Buying a R170

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
Having said goodbye to our e320 estate and replaced it with a discovery (work and business vehicle) and having also sold her ladyships Audi convertible it's time for a Merc just for fun. Am looking at a 320slk beyond blocked drains, seals on the roof and a correctly closing roof mechanism what else should I be worried about as R170's are now of some age. Should I go for the auto or the 6 speed manual? Thanks Paul.

Last edited:
Find a 171. The 170s will be dust soon.

HB said:
Find a 171. The 170s will be dust soon.

Hi Harry, I like the look of a R170 and the R172 series, the pointy nose of the 171 isn't so appealing.

I appreciate the tin worm issues that might arise and will look carefully

Cheers

Hi Harry, I like the look of a R170 and the R172 series, the pointy nose of the 171 isn't so appealing.

I appreciate the tin worm issues that might arise and will look carefully

Cheers
The same way a 208 is much better looking than a 209 even though the 208 rusts like hell. . I get it.

I've just agreed to buy a more or less mint R170 SLK230 which was / is a show car. My mate had one and it was terrific fun. These are supposed to be appreciating up and coming classics now but obviously need to be in good condition. Sadly many aren't so good.

Last edited:
There are not many around that don't have rust so check well before you buy if you see the slightest rising of the paint this could be a much bigger problem. Personally i would have these area rubbed down and repainted even if you find a wonderful car. Good luck in your search.
I think a auto would be the best bet but it is something you and your good lady need to discus.

I think the 170 is a great choice as a fun car, not to mention great value too. I considered one myself not so long ago but bought Jap instead. From what I've seen rusty front wings and rear arches seem to be the main issues but came across several that had zero rust. I also drove both manual & auto versions, auto seemed the better choice overall but a nice 230K manual makes a lot of sense and gives the 170 a bit more of a sporting feel and not that much slower than a 320 was the impression I got.

As for the 171 as mentioned above, I'd take a 170 instead, better valve and I'd imagine easier to keep maintained also possibly there's less to go wrong?

Good luck with the hunting.

Thanks for the replies, saw one this morning, I couldn't see any rust or evidence of paint repair but I'm no expert. The roof operated without fault a number of times which was encouraging and no nasty damp smells in the car indicating leaks or blocked drains. Opening the boot was interesting as it didn't want to stay up I assume the 2 small rams are supposed to do that or is there something else that opens the boot that might be amiss?

It's not uncommon gas struts failing. It should be a cheap and simple fix.

Thanks for the replies, saw one this morning, I couldn't see any rust or evidence of paint repair but I'm no expert. The roof operated without fault a number of times which was encouraging and no nasty damp smells in the car indicating leaks or blocked drains. Opening the boot was interesting as it didn't want to stay up I assume the 2 small rams are supposed to do that or is there something else that opens the boot that might be amiss?

Yep, mine is like that, too.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. (Mine does have some rust.)

I bought a very nice R170 SLK320 auto. two years ago for £8k; 2001 car with 23k miles.

Fabulously pampered car.......I got a bargain.

IMG_0318.jpg

Mic

MicB said:
I bought a very nice R170 SLK320 auto. two years ago for £8k; 2001 car with 23k miles. Fabulously pampered car.......I got a bargain. Mic

That does look nice, finding a dark blue one is a bit like finding an honest politician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom