Buying a lawnmower...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For a small garden go for electric or even a push mower.

If you are buying petrol buy a Honda. Expensive but bullet proof. you may also want to consider any future grass cutting demands if you were to move house?

Electric if power supply and garden size is not a problem.

It is just a electric motor with a blade stuck on the end. It turns of and off goes round and round and does what it is told even if you neglect it.

A petrol mower is an internal combustion engine with a blade stuck on the end. It requires TLC, fuel & lubrication of some sort. After overwintering in the shed, it hates you.

Electric if power supply and garden size is not a problem.

It is just a electric motor with a blade stuck on the end. It turns of and off goes round and round and does what it is told even if you neglect it.

Wouldn't be confused with the Wife then..

A petrol mower is an internal combustion engine with a blade stuck on the end. It requires TLC, fuel & lubrication of some sort. After overwintering in the shed, it hates you.

Confusion exists...

A lawn mower;

bmw_1_series_5_door_04.jpg

I've driven one. It was a lawnmower. And that is being polite.

:rolleyes:

I've got the £99 B&Q petrol model with the Briggs and Stratton engine. Our garden is not big enough to mandate a petrol mower, but I find petrol power so much better, doesn't matter how wet/long the grass is it just deals with it. Had it about 4 years now with no issues, first start in spring required 2 extra squeezes on the primer and away it goes.

I've got the £99 B&Q petrol model with the Briggs and Stratton engine. Our garden is not big enough to mandate a petrol mower, but I find petrol power so much better, doesn't matter how wet/long the grass is it just deals with it. Had it about 4 years now with no issues, first start in spring required 2 extra squeezes on the primer and away it goes.

We have the same. Its been left outside in the garden unused for over two years untill last weekend. Some fresh Juice and she popped into life first time.

Also great for mowing out old flowers, picking up leaves etc!

Highly reccomended.

Simon

If you are buying petrol buy a Honda. Expensive but bullet proof. you may also want to consider any future grass cutting demands if you were to move house?

Good advice - Honda. Even if you don't get a Honda mower, stick to Honda engines:) It will pay dividends after festering over winter in a damp shed...

To get a decent cut then there is no replacement for displacement :devil: ;)

£99 for a new petrol mower appears to be a bargain. I understand the comments about Honda power, but with Briggs and Stratton the spares are still available for their 1950's engines. :eek:

My only comment would be stowage. An electric flymo can hang on the wall, but the petrol mower will need floor space.

Electric needs no fuel, petrol allows full flexibility without any trailing leads

Petrol will cut the grass, anytime, any place. Electric might!

Good luck with the decision
Regards
John

we just go this one ....for the Wife ehamhttp://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7300112/Trail/searchtext>LAWN+MOWER.htm

we just go this one ....for the Wife eh-am it will not post the link we got a free strimmer as well copy and paste it .

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7300112/Trail/searchtext>LAWN+MOWER.htm

Last edited:
I also have a Briggs and Stratton, SELF PROPELLED, Petrol Mower - have had it for 4 years now without a problem....

Starts first time every spring... One £4.40 full petrol can of unleaded provides a whole years worth of cutting.

Can't recommend it enough - I paid £170 4 years ago for it, and its the best spent on a lawn mower in past two decades, and we have been through a few electric ones.

Hi

My advice would be to buy a petrol and a cheapo at that. I have a wheeled Flymo with a Tecumsha engine. No thottle just a stopper and a collection box. Totally amazed that it statrted first time last night just before the rain came on.:mad:
Do an oil change every year and it should last for ages. Oil change is about 1/2 pint of mineral oil.

Stange thread this one as I have not bought one in years,, I get them free at the recycling center,, OK others have to pay but last week a 9 month old Hoda sold for £25

Bought A Honda petrol about 10 years ago. Have never seriviced it apart from blade replacement. Always starts easily, doesn't matter if its been left for a couple of days or all winter.

Hate electric, cable always seems to be in the way and needs to be unwound and then wound up again. pain in the neck. Petrol, take out of shed, start ( one or two pulls) and you're cutting the grass.

I've had hover, electric, petrol, cheap, expensive, large garden small garden.
Only buy electric if you have a small garden and small is very small.
I have had two B&S motors and a Honda - pay the extra for Honda.
Do not get a cheap flimsy frame, get one in aluminum or some other reinforced material. The objective here is to avoid rusting.
The width of the cut should be as wide as possible BUT the wider it is the more difficult it can be to turn and maneuver around obstacles. If you go to a good place and discuss with somebody knowledgeable, they will advise appropriately.
The more powerful it is the easier everything becomes - ability to cut easily, amount of grass it can collect and the ability to have driven wheels.
If you buy a cheap one you will pay in frustration and the longer time it takes to do everything and the probable need to replace it sooner. If you buy a good quality one, you will fell happier every time you use. It's the same as buying a Mercedes.

I always go for petrol...so much easier ...and yes Briggs and Stratton engines are bullet proof.. Go for an aluminium body and it will last you for years with no rot....

Also adds nicely to your carbon footprint..:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom