Buying advice E-Class E220d 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vladlen445

Car
E Class
Hi everyone,

Absolutely new to mercedes-benz so would really really appreciate some advise regarding what to look out for.

I am planning to buy an E-Class 2016 E220d AMG pack mercedes which also has a premium plus pack and a bunch of other extras. The car has 59k miles and comes from approved mercedes-benz dealership.

What I was told is that it was first ow3by mercedes-benz as a display unit, hence a lot of extras and then there was another owner who is now part exchanging it.

I've got the service history and will call mercedes-benz dealership to check for any recalls, potential issues with this particular and pretty much any other info I can get out of them.

I would appreciate any advise regarding what to look out for and check when buying. What I can ask for when buying and any other information.

Thank you in advance!

Very good cars, but too often let down by not-so-great dealers....

My only advice is to make no assumptions, and go over the car with a fine tooth comb just as you would do with a car on sale at a back street garage.

Check that everything works, get a mechanic to inspect it if you can, ask to actually see the service history and V5C, make sure that any promises that the salesperson makes are documented (email etc), and if anything is not sorted when you arrive to collect the car, don't be tempted to accept it and 'bring it back later' - instead simply leave the car there until all the faults are fixed. As for the car's previous owners... ignore anything the salesperson says, instead trust only what you can see with your own eyes via documented proof. Check for EML, check the tyres, the discs and pads, the alloys for kerbing, etc. And don't rely on the warranty either - it's good, but there are many things that won't be covered by the Approved Used Warranty.

Sorry to have to say that... and I might be doing an injustice to the particular dealer that you are in contact with - but sadly MB dealers have earned the poor reputation..

Last edited:
Very good cars, but too often let down by not-so-great dealers....

My only advice is to make no assumptions, and go over the car with a fine tooth comb just as you would do with a car on sale at a back street garage.

Check that everything works, get a mechanic to inspect it if you can, ask to actually see the service history and V5C, make sure that any promises that the salesperson makes are documented (email etc), and if anything is not sorted when you arrive to collect the car, don't be tempted to accept it and 'bring it back later' - instead simply leave the car there until all the faults are fixed. As for the car's previous owners... ignore anything the salesperson says, instead trust only what you can see with your own eyes via documented proof. Check for EML, check the tyres, the discs and pads, the alloys for kerbing, etc. And don't rely on the warranty either - it's good, but there are many things that won't be covered by the Approved Used Warranty.

Sorry to have to say that... and I might be doing an injustice to the particular dealer that you are in contact with - but sadly MB dealers have earned the poor reputation..
Amazing! Thank you so much.
He emailed me the service history already as it's stored on mercedes servers. I will still call another dealership to go through this.
I won't be able to bring a mechanic with me but I will go with a friend who know much more than me in cars. He is also one of those who checks every little thing. I wonder if the salesperson will allow to plug a pc and run a diagnostic or check for errors? Is that realistic?
This car had an advisory on last mot for tyres, so I wonder if they were changed.
Another question is if I see that tyres and or brake discs will need replacement soon, would they do that? I mean you won't know the answer but I wonder if that's something that happens in general.
This car is listed for moat £19k and I won't buy it unless im happy with it, that's for sure. Sorry for bombing with questions, really struggling here lol.

And thank you for taking time and replying!

Regarding fitting new tyres or brakes etc, the dealers tend to be very flexible and extremely accommodating before the sale. But after you signed the dotted line, you are unlikely to get out of them anything as goodwill - not even a free key ring... so by all means, ask for whatever you want to be added, changed, or put right... paint corrections, even respray, etc, or just a set of new mats. They will be very eager to shift the car and get it off the forecourt. But do this before you sign and get it on writing.

Regarding fitting new tyres or brakes etc, the dealers tend to be very flexible and extremely accommodating before the sale. But after you signed the dotted line, you are unlikely to get out of them anything as goodwill - not even a free key ring... so by all means, ask for whatever you want to be added, changed, or put right... paint corrections, even respray, etc, or just a set of new mats. They will be very eager to shift the car and get it off the forecourt. But do this before you sign and get it on writing.
I can definitely play this game. Thank you so much. Would you know if there any common faults with these models that I should look out for?

There were two versions available in 2016 , both 220d AMG line. The "Edition" version , last of the C207 models, was launched in early 2016 which had Intelligent lights , 19" alloys, rear spoiler and a different front grille all as standard. The easiest way to spot an "edition" model is the blue stitching on the seats and door cards.
The earlier 2016 models generally have 18" alloys and definitely no boot spoiler.
The main option to have is the "Pano" roof.

As for tyres.... dealers tend to fit rubbish tyres (budget brands), and they might replace just one tyre at a time. Insist on the car having 4 tyres of the same make and model and same thread wear. If could try and be cheeky and insist on MO tyres (MO = Mercedes Original) - which is what the dealer would have sold you if you were buying new tyres from them.....

The infotainment system will be either the basic Audio20, or the higher-end COMAND (NTG4.5 up to 2015, NTG5*2 in 2016).

NTG5*2 can have Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, so if this is important to you then check with the dealer if they can retrofit it prior to sale (if they say the car already has it... check it for yourself!).

And at any rate ask the dealer to carry-out a firmware update to the infotainment unit, and also separately apply the latest maps to the SatNav (the latter can be costly if done later).

And, keep an eye out for the optional Audio upgrade which will be either Harman-Kardon or Burmester, depending on the age of the car.

There were two versions available in 2016 , both 220d AMG line. The "Edition" version , last of the C207 models, was launched in early 2016 which had Intelligent lights , 19" alloys, rear spoiler and a different front grille all as standard. The easiest way to spot an "edition" model is the blue stitching on the seats and door cards.
The earlier 2016 models generally have 18" alloys and definitely no boot spoiler.
The main option to have is the "Pano" roof.

They state that it has 19" alloys but searching by VIN number shows early 2016, as much as I can see. The vehicle is still in transit to the dealership so I will only see a video of it on Sunday and potentially will go check it out early next week. This one has a panoramic roof.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-203626_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210226-203626_Chrome.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 10
If you have the car's VIN, check the options list on an online VIN decoder.

The infotainment system will be either the basic Audio20, or the higher-end COMAND (NTG4.5 up to 2015, NTG5*2 in 2016).

NTG5*2 can have Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, so if this is important to you then check with the dealer if they can retrofit it prior to sale (if they say the car already has it... check it for yourself!).

And at any rate ask the dealer to carry-out a firmware update to the infotainment unit, and also separately apply the latest maps to the SatNav (the latter can be costly if done later).

And, keep an eye out for the optional Audio upgrade which will be either Harman-Kardon or Burmester, depending on the age of the car.
I attached 2 images. That's what the dealer emailed me and it's what the car will come with. I compares key things on that list with what the VIN number decoder gave me and it's matching. Obviously it comes down to checking it all. It looks like a good list of specs, as much as I can say based on my knowledge.

I will definitely ask for the firmware and maps update. Where can I check the latest firmware version and map veraion?
Screenshot_20210226-204634_Yahoo Mail.jpgScreenshot_20210226-204607_Yahoo Mail.jpg

All post 2013 facelift models had command online as standard. The edition model was launched early 2016 and most were registered after March/April 2016. Mine was delivered in June 2016 but I had ordered it in March just after it was launched. There will be a lot of 2016 cars that are not "Edition " models, whether it makes any difference to your decision is up to you , if your car has 19" and "pano" roof then not having the blue stitching and rear spoiler isn't going to spoil the deal.

I'm somewhat at a loss regarding that Spec sheet - Widescreen Cockpit 412.50 ??? There was no such option available on the C207. Only available on the new coupe.
The 220d also came as standard with Nappa leather so the reference to "Artico" and "Dynamica" is a mystery. Also E coupe's came with Harmon Kardon music systems and not Burmester systems.

If it says 3 years free map updates and they weren't done by the previous keepers , I doubt if mb will do them now for free. They just laughed at me when I asked . Buying from a mb dealer might be your saving grace..

I'm somewhat at a loss regarding that Spec sheet - Widescreen Cockpit 412.50 ??? There was no such option available on the C207. Only available on the new coupe.
The 220d also came as standard with Nappa leather so the reference to "Artico" and "Dynamica" is a mystery. Also E coupe's came with Harmon Kardon music systems and not Burmester systems.
It's definitely there. When checking VIN numer it also states "INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 12.3 " DIAGONAL MEASUREMENT". I saw those wide screens on early 2016 as well. It is a saloon (if it makes a difference).

If it says 3 years free map updates and they weren't done by the previous keepers , I doubt if mb will do them now for free. They just laughed at me when I asked . Buying from a mb dealer might be your saving grace..
Good that I was told about the maps! Fingers crossed

As my teacher once said - read the question and read it again - sorry , thought it was a coupe. Disregard all my comments re the "edition" model , does not apply to the saloon. Saloon was artico/dynamica.

As my teacher once said - read the question and read it again - sorry , thought it was a coupe. Disregard all my comments re the "edition" model , does not apply to the saloon. Saloon was artico/dynamica.
No worries. Thank you for jumping in and willing to help!

After 3 years, the dealer has to pay MB for the PIN code to unlock the latest maps. So if you state it early on in the negotiations then the dealer might agree to throw it in, but once you've bought the car, there's little chance they'll fork-out for the maps. Dealers charge between £99 and £199 for maps update (including installation), BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom