Buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
Hi Guys,
I am thinking of Going for Merc after driving Honda for a few years.
I'm glad i found this informative site from a UK guy posting at channel4.com/cars. There is a USA site but not too relevant to me.

I'm willing to part with about 25-27K for a new Merc and was thinking of either the new E or the C class. I've driven accord for years and feel it about right size. How would E compare. I'd rather have new E but feel it may lack the sporter feel cf to C class which now may offer Sports package.

The merc dealer thinks C would be better and is eagier to offer me
discounts on used C and new C but NOT new E...I'll have to wait till May for new E.

How good is the NEW E or should I save my money and spend under 20K for used C or abit less for new C with new sports package.

What would you do buy new E or wait a few years and settle for used or new C now? until more used E are around and cheaper, presently used E are 1k cheaper than list price and sell same day.

I've never bought Merc and dont know what I'm buying.

Any help appreciated

ADAM

Come along to the GTG at Jimmys on the 16th

Then you can see a few of each model - and make an informed descision after speaking to real world owners !

Though that sort of money buys a mint signature SL :devil:

And SL's rock !!!!!! :rock:

Mark

Resident Honda lover !!!

216 turbo cabriolet - CRX powered
1988 CRX 1.6 16v
1991 JDM CRX 1.5 auto

GTG

Thanks Mark,
GTG where is that being held?

Do you think that buying a new E for private use may be not a good idea coz of depreciation?
I'm reading that C class suffer quality isues like paintwork..stone chips easily and soft alloys....is the New E then a better Quality car in terms of interior and exterior quality. In terms of cost of new the diff is only 2-3K for E270\c270CDI.
I'm going for auto coz read somewhere about manual not as good and difficult with footbrake.
Metallic B silver with dark interior, park sensors, maybe split diff alloys and folding seats if i can afford extras.

E270 CDI metallic, park sensors auto comes to 30K list price however E220CDI is nearer my budget around 28.5 list maybe i can haggle around 1k. for extras like paint,sensors. i wish.

I have had the Honda for only 12 months, 2 year old no probs at all..not even a light bulb,....hope new E does cause me grief?

any ideas.

GTG is here ...GTG

Come along and ask the people that know - I am definately SL biased !!

There will be loads of C and E class people present - and of varying ages!

Alternatively I'm about to post a nice thread on cheap MB's :)

Mark

Adam

There will be two new E Classes at the GTG.

My E320CDI and Richards E 270 CDI to see and talk about M8.

Thanks guys, Love to come to event but working on that day and its a long trek from Yorks. Thanks for the invite, much appreciated.
Anyway a few questions from me.

Will test drive E270 cdi Wed pm.

Just wanted to know what extras will retain residuals?
Anyway do you reccomend manual or auto..I'm used to manaul.
How much do dealers knock off list price of E270CDI, i was thinking of asking for metallic paint and poss something else around £800 off.

How would this car compare with NEW ACCORD in terms of performance (2.4l).

What kind of residuals can you expect in 3 years with the new E

Would you buy private new or used?(new shape)

Would you consider new C class or should i stick to E?

Thanks

ADAM

Re: GTG

Originally posted by adam1
I'm going for auto coz read somewhere about manual not as good and difficult with footbrake.

Nonsense, especially the footbrake part.

But the autos are generally considered to be the better box by far - there are howver a few amongst us that insist we dont know best ;)

MB are famed for the longevity and shift quality of their auto boxes - however the manuals are often described as "mediochre"

Mark

Not wanting to start a flame war - just saying it how I personally see it"

Originally posted by Mark300SL
But the autos are generally considered to be the better box by far - there are howver a few amongst us that insist we dont know best ;)

MB are famed for the longevity and shift quality of their auto boxes - however the manuals are often described as "mediochre"

Mark

Not wanting to start a flame war - just saying it how I personally see it"

Mark tells it spot on. Agree with him totally. Just don't use the foot brake and manauls don't mix argument. A few motoring journalists that have no co-ordination should be shot for starting that. But then I had a year of driving my Dad's Citroen XM to practice on!

Last edited:
The only defence of the mauals I would add is that perhaps the current model 6 speed manuals are better? Anyone actually tried one?

Anyway, if it's a E-Class you are thinking of, manual doesn't really come into it. Any luxury car of that size is probably best suited to an auto.

You have a lot of money to spend and an open mind and you seem in no rush. I suggest you take Mark's advise, and join us at the GTG. You will get a friendly taste of MB ownership, which you can follow up with a trip to your dealer when you are ready.

Originally posted by adam1

Will test drive E270 cdi Wed pm.

Just wanted to know what extras will retain residuals?
Anyway do you reccomend manual or auto..I'm used to manaul.
How much do dealers knock off list price of E270CDI, i was thinking of asking for metallic paint and poss something else around £800 off.
How would this car compare with NEW ACCORD in terms of performance (2.4l).
What kind of residuals can you expect in 3 years with the new E
Would you buy private new or used?(new shape)
Would you consider new C class or should i stick to E?
Thanks
ADAM

You won't get much discount because they are like "gold-dust", a nine months waiting list for new ones M8.
Residuals 50% in three years on diesels.
Extras - watever you can afford and justify M8. Plenty of extras on Avantgarde for £500 more.
C or E is your choice not ours.
New accord is comparable in performance, if that is all you rate a car on?

Originally posted by GDC200

b. My first Merc was a C180 manual, the box was unexceptional but try using that foot brake when you need a foot on the clutch and a foot on the juice at the same time. Try parking on a 45% slope in a manual. Either I am particularly uncoordinated or I am one foot short of the three needed to drive and be in control of the car!

a. Totally agree.

b.

Are you sure?

In what scenario do you apply the handbrake, clutch and gas at the same time? You do this when you are parking?

Don't forget the handbrake is hand released, which is the important part. Obiosuly you need to have the clutch and gas in use when you RELEASE the handbrake on a slope or parking. Otherwise I don't understand your argument.

c. Have my own opinion on this. If autos are are the norm and manuals not bought new, then surley a used buyer who wants a manual, may find a shortage. What happens to the prices of things which are in a shortage of supply?

If there are loads of manuals that nobody wants, who bought them new and why?

I think in the right market a manual will not be as devalued as people make out. There of course plenty of people who are ignorant of this (I mean certain dealers not anyone here).

Last edited:
I see your point.

I have just got quick at step 2.

One Citroen XM (my Dad's honest, same system) and two manual W202's later, I have had the practise!

It's not just the hand brake which hinders this manouvre though. The fact the throttle response is very slow (making jumping to the byte point on a steep incline trickier) also is a problem. I am sure the throttle response is tuned to the Auto cars. If MB altered this I am sure the all round manual driving experience would be better percieved.

All preference anyway. I suppose if I had to street park on a steep hill everyday, I might get upset, but then I think I would just get Sh1t hot at the knack.

Originally posted by GDC200
...i hadnt thourght about throttle response. Your right it is slow and that's why i was bad at it! Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to It!:)

Buy a diesel..... lodsa torque, hence nice and easy to hold on the clutch if needed, with or without gas.

I know it isnt the best thing to do for the clutch, so only if needed.

If I had an auto (which I used to do (C200)) would I use the foot brake to park on a hill?? Guess not. Why do I need to with a manual??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom