Buying a Mercedes and others saying that you are "rich."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For $200,000 you will get good apartments/houses in all the countries.

$200,000 or $500,000 car is something which looks scam or fraud. How can cars be so highly priced.

What is your point?

Yes, apartments and houses can be bought for $200k+.,so can cars.
I don't understand why you think a car that costs a lot of money is a scam or a fraud? Nobody is being forced to pay that much when there are cheaper options.
However, rich people do exist and paying $200k+ for a car is perfectly normal for them. There is no scam or fraud.

Just a observation ........

A few years back my Aunt in Law come round in her brand new boggo standard Golf, all 16 Grands worth.

She saw my new to me W202, all 800 quids worth.

Her comment was, oooo a Mercedes !

My car exactly 1/20th the cost of hers but still got a oooo

Read into that what you want :)

I don't get why people think it is a big deal to own a MB these days.

The market is flooded with cheap late model, used cars that can be purchased on a finance plan by almost anyone that has a half reasonable job. I'd hazard a guess that 3/4 of the cars owned on this forum were purchased used.

I'm very sceptical when I hear anyone complaining about not having enough pension in retirement. I've just passed 65 so have been doing the sums on Excel. The first thing to realise is you no pay national insurance which is really just another tax so you need less pre-tax income to achieve what you previously had coming in. But forget tax for a minute, the full state pension is now set to be £9110 from next April so if have a partner that's £18220 and not a penny yet paid in tax. Add even modest work place pensions to that and you have a comfortable income with the first £25000 between you and still no tax paid. Pensioners have never been so well off.

The Global 1%, by wealth. Roughly 42 million people worldwide.

And the entry requirement to this group?

Assets worth £770k ($1 million). So basically any newly retired pair of teachers is in it, because their home, savings, and pension pot will be worth more than £770k.

Here's the explanation / data: Are 26 billionaires worth more than half the planet? The debate, explained.

Fotolia_120371142_M-825pix-825x510.jpg

Does your cat have any debts? If she doesn't have debts, your cat is worth more than the combined wealth of half of all America

Here's the explanation of how 150 million Americans have a combined total net worth less than your cat.

(Yes the 150,000,000 have a total combined net worth less than your cat)

One brutal sentence captures what a disaster money in America has become

Russian-Blue-Cat.jpg

Last edited:
But forget tax for a minute, the full state pension is now set to be £9110 from next April so if have a partner that's £18220

You are assuming if you have a partner, you are unmarried using your figures above.
If you are married, the figure is subsatntially lower at £11167 pa.
I wouldn't say that is a huge sum to survive on should you have been unfortunate enough not to have been able to make further pension arrangements during your working life.

State pension will rise by £343 a year from April 2020

You are assuming if you have a partner, you are unmarried using your figures above.
If you are married, the figure is subsatntially lower at £11167 pa.

I don't understand how being married has anything to do with it. Does the figure of £11167 assume one of the partners has never worked. If so that's untypical of the average family. A partner who didn't work while raising a family and then returns to work will still easily qualify for a full state pension. We have both had state pensions quotes and my wife qualifies for the full pension even though she has only worked part time for the past 20 years

Edit:
I see now where you got the married figure from. I hadn't bothered following your link to the pension increase because I already knew what it was and had taken account of it in my figures. Now I have followed the link I see the married figure stated. It was very misleading of them to publish that figure without explanation of what it means. It does indeed refer to the situation where one partner has never built up a pension entitlement on their own behalf which must be very rare these days.

Last edited:
Assets worth £770k ($1 million). So basically any newly retired pair of teachers is in it, because their home, savings, and pension pot will be worth more than £770k.

And then some. That's a good point about people not always accounting for a pension pot in their wealth calculations. Working in a school I have some idea what a teachers pension pot is and for a pair of full career teachers it would typically exceed half a million each. I have only 17 years in the Local Government Pension scheme and my pot is already worth over £160K. And before anyone thinks the local government scheme is generous it's actually worse than my previous employer. Generally speaking people don't understand how big a pension pot has to be to provide a particular amount of pension. For a rough figure multiply your annual pension by 20 or 21 and that will give the size of your pension pot.

These days every annual pension statement for a work place pension has to provide the notional value of your pension pot because it will be taken into account in the calculations towards the pension life time allowance which currently stands at a little of £1 million. People think of £1millon as an extravagant pension pot but huge numbers of well paid professionals are bumping up against it before retirement. For Doctors in particular it's a big issue and it's resulting in many of them feeling forced to retire early.

Last edited:
And then some. That's a good point about people not always accounting for a pension pot in their wealth calculations. Working in a school I have some idea what a teachers pension pot is and for a pair of full career teachers it would typically exceed half a million each. I have only 17 years in the Local Government Pension scheme and my pot is already worth over £160K. And before anyone thinks the local government scheme is generous it's actually worse than my previous employer. Generally speaking people don't understand how big a pension pot has to be to provide a particular amount of pension. For a rough figure multiply your annual pension by 20 or 21 and that will give the size of your pension pot.

These days every annual pension statement for a work place pension has to provide the notional value of your pension pot because it will be taken into account in the calculations towards the pension life time allowance which currently stands at a little of £1 million. People think of £1millon as an extravagant pension pot but huge numbers of well paid professionals are bumping up against it before retirement. For Doctors in particular it's a big issue and it's resulting in many of them feeling forced to retire early.
For doctors it's worse than that. They cannot do "overtime" because, in effect, they pay for the privilege. So...they earn the extra gross...but the net is they pay more than 100% in tax etc. The law of intended consequences means a shortage of surgeons etc when they are needed.

Agree with what others have said, it's the important things that make you "rich". ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cars: C350e, 911sc, S320, E55K Estate

So not actually irrelevant ;)

A list of cars doesn't necessarily make money relevant.

I have what I consider to be a nice car but I wouldn't give a flying if I didn't have it and nor would I trade what means the most to me for it.

If it's there and you can spend it, you only live once so good luck to you and enjoy it.

I still struggle to understand how half of all Americans (150 million people) have a combined net worth, as a group, of nothing. `

Why don't these Yanks stop buying irrelevant nonsense?

I still struggle to understand how half of all Americans (150 million people) have a combined net worth, as a group, of nothing. `

Why don't these Yanks stop buying irrelevant nonsense?

Maybe a little simplified?

I still struggle to understand how half of all Americans (150 million people) have a combined net worth, as a group, of nothing.

Hand-to-mouth existence based on pitiful minimum wage and a low level of support from the state?

At least 15 million people in the UK have no assets either, and that’s even with a more supportive state including welfare and free healthcare which are minimal in the US.

Cars: C350e, 911sc, S320, E55K Estate

So not actually irrelevant ;)
I never actually said the cars enrich my life. In fact I am not sure they do.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom