Buying a W212 250cdi/350cdi advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craigyboy9

Car
Caddy Maxi 2009
Afternoon Everyone,

Just joined this morning and didn’t want to get into the whole discussion on my intro thread, so I’m going to post this new thread. Hope it’s ok to do this at this early stage of membership.

We have a new baby in the house and I currently have a VW Caddy Maxi, that’s been my every day vehicle for over two years now. It’s used for commuting to work, part-timing and for transporting my trackbike to trackdays and euro trackday pick ups, I do about 12-14k miles annually. With the wee boy arriving it’s not really suitable for us a family now. Plus my other half has an industrial injury to her left arm and can’t drive manuals any more.

I’ve been looking at larger estate cars and I think the W212 fits the bill. In AG trim and Sport trim they have all the toys I’d expect from a Merc, but at my price range Max £10k, is it the car for me?

I went to see a nice example (250 AG) a couple of weeks back, just to sit in it and see it close up. It’s in my budget, 1 owner, full MB service history, but the mileage is just under 100k. I really liked it and I think they look way better than the rivals (A6/520d m sport/ Skoda Superb Elegance). Comfort, space and reliability is what I’m after here.

If anyone can spare a bit of time and give some advice and owner stories both good and bad, I’d be grateful.

thanks Craig .

I've had my 350 cdi for nearly 2 years now, albeit a coupe, it's been brilliant, it's the 265 bhp model, but the 231bhp model would be great aswell,
it's smooth, quiet, relatively frugal and very fast, when you feel like a play :rolleyes: and all the goodies you'll ever need, I know you mentioned the 250
which is an excellent motor, but the 350 cdi V6 is something else, obviously my experience is with the coupe,
but I've no doubt a 350 estate would be fantastic, if you can, get one with a Pan Roof, I reckon if you drove a 350 your mind would be made up.
:)

I’ve had my E250 for a while now. It’s been a great motor - very economical and I just love the W212s styling and interior. The 250 feels quite nice to drive (even after jumping out of the AMG).

Reliability wise the 250 has an OM651 engine - they are good engines but as with most they have their fair share of common problems too. Timing chains can stretch (£700 inc parts & labour), fuel filter housings can leak (£40 part + £200 labour), water pumps tend to go (£90+labour).... :)

Mines now on 198k and the timing chain needs doing. I’ll be having it done after this virus situation passes. I still love the car and will be keeping it well into 300k miles :)

I have E250CDI AG estate MY2010 for 4 years now and it is a very capable family lugger. It is not frugal and refined like 350CDI but is a well built engine with good MPG and more than enough torque and power for daily use and long holiday trips. On autobahn you don’t have to move away to too many cars. :cool:
Space and comfort wise E class is the nicest and largest estate money can buy.
At 100k miles you should budget 2-3k for consumables which tend to fail at that mark:
- thermostat
- coolant pump
- oil cooler
- fuel filter housing
I had to change all above between 105-115k miles.
With coolant pump change it is wise to change the serpentine belt and tensioners and it should fit in the above budget.
The other thing you should pay attention to are the rear air suspension components (air lines, air compressor, valves and bellows), if after sitting for a while the car drops at the rear it might be that some of the above needs to be changed, usually bellows.
Mine is with manual gearbox and maintenance free but since you are after a car with auto box check if there are any proofs of regular gearbox services, I think it should be serviced every 37k miles.
Choose wisely and you will be very happy with it.

Apart from the above potential faults, evidence appears to be emerging that early W212 models may suffer from the same rear subframe corrosion problems as their smaller W204 brethern. May be worth getting an older car up on a ramp to inspect the underside

Apart from the above potential faults, evidence appears to be emerging that early W212 models may suffer from the same rear subframe corrosion problems as their smaller W204 brethern. May be worth getting an older car up on a ramp to inspect the underside

Mines spot on still - 2009 reg.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Certainly from what I’ve read elsewhere and from your replies.
The big one seems to be timing chain/tensioner failure stretch. The other big one is the air suspension. Apparently £500 a corner to have it overhauled.
In an ideal world if I could pick up a 1-2 owner around 80k miles and full MB history. I’d be happy with that.
I think the 350 is going to be just a bit too expensive to run, the tax is double and while it’s not a greedy engine by any stretch of the imagination, it is less economic than the 250’s. The other side of the coin is of course that the v6 is probably less likely to have a catastrophic failure and may be the better choice for the long run.
I’m hoping that with the lockdown, there’s going to be a deal to be had as most of the traders aren’t going to be selling anything.

I have a S212 e350 and have had it for about 3 years now - it has been faultless and such a nice place to be. In AG spec it is comfortable cruiser + if and when you feel the need there is plenty of torque that never seems to run out. Fuel wise always surprises me how it does so well - particularly on longer runs. Lots of space, lots of creature comforts and very safe for family.

E250 covering 25K/year and driven nearly 200K. Required - water pump, dpf clean, battery, snapped rear coil spring, usual service items. Amazed that not even replaced a bulb to date. Averaged over 50MPG. The interior is starting to show wear in the drivers seat (but then I do weigh 100+KG and live-in-the-car).

Essentially, right up there with my previous Hondas for reliability and "enjoyment of ownership". I religiously udertake oil+filters myself and so never have to visit the stealership.

Agree with posters that say that the E350 has a more oomph due to power/torque, Allow for 8-10MPG difference.

I've got 2 x W212 E250, good cars even with their known faults.

I'd like a 350 though so would likely go that route if changing.

I've got a 350 saloon which is available

@OP I've no experience of the 250 but I can say the engine in the 350 (mine is the 265bhp variant) is an absolute gem.

I’ve got a 2011 E250 estate AG that’s now on 95k. I love it, more than enough urge and a perfect mile muncher. Mine has had water pump, one rear bellows and I’ve also just had the engine and transmission mounts changed. The mounts made a huge difference. Much quieter, no vibration and the gear changes seem a lot smoother. So worth factoring in mounts if not done.

How much did the engine mounts cost to swap?
I had mine done mate on my 250 - labour was about £150 and £250 for the parts (genuine) or £150 Lemforder. This also includes the transmission mount. On the 212 651 I think the exhaust have to come off to get to one of the mounts.

I’ve had both the W212 in saloon and coupe version, the saloon was a 250cdi and coupe was 350cdi.. if I was you I would definitely go for the 350 as it’s more refined and reliable.. obviously increased power feels so much better however fuel consumption isn’t actually that much different as I can remember spending the same amount on fuel every week.. the tax isn’t really an issue as it’s a one off payment every year and for me the increase wasn’t that much extra back then.. oh and find your self a local recommended mb independent, the services and repairs etc will cost peanuts in comparison to the main dealers..

I've had my 350 cdi for nearly 2 years now, albeit a coupe, it's been brilliant, it's the 265 bhp model, but the 231bhp model would be great aswell,
it's smooth, quiet, relatively frugal and very fast, when you feel like a play :rolleyes: and all the goodies you'll ever need, I know you mentioned the 250
which is an excellent motor, but the 350 cdi V6 is something else, obviously my experience is with the coupe,
but I've no doubt a 350 estate would be fantastic, if you can, get one with a Pan Roof, I reckon if you drove a 350 your mind would be made up.
:)
I’ve got a blue spark chip if your interested ? It takes it to around 310bhp. I took it of my old e350 cdi 265

Arab3. If SmartAMG is "sorted". Drop me a PM please. May as well buy more useless stuff whilst sat at home !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom