Buying a Viano.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donr

Car
C220 cdi (W203) Estate sport and W639 3cdi Viano ambience 2008
I am considering trading-in my V220cdi for a Viano, and have been scanning the ads on the internet. I noticed on a couple of descriptions that the vehicle was described as having 'height adjustable air suspension system'
Is this common to Viano's or is it an add-on ? The reason that I ask, is that my V220 cdi originally had an air suspension system, which was nothing but trouble, cost me hundreds to try to fix by Mercedes, and ended up as bad as ever.:wallbash: I got a solution eventually by taking up a suggestion made by Dronsfields, and having the rear suspension converted to a convention coil spring system (similar to the Vito):) This works perfectly, and I should hate to buy a Viano and have to go through the same trauma. In addition does anybody know of any other vices that Viano's have ? There seem to be a heck of a lot of them for sale second-hand.

Where are you seeing all these Vianos?

When I was contemplating buying one, there weren't that many on the market?

All Vianos (and Vitos) apart from the very first ones are galvanised and have a 12 year bodywork warranty. Nothing like the 638 Vito and V Class which rusted just like W210s etc. did.

639 Vitos are taking over as London cabs now, plenty of Police forces have them too. And Vianos are widely used as executive taxis, airport/hotel shuttles etc.

Last edited:
All Vianos (and Vitos) apart from the very first ones are galvanised and have a 12 year bodywork warranty. Nothing like the 638 Vito and V Class which rusted just like W210s etc. did.

How come I keep seeing rusty ones?

Spotted an 08 plate Sprinter with rotten door bottoms the other day...

They do rust only if they are not washed. We look after quite a few now and they are not too bad. The air suspension is very reliable too. We look after a 56 plate one with 320,000 on and it has just needed a new fuel pump in the tank as well as a high pressure pump only because he picked up a batch of dirty fuel. Thats all.

All the steel body panels on the 639 Vito/Viano are galvanised ... same as all modern Mercs. And the front wings are plastic (although they have just gone back to steel ones in the 2011 facelift). If they were generally unreliable rustbuckets there's no way the people I mentioned before would use them in the numbers they do.

No rust on my late 05 plate Vito 115 DL spotless all round.

All the steel body panels on the 639 Vito/Viano are galvanised ... same as all modern Mercs. And the front wings are plastic (although they have just gone back to steel ones in the 2011 facelift). If they were generally unreliable rustbuckets there's no way the people I mentioned before would use them in the numbers they do.

They do rust though. The bonnets and where the door sliders are the worst places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom