"Buying a new M-B" sticky?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Being fortunate enough to buy a new car comes with it a mix of emotions, questions and concerns. Now I've been on the forum for a month or so and seen a steady stream of newbies , in wondering if there is a sticky I've missed, or if not, how about the experienced members contributing to one?

e.g.
* tips on getting a good deal from M-B / dealers
* quirks of using portals like carwow.co uk
* tracking by VIN (online or via dealer)
* delivery (dealer or factory - officially stopped around 4 yrs ago, but are there alternatives, eg visiting with your new car?)
* insurance extras (bodywork, wheels, etc)
* useful extras? eg spare wheels, winter tyres, boot liners, etc
* roadside assistance (always bundled?)
* helpful checklists?
* maintenance strategy
etc...

At first glance, I assumed this thread to be regarding how to buy an MB club sticker?

Maybe others thought the same, and did not open it?

Neil

I understood it, But unfortunately im not fortunate enough to buy a New MB, So have no constructive imput lol

OK, so no appetite for a new car sticky. But I have some info though that might help newbie new M-B buyers (those that never have done before).

For me delivery ("D") day is 1st March 2017 when I go pick up the car from the main dealer.

D-138 car ordered 14 Oct 2016 over the phone, deposit paid
D-138 setup Mercedes Me account online
D-97 received build date (16 Jan), earliest delivery date (3 Feb) by email
D-54 received VIN by email - I asked for it. I added it to my Mercedes Me a/c
D-44 car built (14 hours, says the dealer)
D-37 car leaves Zeebrugge port on a RO-RO ferry (a ship called Pauline!)
D-36 car arrives Killingholme port , Grimsby
D-35 car arrives at dealer in Grimsby
D-40 car passes PDI notification date (PDI likely happened earlier)
D-33 book pickup slot (they are spaced at 30 min intervals, busiest day of the year?)
D-22 number plate offered and selected. I added it to my Mercedes Me a/c
D-18 go online to order the free First Cover insurance

Still to go
* pay remaining outstanding balance, likely D-14
* decide/arrange paint prep (new car detail)
* arrange annual insurance, likely D-7
* decide on extra insurance: Tyres/Wheens, Scratch, GAP, etc
* D-0 at dealer, activate desired services on Mercedes Me
* find house with decent garage and workshop (or build one)
* drive off!

At first glance, I assumed this thread to be regarding how to buy an MB club sticker?

Maybe others thought the same, and did not open it?

Neil
Good point. I was hoping to find a sticky about buying a new, or I guess any car from an M-B dealer, as quite a lot will be common apart from the build and ship.

D+21 - Damn car squeaks/scratched/crabs on full lock/creaks

Did it? That's was funny to read, but I hope it didn't happen to you in real life! Am hoping for...
D+7 everything a new car should be

Rule one : If you don't ask, you don't get. I asked if mats came with the car and if I could have a spare rear numberplate for the caravan. Both were there, FOC, when I collected the car.

Pay no more than you have to, use brokers, online sites, visit more than one dealer.

If you don't have a relationship with a dealer already don't automatically give the order to the closest, visit a few and find which seems best suited to working with you for the next 3-5 years.

Take any dates given with a pinch of salt, some tabasco, and a large dose of paracetamol.

Remember that the purchase is the start of the relationship, so be fair but firm, and understand that they need to make a profit to keep in business and serve you well.

Get a fair valuation of your trade in before you ask, use the online sites. Personally I prefer to sell the existing car privately, that should put an extra £1000 or more in your pocket and gives the dealer less work to do. Don't expect them to match a broker and also pay more than we buy any car...

Drink the coffee, use the toilets, take your time, ask every question.

Write everything down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom