Buying a W209 CLK55 AMG - need help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

higgysmalls

Hi Folks

This is my first post as a new member so first things first - hi! Nice to be here...

I've found a tidy looking 2004 W209 CLK55 AMG, full main dealer service history, 55K miles, all the toys. It looks like a great example but I'm going to be stretching my budget to buy and run it so really want to make sure I don't end up with endless repair bills! With all those gadgets I know the chances of something electrical going wrong are a bit higher but are there any known faults with the model or any things I should look out for when looking around the car? Any mega expensive services in the schedule? Any pertinent questions I should be asking the dealer? If there are any other members with similar cars who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks very much

Apart from the normal things, check that its had a spark plug and transmission oil change... if not I would get them done in the deal as they are expensive things due at about your mileage.

Apart from that just ensure it changed gear nice and smoothly as it may still be affected by the valeo radiator (do a search!)

Jaymanek that's great, thanks very much for the advice. Google tells me I want to see wavy edged crimping on the radiator! I'll be pushing hard for at least 1 year's warranty into the deal but obviously would rather hassle free motoring.

Does anybody else have anything to add?

Its difficult to see the radiator with all the trimmings in place, however at this age, there is a good chance that if it had the valeo radiator, its already had the issue.

Okey doke, I'll make sure I'm paying attention to the shift smoothness on the test drive then. Cheers Jaymanek

Okey doke, I'll make sure I'm paying attention to the shift smoothness on the test drive then. Cheers Jaymanek

Any torque convertor issues will show up at low speed, so when gently taking off or coming to a stop... if you boot it the convertor just locks up so you wont feel any shake.

OK - and I'm listening out for a droning noise or any jolting, right? I'll save the lead foot for the drive home if I do buy it!

thats the one... but you do want to give it a bit of a booting to ensure gear changes are smooth under load.

thats the one... but you do want to give it a bit of a booting to ensure gear changes are smooth under load.
Optionally with a window open. Try not to grin too much as it hurts your negotiating ability later on!

Hi Folks

This is my first post as a new member so first things first - hi! Nice to be here...

I've found a tidy looking 2004 W209 CLK55 AMG, full main dealer service history, 55K miles, all the toys. It looks like a great example but I'm going to be stretching my budget to buy and run it so really want to make sure I don't end up with endless repair bills! With all those gadgets I know the chances of something electrical going wrong are a bit higher but are there any known faults with the model or any things I should look out for when looking around the car? Any mega expensive services in the schedule? Any pertinent questions I should be asking the dealer? If there are any other members with similar cars who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks very much
As well as the info jay etc have given,make sure the tyres are good(£600+ a set),check out how much the insurance will be(road tax £435 a year)expect around 23mpg over a tank if your not too heavy on the right pedal;)

... and the discs and pads. They are mega money if fully floating front discs. £470 each disc PLUS vat.

As well as the info jay etc have given,make sure the tyres are good(£600+ a set),check out how much the insurance will be(road tax £435 a year)expect around 23mpg over a tank if your not too heavy on the right pedal;)

Ah yes! I often played a game in mine to see if I could get 25mpg out of it - I never could!
The Valeo radiator issue is a big one and one you need to ask about especially as I believe the dodgey rads were changed in 2004. Also the front suspension bushes go easily on them so maybe worth checking with the dealer if they have been done or to reassure you they are in good condition. Finally I would ask if it has had a new gearbox plug recently - if not it maybe worth asking them to stick one in for you, they tend to leak which can become a major problem if not caught early.

Apart from that I hope it works out for you. There great cars!

Hi, I'm thinking of a clk55 too. either an early leggy shed (2003 with 90k), or maybe spend a bit more on a later 05 cab.

If they are pre 06 the tax should be only £200ish, no?

Can anyone post a link to advice on the rad update? If the rad has been changed would it have been to a later type that has no problems? What actually happens if it goes wrong?

I've read about rust - rear arches & elsewhere possible issue pre 2004?

Any other issues? they seem quite cheap. Anyone selling? :)

Road tax £245 I think, for pre-Mar06.

Search for valeo or glycol or crimped for info on rad issues. Useful thread:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/41764-official-test-proceedure-valeo-radiator-issue.html

In short, if it goes it will shift awkwardly at first, accompanied by a humming/droning noise, and will eventually kill the torque converter and damage the gearbox. Caused because coolant (containing glycol) from the coolant circuit gets into the transmission fluid circuit inside the Valeo radiator. Later radiators can be identified by the presence of crimping.

Generally fairly robust. And yes they are good value. Check out the Classifieds section where member JonMad has a particularly special example for sale at a great price:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/clas...one-off-stripped-out-2003-w209-clk55-amg.html

Last edited:
Thanks bobby - that's very helpful.

If a car has the juddering already, does it mean the converter will be wrecked, or do you just change the rad and flush the fluids, and alls ok?

I guess the cost of this is a lot less than this plus a new converter on top!

The stripped out one is inteesting, but not quite what I'm after!

Thanks bobby - that's very helpful.

If a car has the juddering already, does it mean the converter will be wrecked, or do you just change the rad and flush the fluids, and alls ok?

I guess the cost of this is a lot less than this plus a new converter on top!

The stripped out one is inteesting, but not quite what I'm after!

No problem.

If it's already juddering, unless you get a BIG discount then it's walk-away time, I'd suggest. Allow for say £1500 for an indie to flush and replace torque convertor, maybe cheaper for a non-OEM TC. A TC from MB is just shy of £1000 if I remember right. Of course you won't know if it will also need gearbox work at the point of buying which would then mean greater expense.

Jay above has/did have one for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom