Buying advice - the battle of the flawed engines 2000s M5 vs E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My, you have walked a bit of a similar path to me. I've resisted the urge for a 6.2 to this point, but I have always fancied one. I currently have an S205 C63 biturbo which I love. Despite that I'm still attached to my E46 M3, although it is a little too focussed for the road...

I built it in 2008, and it still has ability far above my limits!
is that your actual e46? my my , it is a beauty! stunning colour, same as mine. nice rims !

yeah I had to let it go but I'm loving the family taxi a lot. I've also realised it may be quite loud outside the car. still, when I want to push on, my s205 c63s really fills in really well for the incumbent e46. the e46 was really a bit too switched on at all times and I had to remember to move off in second gear or i would have to rev it quite high to make any progress in 1st gear.

I think the XFR rides on standard suspension vs. AMGs on AirMATIC which would be night and day. The setup of AirMATIC on the E55K was sublime and pretty much spot on for me.

Yes, I never used the buttons as I remember this from the E55. Absolute shyte.

I found leaving it in sport mode and using the right speed for a bend worked well.

These cars deliver enough power to brush off a slightly-tall gear for the revs though so I never had any issues.
yes the e55 has those funny buttons, the e63 has proper flappy paddles at least . I've used manual mode a bit more and it is fine I suppose, but letting the gearbox do it's own thing and using the throttle pedal to command the transmission seems to work better. I dont have to think about gears in auto mode and the transmission does everything extremely well. I still think it may be worth getting the software reset or updated at a merc garage to then align the car with my driving style. I think the first owner drove the car very gently for its 1st 10 years !

is that your actual e46? my my , it is a beauty! stunning colour, same as mine. nice rims !

yeah I had to let it go but I'm loving the family taxi a lot. I've also realised it may be quite loud outside the car. still, when I want to push on, my s205 c63s really fills in really well for the incumbent e46. the e46 was really a bit too switched on at all times and I had to remember to move off in second gear or i would have to rev it quite high to make any progress in 1st gear.

Yes, my car. The green wheels help to pick it out from all the other silver grey M3’s in the trackday photo thumbnails without having to open every picture. I built the car from parts, mostly sourced from a written off 2005 CS model. That’s why it’s on a Q plate. Manual gearbox, I never liked the SMG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom