Buying a W209 CLK320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ceramicolive

Car
W212 E250 CDI
I've been looking for an SLK for a while and have seen some less than desirable examples and my thoughts turned to the CLK, In my eyes it's still a handsome car and they are very cheap for what they are. Now, I've seen what appears to be a very clean example local to me it's a CLK320 80000 miles with full service history it's a 2003 model. Is there anything I should be aware of with this year of car, I think I'm right in saying it will be a 5 speed and I can remember something about the radiators. Thanks in advance.

You are thinking of Valeo radiators leaking coolant into the transmission ATF via the heat exchanger (aka ATF radiator).

You'll need to Google it though, to see if the 2003 CLK is one is one of the models affected by this issue.

At any rate I would have expected that by now all affected cars would have been repaired.

MB started galvanising cars at some point during 2003, so the car you are looking at is more likely to be one of those galvanised if it's a late 2003 registration.

Either way look carefully for rust, usual places e.g. wheel arches, doors, boot lid, etc, but also under the car.

Most of the pre face lift cars I have looked at seem to have wheel arch rust unfortunately. Never sure how serious it is especially if repaired previously.

After 18 years I wouldnt worry about raditor issues!

As above, rust on rear arches + early ones have a nasty dash.

Most of the pre face lift cars I have looked at seem to have wheel arch rust unfortunately. Never sure how serious it is especially if repaired previously.
They all go on the rear arches, even my late facelift W211 did. Catch early while it’s just on the inner lip & you can DIY it pretty easily. My 04 is galvanised. A low miler still might have an original Valeo rad. I replaced mine with a Nissens.

I would find a V8 as the V6 won’t exactly be frugal anyway.

I do like the V8's but the cost of road tax is a step to far for me

Road tax on a pre 2006 V8 isn't a lot more than a V6, Buy the car you really want not just the one you feel you can afford especially for about £100 per year. (And i don't mean that in a funny way)

Tony.

I've been looking for an SLK for a while and have seen some less than desirable examples and my thoughts turned to the CLK, In my eyes it's still a handsome car and they are very cheap for what they are. Now, I've seen what appears to be a very clean example local to me it's a CLK320 80000 miles with full service history it's a 2003 model. Is there anything I should be aware of with this year of car, I think I'm right in saying it will be a 5 speed and I can remember something about the radiators. Thanks in advance.

Did you get one in the end?

Moving from a W202 to a CLK I'm still learning and hadn't appreciated the VED change in 2006.
I presume the V8 is better balanced and therefore doesn't have the same issues as the 320?

The 5.0 V8 is a great engine. Nice and torquey and probably not much difference to the V6 petrol fuel wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom