Buying a laptop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

Ashley

I have decided to buy a laptop.

I want it as cheap as possible. lol

It will be running:

internet, outlook, word, excel and sage and nothing else on xp pro.

I normally work with around 5 word and/or excel files open plus outlook. It will also be on wireless network with shared printing at work.

I have no experience of laptops so any help is appreciated.

I have seen this one: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/057214 or
and the spec seems OK for what I need. I have also seen this one really cheap http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/250870 do you think it will be able to handle what I need.

Edit: I just want the freedom to be able to work at work not in my office but in the lougne where I can keep a better eye on things in the mornings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to rave about Toshibas. Carried one back and fore to Taiwan many times without problems. Then my last company Tosh went through 4 motherboards. Mind you from my company's experience that model (Tecra 9000) was Toshiba's W210.

On the plus side, Toshiba's warranty support is excellent and my current Satellite Pro which was passed to me secondhand works faultlessly.

Given the two models you posted, I'd go for the big name.

If you're going for a laptop do you intend to work it away from the mains a lot? If so, you need to check on battery capacity and whether or not your choice can take a second battery.

With what your proposing to run on it, your skill on the keyboard will be the limiting factor so processor speed is not an issue.

Finally, don't forget that in the current price war companies still want to make a profit so the likely sacrifice is quality (just like happened with MB).

Last edited:
I have gone with the Toshiba, as it had everything I want with it & g of ram should lead to good performance. Cheers for input.

I went to order it and got an error message (would you not think that this would be done at 0400)

We are currently performing essential maintenance on our Collect@Store service
Please try again or come back later, sorry for any inconvenience

I will try later and pick it up tonight if they have it in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom