Buying advice for an E60

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
Hi folks,
Just been down to jag dealer and for a 520 SE 05 manual with sat nav with 50k miles and no leather its up for £9500. I offered 8200. He might accept.

Just seen a E60- 530 SE leather auto 04 55k miles up for 10K...dealer won't budge on price ...was offering me 2k less for my car. I said i would offer 9k without P/X he still won't take it.

I offered 8k for a 520 SE manual ww leather 53 with 45k miles BMW approved .The dealer was nearly up for it...

Not driven a 520 Se or 530 would you pay that much more for 530 and are manuals hard to shift..i thought you need leather ,sat nav, auto on a car like this to sell.

Any ideas from ex-BMW owners.

Not driven a 520 Se or 530 would you pay that much more for 530 and are manuals hard to shift..i thought you need leather ,sat nav, auto on a car like this to sell.

I'd take them for a test drive first before making offers.

Yes, leather is a must for an executive car. Satnav is a personal choice, since many people already own portable ones. Personally I'd pay £1-1.5k less for a car without leather, satnav, decent stereo.

Just seen a E60- 530 SE leather auto 04 55k miles up for 10K...dealer won't budge on price ...

From my research £10k is a fair-average price from a dealer, assuming 6-12 months warranty. What's the spec? When is it due a service? What about tyres etc? All make for fair haggling points.

Autocar review of the 520i
HonestJohn review of the 520i

Last edited:
The 520 is gutless as an auto and manual. You need an auto with leather to re-sell. Shop around as there are loads of these cars around. Don't fret about the nav situation. idrive is not that user friendly and I use a TT.

So you haven't driven either car, and yet you marched in and made offers on them?

Don't be at all surprsied if the dealers don't take you seriously. :rolleyes:

Yes I've driven the 520 b4 and the 530d when they first came out and I went for a W211 instead. Having owned the w211 for a few years I sold it. My exp with it wasn't good ...probs with car, dealer and a first marque.

I did drive the 520 at the jag dealer and made the offer, the others are 200 miles away and being main dealers with warranty I can't see problem since i will put down deposit subject to them bringing it down or me driving up to test

The 530 has sat nav leather and is auto se no other extras...grey with black leather. I was thinking offering about 9200-9500 since its up for 9999? And thats with cash no P/X.

I too was hoping for a w124 E60 thread.

Misleading the public like this :confused:

The 5 series for the first time, is holding its value better than the w211 mercedes.

The 520 is gutless as an auto and manual. You need an auto with leather to re-sell. Shop around as there are loads of these cars around. Don't fret about the nav situation. idrive is not that user friendly and I use a TT.

Gutless? How would you describe a W211 entry level E220?

Time to move this thread to the defectors forum...:)

Just seen a E270CDI up for 10K. Wife wants Merc, I want BMW.
She doesn't think much of 5 Series looks but whenever she sees a W211 she reminds me of our E220CDI. It will be easier to buy the w211 and justify it but if come home with a 54plate 525d or a 530SE i'll have a lot of explaining to do.

It it wasn't for the fact that my last W211 gave me pain I would buy it without thought.

I want to defect but it seems I'll always come back to MBz and be at the mercy of the stealers. The car above is a 12 mnth approved used , with 2yrs ar £595 at purchase or free 12mths.

The colour is grey. But it's an elegance not avantgarde so no xenons......i'll miss them. it has leather and is auto but not much else at that price.

I want to buy privately but no warranty thing puts me off and after market jobs are not worth the paper they're on.

At least 2yrs warranty will keep costs down on a 10k car...if engine went max paid by tesco/aa is 1.5k.

Adam

I have driven the 520 and it is very smooth in auto guise. Not fast, just effortless with 170 bhp (previous shape).

Not driven the latest version.

We have a 530d SE Auto as our workhorse and it is the best car we have ever owned.

Great to drive, huge boot and in 2 years nothing has gone wrong.

On later models Professional Sat Nav means integrated Bluetooth, well worth it. So that, parking sensors and leather is a must for me.

5 Series is a good car - but then I am a bit biased. ;)

Not much goes wrong with them and they are a really nice drive - I'm normally one to change cars every 18 monthsish, but I've had mine for nearly 3 and a half years so that must mean something.

Would an E90 3 series not be better. Almost as spacious, a fair bit safer in a prang (35 NCAP pnts vs 29), better to drive, cheaper and voted britains most reliable car.

Would an E90 3 series not be better. Almost as spacious, a fair bit safer in a prang (35 NCAP pnts vs 29), better to drive, cheaper and voted britains most reliable car.

Ehhhh, I was under the impression that Lexus IS was Britains most reliable car?

Ehhhh, I was under the impression that Lexus IS was Britains most reliable car?

Wrong ;)

BMW's e90 3 series is.

Want a reliable car, get a BMW :eek: (I ran 2 and both were faultless)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom