Buying a W221 S Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m still considering a 2007/2008 S Class, most around seem to have about 65,000-80,000 miles on the clock.

What are the servicing requirements for these cars at that mileage? Assuming they have a service history, is there anything major or whatever which is going to need done?

hat are the servicing requirements for these cars at that mileage? Assuming they have a service history, is there anything major or whatever which is going to need done?

I have had my 2008 W221 500L from new which has now covered 161,000 miles. As you say assuming they have a full service history, the major items

Spark plugs every 60,000 or 4 years
Service book says ATF changed once at 40,000. I have changed mine 4 times as advised by Olly at PCS and other knowledgeable people.
The rest is just normal "A" +"B" Services. Filters, break fluid etc.

The car is still running very strong as you would expect from a 5.5 V8. Mine has Airmatic, had a couple of Struts replaced + Starter Motor and Alternator. Heated Front Seat stopped working, all happened after 135,000 miles.

Thanks - but the idea of buying this car is that it’s cheap. Cive been leasing cars over the last few years but unfortunately a change in circumstance has meant I can’t do the same any more. So the V8 is out of the question, as much as I’d like it.

So it’s the lower end diesel cars I’m looking at right now, around the £7k mark. But I don’t want to be buying something that needs a load of work done, servicing or otherwise.

I have had my 2008 W221 500L from new which has now covered 161,000 miles. As you say assuming they have a full service history, the major items

Has the ABC fluid ever been changed in it?

It's not a service item I believe but I've read a lot of advice which supports doing it.

If budget is a concern, is a 221 the right place to be looking?

Thanks - but the idea of buying this car is that it’s cheap. Cive been leasing cars over the last few years but unfortunately a change in circumstance has meant I can’t do the same any more. So the V8 is out of the question, as much as I’d like it.
So it’s the lower end diesel cars I’m looking at right now, around the £7k mark. But I don’t want to be buying something that needs a load of work done, servicing or otherwise.

The world's leading sophisticated Limousine, that cost £60+k new is the wrong choice for someone concerned about limiting costs.

As has been said already, work out what you're trying to achieve and choose the right car for your budget.

Apart from the obvious maintenance costs, the road tax and fuel consumption obviously rule the S Class out for someone on a tight budget.

Looking at this thread it's hard to see why you aren't looking for a Mondeo, Audi A6, or W211

Has the ABC fluid ever been changed in it?

It's not a service item I believe but I've read a lot of advice which supports doing it.

I believe it would have Airmatic?

Yeah, Peter stated that.

I thought ABC was standard on a 500. Not sure though.

Ah right, I thought ABC wasn’t used on the W221 though? I might be wrong though. :)

Ah right, I thought ABC wasn’t used on the W221 though? I might be wrong though. :)

CL500 has it and it's built on the W221 platform - so I presumed it did.

Just looked it up and only standard on the S600 upwards so only an option on the S500.

Has the ABC fluid ever been changed in it

It doesn't have ABC John, it has Airmatic :) ABC was an option on the 500, standard on the 63 + 65

So it’s the lower end diesel cars I’m looking at right now,

Only buy the diesel if you are doing lots of miles, if not the 350 petrol has a great engine will be far more economical for servicing and running costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom