Buying a Mercedes and others saying that you are "rich."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have never been called rich but at 25 my first car was a w202 C240 and a few of my mates called me posh lol!

I don't see why the car cost £1250 and the insurance at the time £1500 which put me on the road cheaper than any other car I looked at and the 2.5ltr V6 was the cherry on top. :D

Im on my 4th merc now and when i bought a ford kuga which was more than any merc ive had .lads at work never said a word. I gave the mrs the kuga and bought a c250 .once again i was called rockerfella.bill gates .you name it...

Both my S203 and the W219 elicited the usual "A Merc eh?" ;)

Bought my first RC and was greeted by "OMG! You've got a Ferrari!!!" :doh::D
azsn5Py5zVCIsKOO5J9LQLeQO4ngU5wOUgDUO9BmWs2XDZDRJ_2LcxSq8X_Yu8JiZh3UDbI89FKLLuJQ6ZfHp1byLp2xRHjjH1tFH4pqSmvL2NEwleL6lyJsM8nFThM9Hx9P_x1xJp5CqTmJ14RhcMk8oT9GlU0v2nmZmWzfmqgPguLIeApE9RFnqKdw1ps_1VTxWqZQhRkpj3_e3tKQRl7KcSK0xwPx8G3KmCU5rclU7_R-P4lADyifr4Jw96oKhwm1OnR0Fkq11wKYeOMHKxDupsg6RjSQS7-Zd1IwxA3Sj63hiDa9DQCM0ZjAl8AEdFtcbqGyfMT6d-LrjG5bRnQSw4zYjhTPBblfxVe2ILd1_haFPlCcdRnTbB_ZE87ehkR4l4AhOzRmyy1H2c_hnB08s2x-tzVEpc3O0MxF-8kgxj1_DyIKKKiOqVPwqc1UCi53qAS3Z4rm1uZvj5yvcvFaYFq4z-6zxXcZSv-em-ioLemcoVrG0TJUPxYBaetGKZamPd0Pph7bhrui8HIwpu9_EGVTONNYdXCcYy-RYgtTPBFooSU9fHbAzuFqty_KyZQcJTY3x699S88mGTDZKTv2E8UwBM8GquCV6sWLq9qpWBrttVJ_t61tf_EYkcoBabmin3lVraR0SJwBSyr2Ica1Qg1ZPW99U8qoG8dTAMqueFgueDRM4Gqn=w1135-h851-no

I had the odd comment in the past turning up in the SL where nobody would have batted an eyelid if I was in the Vito. Yet I paid an awful lot more for the Vito ...

I also once had to point out when claiming travel expenses (actual, rather than fixed mileage rate) that it was cheaper for me to come in the SL. They both return about the same mpg, but diesel costs more.

V8 SL, the choice for the budget-conscious motorist! :D

You know it makes sense :D In fairness the V6 Vito is rather thirsty for a van, and definitely a better option when you need to carry 8 dogs :)

I do get this - people have made such comments to me/about me, even with an almost a 10 year old E Class. Okay it is in mint condition and wears a chav plate however people assume it is worth a lot more, probably because it looks it.

People assume that those that lease/PCP/etc £100K cars must be well off. Many of them probably are whilst others maybe not so. Guess same applies to MB owners ie some are loaded whilst others "getting by".

Ironically, I have a MB car that really should be a drug-dealers car. Black, tints, big alloys, beefy engine, bling and bits plus it is a SUV. :cool:

Until a few days ago I too was driving a 20 year old E Class. Nobody ever came out with the "you must be rich" line but a few people who got in the car said things like wow this is nice".

Think there were a few things at play:

1 It was immaculate inside and out
2 I'd de-badged it
3 Most people don't know much about the MB range and probably can't tell the difference between C & E class, most see a S and it's just another Merc...
4 mine was an E320 most wouldn't notice difference between that and an E63 (unless they were in it and driver 'went for it'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom