buying a XC90 (sorry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredT

Car
NO MB :-D , X5, Ducati 748sps, Porsche 996GT2
2 kids in car seats in the back means i need a bigger car, whilst im at it i though i might as well get 7 seats for the occasions you need them.

i early dismissed the volvo, because of the dreadful engine/gearbox. then i started to look at the rivals.

X5 - this would have been my first choice but why oh why are the bavarians so intent on ruining a beautiful car with their horrible suspension?? i tried an se with 18" wheels (according to dealer the most comfortable set up), but its as harsh as my c class sport.. WHY? shame because other then that a lovely lovely car. a class above the other i recon.

ML, range rover, lexus - no 7 seat option..

Smax (!) - to boring, couldnt live with it.

R class - nice but too car like (and too massive!!)

so.. back to volvo. compromise on pretty much everything, specially the engine, but other then that seems sensible.

looking for 06-09 model or something, is there anything to look out for?
i heard some drive shaft powering the rear wheels goes on early models, has this been improved on later versions?

thanks

I was in a very similar situation not too long back.

After some in-depth research, the conclusion I came to was to buy the Discovery; it looks better, drives better and is a bit better as a 7 seater.

The XC90 that I test drove back-to-back came a distant second to the Discovery TDV6.

- there's a 7-seat option on the Discovery though, if that's of interest.

MarkP

i just dont like the disco

If its the older Disco 2 they look very basic inside with lots of plastic.

I like the R class in LWB form and if I needed bigger than the S211 that would be my choice.

I like the XC90 though see a lot on caravan sites so probably a good tug. Some are sporty looking R design ones which look quite smart.

I had an 05 model, nice interior with plenty7 room. Auto box not a patch on the Merc one and a little sluggish but the biggest problem was a massive turning circle. The number of car parks I had to drive away from because their was no room to manouvre was ridiculous.

I had an 05 model, nice interior with plenty7 room. Auto box not a patch on the Merc one and a little sluggish but the biggest problem was a massive turning circle. The number of car parks I had to drive away from because their was no room to manouvre was ridiculous.

You mean you didn't just run into things, isn't that the norm in an Ovlov:thumb:

If its the older Disco 2 they look very basic inside with lots of plastic.

I like the R class in LWB form and if I needed bigger than the S211 that would be my choice.

I like the XC90 though see a lot on caravan sites so probably a good tug. Some are sporty looking R design ones which look quite smart.

yeah i like the r class too, but as you say it has to be lwb or it makes no sense. and its such a beast! way too big for london carparks

actually just bought my wife and 3 kids+dog a new smax, they are not bad, quite fast with 200hp now and very very practible for camping and general house hold + school runs etc as it seats 7 fairly well.

After all it not meant as a main decent car, save that position for a decent merc etc, so you wont go far wrong with one. At £23k not bad price either

actually just bought my wife and 3 kids+dog a new smax, they are not bad, quite fast with 200hp now and very very practible for camping and general house hold + school runs etc as it seats 7 fairly well.

After all it not meant as a main decent car, save that position for a decent merc etc, so you wont go far wrong with one. At £23k not bad price either

i know. very good cars. but this will be our only car and i want something that feels better then the smax.

thanks

i know. very good cars. but this will be our only car and i want something that feels better then the smax.

thanks

in that case I agree, smax, although very good at what it does, prob the best sub £25k people carrier, it does however not equate to a xc or discovery. Have you thought about a RR sport, I had one and was pretty much all the car you will ever need

I am in a very similar boat and also need more seats.

My father in-law has an XC90, whilst its a nice car, it lacks power and the refinement of a Mercedes.

I am toying with the idea of an R-class or an Audi Q7, have not had the time to look at either or the Disco yet, but pretty much this is my shortlist.

Brain is playing up today. When I saw XC-90 in the title I immediately thought of one of these (actually an X-90)

X90silver.jpg

widely considered to be one of the worst cars ever made. I did wonder why anyone would be considering buying one!

I suppose a Volvo's a (small) step up from that, at any rate.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

^^ the only reason they fitted a boot spoiler was so you could tell which way it was pointing :D

There are some amazing deals on new XC90s at the moment, mate just bought a brand new R-Design, with all the toys, list price £43,000 and paid £30,000 for it.

He was looking at up to 3 year old ones, however they were £25k so didn't make much sense.
Facelift coming Oct apparently.

2 kids in car seats in the back means i need a bigger car, whilst im at it i though i might as well get 7 seats for the occasions you need them.

i early dismissed the volvo, because of the dreadful engine/gearbox. then i started to look at the rivals.

Engine and gearbox are no better now...are you sure want to buy a car - any car - with a dreadful engine and gearbox??:doh:
I sympathise with your problem, but if I was in your position, my compromise would be on the 7 seats, which you say you would only need on occasions.
Take that aspect out of the equation, and there are loads of family cars that could go on your wishlist - some even with decent engines and gearboxes!!

(Having said that, new XC90 due so I believe there are some bargains around)

You won't like the turning circle either if you've owned a Merc.....

Don't you mean "You'll HATE the turning circle" if you've had a Merc. As someone who came from a Volvo C70 to the W212 it's like having an epiphany, night and day. Volvo equals supertanker Mercedes equals destroyer in ship terms.
Don't get me wrong the Volvo was reliable, the T5 engine the dogs danglies, auto gearbox was faster reacting to kickdown than the 7g is and yes if circumstances dictated I would have another. It would NOT be a new one though, it would be an old one with the obligatory paint rubbed off ALL 4 corners by the previous owner. The reason ........... it's kind of liberating to go to Tesco and not give a crap if someone dings your car because chances are there's will come off worse. :)

If you need 7 seats buy an E class estate. It has far more practical use for the 99% of the time you won't be using the 7 seat option. Dragging the weight (and transmission loss) of an expensive 4wd system which you will hardly ever use in London is kind of perverse too.

My bro-in-law has a W211 E280 cdi which just took him, sis and 2 daughters, plus luggage, much self catering and bikes from London to the South of France and back with plentiful load space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom