euro 4 diesels will be tried to be pushed off the road making mine worth nothing.

lol yeah i think the admin fee is strange

The big 'Car Supermarket'-type sites all seem to do this. I've no idea why, unless it's a dodge to avoid a little tax.

Its just hard to find out if its used as a taxi around town or been sitting on the motorway all its life. Hopefully will be able to find out more next week

If it's only done 70K miles in three and a half years, it hasn't been earning its keep as a taxi, has it? Besides, a taxi with AMG Line bodykit, 19" wheels, Burmeister audio, panoramic roof, and red leather? I don't think so.

It was due its first MoT in early 2018, by the way, not 2019.

I suspect it is like the 2014 E350 I bought last year on 75K miles; recently come in off a three-year contract, one owner, full history and excellent condition, and it would have been an Approved Used but for the mileage. Admittedly, this one is only a weedy four-pot, but if you don't want or need the V6, it sounds like a good buy to me.

Says 71000 miles ? I was in a taxi a couple of months back, pretty much the same spec as that but saloon. It was a 15 plate with 120,000 miles ! The driver said he'd had no problems apart from routine servicing which he had done at Mercedes, his last service being £1100 which included the gearbox service, hed owned the car from new.
The taxi had the red leather also which I found very impressive ! and was like new !

Says 71000 miles ? I was in a taxi a couple of months back, pretty much the same spec as that but saloon. It was a 15 plate with 120,000 miles ! The driver said he'd had no problems apart from routine servicing which he had done at Mercedes, his last service being £1100 which included the gearbox service, hed owned the car from new.
The taxi had the red leather also which I found very impressive ! and was like new !
The posher Uber cars tend to be highly specked. The car which collected me on Thursday was a black E200 CDi and was specked really nicely with cream leather (probably vinyl), black rooflining, panoramic roof, etc.

I tend not to buy high mileage cars as I don't do a lot of miles myself. Just my preference, really. The one time I did was when I bought my first property (and was therefore skint and couldn't be choosy). A 9 year old Citroen ZX diesel with 180000 on the clock, it was 1 owner and had been serviced religiously every 10000 miles.

I would be lying if I said I liked it - it was a non-turbo and could barely pull the skin off a rice pudding - but it did the job for a year and I sold it on for more than I paid for it. Despite ragging it mercilessly, it would never turn in less than 50 MPG either. Perfect car for the circumstances really, I still have a grudging respect for it.

So miles don't necessarily equal problems, and on the other end of the scale I had one car blow a head gasket at 24000.. luck of the draw.

Cheers,

Gaz

Haha, I bought a five year old Citroen ZX with 95,000 miles for £3200. Kept it 6 months, added 18,000 miles and px'd it for £3600. Put a set of Michelin's on the front when I bought it and they still had 7mm on them when I sold it.

I have booked a test drive next week for this

Used Mercedes-Benz C Class C220 BLUETEC AMG LINE PREMIUM PLUS for sale in Addington, Kent | Big Motoring World

it has all that i want and even though mines still ok, im just worried about it only being euro 4 and by the end of the year it will be touching 130,000miles. So thinking about changing however the car im looking at does have 70,000 miles on it already should i be worried ???

I'd very strongly recommend you do plenty of research into the vendor before proceeding with this particular car!

I bought my CLK230K when it was just two years old and with 71k on the clock. I sold it ten years and 50k miles later with the only repairs being a light switch and track rod ends. Rusty wings were a different thing altogether, but of course nothing to do with mileage. I’d have no worries about the mileage on that car.

im just worried about it only being euro 4 and by the end of the year it will be touching 130,000miles. So thinking about changing however the car im looking at does have 70,000 miles on it already should i be worried ???

So your car is pre Sept 2009. In truth it doesn't have a high value now ( I have a 2009 Euro 4 car) so if you keep another 3 years it will be worth half what its worth now, yes depreciation is depreciation but the replacement you buy now will also be worth half what its worth now so the current car will actually cost rather less in depreciation... From a purely financial perspective its all about deciding where you want to be in terms of depreciation on the entry and exit points.

What would your budget but now Euro 5/6 - what's the restrictions on Euro 5/6 cars be in 3-5 years time? for a Euro 5 car probably in the same position as Euro 4.

Would help if the Gov could come up with a medium to long term road map of how the plan to move forward...

Hi,
If you decide to sell your car then someone will get a real bargain, at only 130 k and barely run in, has been well cared for and with documented history. On a p/ex the garage will tell you its not even worth a pot to piss in.

This ^ ^ ........
I have a high miler,@264,000 miles and there is nothing wrong with it,( goes for its MOT tomorrow, so might have to retract that statement...lol.) Still get 46 mpg on a run out of it., but bought it with a sheaf of service history. At the moment I have no intention of replacing it.
But its your cash and for you to choose how you wish to spend it.

not only .. but also.... " Admin Fee " for selling you a car .....they is having a laugh surely. Find another dealer !

Steve

goes for its MOT tomorrow, so might have to retract that statement...lol

It should be fine Steve, if it’s the emissions you’re worried about. Mine sailed through the emissions test (230K) and yours should too as you are using Millers and taking her for long runs.

Good luck

My current E Class was bought at 112,000 miles and is currently running very well but it has been regularly serviced including the transmission, C320 was at 97,000, Saab 9-5 108,000, A6 Avant 123,000 and RR was north of 160,000.

Apart from routine servicing none has required major work, an alternator and water pump (pump changed as a precaution whilst other work carried out) on the C320 plus a CPS.

A CPS also failed on the SAAB although the automaticgearbox let go at 157,000 but they did have a reputation of being fragile) , the A6 required a MAF at 200,000 and the original clutch failed at 224,000. The RR has, so far required nothing other than service items although the previous owner had cherished it and replaced parts. The Mazda just keeps going on although I did replace the dampers as they felt a little soft.

I do not think it is luck that has caused me to have so few problems but due diligence along with buying with a good service history and following your instincts.

It will be interesting when i come to sell my 2008 S-Class 500L next year which will have done about 157,000 miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom