Buying a Lemon or a Cracker.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I used to havea Vito Compact Dualiner.
It was 2008, 3.0V6 OM642 120 Sport with 204bhp.
As most people know, for a van, they are very quick. I was really impressed with mine.

I sold the van after circa 3-years of ownership.

Over the past couple of years - seat comfort permitting - I have toyed with the idea of getting another Vito.
I have driven several of the 122 224bhp Sport X vans and the van I had was a fair bit quicker.

Chatting with my Vito pal, Big 'Un, we came to the conclusion that my van must have been re-mapped.

Last night, I called the previous owner.
He bought the van brand new from Mercedes.
The van was regularly served by M-B and also oil changes by his in-house mechanics.
He fimly assured me that the van had never been tinkered with, although did point out that it had never been thrashed in its early life.

So, unless my sense of power and acceleration is warped, I can only conclude that I was lucky to own a real good 'un.

It can be rose tinted spectacles pal; I’ve had this a few times with different cars where you seem to think they were slower/faster than they really were.

The vans you drove later may have been newer and had tighter emission control systems....? Gears and engine mapped for mpg not mph etc?

It can be rose tinted spectacles pal; I’ve had this a few times with different cars where you seem to think they were slower/faster than they really were.

Does that also apply to women from the past?

I used to havea Vito Compact Dualiner.
It was 2008, 3.0V6 OM642 120 Sport with 204bhp.
As most people know, for a van, they are very quick. I was really impressed with mine.

I sold the van after circa 3-years of ownership.

Over the past couple of years - seat comfort permitting - I have toyed with the idea of getting another Vito.
I have driven several of the 122 224bhp Sport X vans and the van I had was a fair bit quicker.

Chatting with my Vito pal, Big 'Un, we came to the conclusion that my van must have been re-mapped.

Last night, I called the previous owner.
He bought the van brand new from Mercedes.
The van was regularly served by M-B and also oil changes by his in-house mechanics.
He fimly assured me that the van had never been tinkered with, although did point out that it had never been thrashed in its early life.

So, unless my sense of power and acceleration is warped, I can only conclude that I was lucky to own a real good 'un.
Despite the difference in power , I think what you experienced was the substantial difference in torque between the 3.0 and the smaller engine .

Look for another V6

Well, as usual, it doesn't take long for a sensible, well-meaning thread to turn down the road to ruin on MBClub.

I love this place. :D

Well , I’ve never had a wife , but I’ve had more than a few lovely girlfriends, including Brigitte Bardot , Joanna Lumley and Daryl Hannah lookalikes - so I feel I’ve been uncommonly fortune 😊

Admittedly, I’m on my own for now , save for the company of my children, and past experience has taught me that no matter how gloomy the present might seem , there can always be something around the corner. Meantime I find contentment as I am ; and the prospect of just being friends with my recent ex is not unappealing , if not looking immediately likely 😊

Last edited:
In my case yes, my wife and both current girlfriends are all much fitter than ex-girlfriends from years ago.
Real man talking there. Out of interest, do you have girth and length to go around ?

Real man talking there. Out of interest, do you have girth and length to go around ?
There can sometimes be other parameters to measure 😊

Reactions: HB
Well , I’ve never had a wife , but I’ve had more than a few lovely girlfriends, including Brigitte Bardot , Joanna Lumley and Daryl Hannah lookalikes - so I feel I’ve been uncommonly fortune 😊

Admittedly, I’m on my own for now , save for the company of my children, and past experience has taught me that no matter how gloomy the present might seem , there can always be something around the corner. Meantime I find contentment as I am ; and the prospect of just being friends with my recent ex is not unappealing , if not looking immediately likely 😊

I'll sure things will work out for you, sometimes time on your own is good

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom