Buying a new car - help/advice needed :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercnewbie

Car
C220 CDI AMG Coupe
I've owned a C220 CDI Coupe W203 panoramic 52 plate (manual) for over 10 years now and it's looking tired. Although it drives fine and still gives me ~50 mpg, with a young family it's time for an upgrade and a couple of extra doors.

The amount I have to spend is ~9k because I do not want to have any debt/finance. I've been looking on Autotrader for a couple of weeks and can see this will get me something like a 2007 - 2009 C Class 220 CDI SE saloon with anything from 80 - 120k miles on the clock. I test drove an automatic at the weekend - it wasn't the best example with badly curbed wheels and an obvious repair to the front bumper but overall I was pleased and am almost certain this is the car for me.

Is there anything specific I should look for/avoid e.g. factory upgrades which are a must have or common faults for this model?

The blue efficiency (OM651)?

A quick Google search and all I can find is injector problems......any direction to help would be much appreciated.

I Don't think you will find any make of car without known problems at some stage. I don't doubt there are many 651 engined cars without issues. I thought the injector issues were solved by a recall.

I understand they all may have their own issues, some more significant that others.

To give another example; the handling of the BMW Efficient Dynamics model is supposed to be awful without the expensive adaptive suspension upgrade. Finding a used model that has this proved to be a challenge (at least for the price range I have been looking at anyway). This is the kind of thing I was hoping to establish.

I've an 08 W204. The only option I haven't got that I wish I had is heated seats. I don't know how important that is to you, but on a cold winter's morning the cold leather is pretty brutal to sit on...

nick mercedes said:
I myself would avoid anything with a M651 engine in it.
Nick what are your opinions on a e350 cdi engine on a facelift 61 reg e coupe ? An what will it be called e.g OM***? Cheers

I've an 08 W204. The only option I haven't got that I wish I had is heated seats. I don't know how important that is to you, but on a cold winter's morning the cold leather is pretty brutal to sit on...

I agree. However, I don't like full leather because of how it looks when aged so half leather will be a must for me :)

mercnewbie said:
Does this forum have hijacking rules :ban: :D
A week later, please behave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom