Buying a used car during lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350, SL400
I know that car showrooms are currently closed but can sell cars for delivery or click and collect. Is it allowed to buy a used car privately during lockdown providing social distancing is observed? I can't find anywhere that gives a definitive answer to this question.

I know that car showrooms are currently closed but can sell cars for delivery or click and collect. Is it allowed to buy a used car privately during lockdown providing social distancing is observed? I can't find anywhere that gives a definitive answer to this question.
Bit of a grey area, I'd suggest. A factor for me would be what is the necessity for buying a car right now? Do you need a new (to you) car for an essential purpose such as commuting? If you're buying it as an additional car, as in you already have a viable means of personal transport, then I'd say you're flouting the rules as your journey to view/buy/collect is not essential.

Definitely a grey area. I read an article recently where a guy was fined for breaking lockdown rules when going to see a used car. I echo the post above regarding reasons for needed a car urgently (key workers etc)

If you need a car to get to work or some other necessity then I’d say yes but, in general I’d err on the side of caution and say no.

I'm in the market for a retirement "toy" but will either buy from dealer delivered or click and collect (until lockdown restrictions are ended)

I've recently been thinking about checking out some cars for sale as well, but the UK Gov't website literally says 'Stay at home - Do not leave your home unless necessary'. For me it is not necessary, so I'll leave it for now. For others who don't have a working car but are in need of one, it might be necessary.

It somewhat surprises me that you even had to look this up. Ten months into a global pandemic, in national lockdown and with the NHS on its knees......... what is not to understand about making essential journeys only

Will this bring down prices though?
Lots of cars for sale with no customers.
Possibly. It depends how much someone needs to sell. If someone can’t wait then lowering the price may prompt someone to buy unseen to avoid missing out, and potential break the rules.

However overall if this lockdown only lasts a few months then if almost everyone holds firm on price - because everyone knows that people can’t buy cars - then overalls the market might hold steady.

Possibly. It depends how much someone needs to sell. If someone can’t wait then lowering the price may prompt someone to buy unseen to avoid missing out, and potential break the rules.

However overall if this lockdown only lasts a few months then if almost everyone holds firm on price - because everyone knows that people can’t buy cars - then overalls the market might hold steady.
It’s a bummer because I’ve seen something for the summer which may have potential.

It somewhat surprises me that you even had to look this up. Ten months into a global pandemic, in national lockdown and with the NHS on its knees......... what is not to understand about making essential journeys only

Agreed, but decisions like the recent one to officially class fishing as a form of exercise (so it's now a permitted reason to leave your house during lockdown) muddy the waters somewhat.

It seems to me that some people want to find a way to try and justify a way round the lockdown restrictions that suits them - "oh I was confused because I heard that I could go fishing and I thought it would be OK to detour to go and look at a car as a present for myself" - which bit of how the virus spreads do people not understand after 10 months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom