Buying Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

N33Del

Car
CLS
Hello,

I have a decision to make, I picked up a 2016 CLS 220d 53K miles yesterday from Mercedes dealership as an approved used vehicle, after 120 miles the Engine Management light has come on, 'Im waiting until the dealership opens today to call them, but wondered what others would do in this situation. The dealership I got it from is about 100 miles away and the current 130miles I have done + 100 will be close to the 250 mile no hassle return policy the dealership provides. I really like the car, but it's a big purchase for me and not being knowledgeable about cars I'd like some advice as to whether I should just return it and get my money back or work with the dealership on a different solution?

thanks for any advice

Last edited:
As an approved used vehicle it will have Mobilo breakdown cover , give them a call and they will come out , run a scan of the codes and advise the best route forward.

My CLS had a few EML resets before it eventually went into limp home mode , turned out it was a sensor on the exhaust (as identified by the above) , drove it to the dealers and they had a courtesy car waiting for me when i arrived.

K

As an approved used vehicle it will have Mobilo breakdown cover , give them a call and they will come out , run a scan of the codes and advise the best route forward.

Not when I tried this. I was told that so long as the vehicle was driving OK I was expected to take it to a dealership as it hadn't broken down.

I really like the car, but it's a big purchase for me and not being knowledgeable about cars I'd like some advice as to whether I should just return it and get my money back or work with the dealership on a different solution?

EML could well be something fairly trivial. Modern diesels are full of sensors, and it wouldn't be that unusual for one to fail on a 6 year old car. Replacement is generally quick & easy and rejecting a car you like for something like this would be OTT (IMHO). Talk to the supplying dealership - they will hopefully be keen to sort it as you've only just picked the car up (maybe they would send a tech. to you to check the fault codes, or come & collect the car). Of course as an Approved Used you would also have the option of taking it to a closer dealership and getting it done under warranty, if you preferred.

As said. Get the supplying dealer to arrange for your local dealer to investigate and fix it.

Just because the supplying dealer states terms and conditions to reject doesn't overrule your statutory rights.

Give them a fair chance to resolve the issue. If it cannot be easily resolved within a reasonable time frame then you still have a legal right to reject it regardless of the dealers terms.

A word of warning - from seeing others' experiences similar to your own on this forum - buy an approved used Mercedes from a dealer some distance away - and you would assume that you would just go to your local dealer for any warranty issues - not so necessarily. Others' experiences have been that the local dealer won't undertake the warranty work or wants to charge a diagnostic fee - and you (the customer) end up trying to negotiate a deal between the supplying dealer and the local dealer. The "approved used" warranty is provided by the dealer you bought the car from.....
And good luck if you want to pick a fight with Mercedes over your "statutory" rights - you had better have deep pockets and a friendly solicitor.
From what I have seen on here I would take the easy option, return the car for a refund and find another more local to home.

A word of warning - from seeing others' experiences similar to your own on this forum - buy an approved used Mercedes from a dealer some distance away - and you would assume that you would just go to your local dealer for any warranty issues - not so necessarily. Others' experiences have been that the local dealer won't undertake the warranty work or wants to charge a diagnostic fee - and you (the customer) end up trying to negotiate a deal between the supplying dealer and the local dealer. The "approved used" warranty is provided by the dealer you bought the car from.....
And good luck if you want to pick a fight with Mercedes over your "statutory" rights - you had better have deep pockets and a friendly solicitor.
From what I have seen on here I would take the easy option, return the car for a refund and find another more local to home.
Not quite true. The Mercedes-Benz Approved Warranty can be used in Mercedes-Benz dealership. The problem comes with fixing items which are not covered by the warranty, ie faults which were present or could be assumed to be present at the time of sale, and which the seller is responsible for fixing, and not the warranty. The seller may ask that the vehicle is returned to them as the cost will be lower than them paying another dealer to do it - depends upon the dealer.

Thanks for all the replies, I have agreed with the dealer my nearest dealership will take care of the EML. So as is stands I am now the owner or my first Mercedes :) I hope the fix goes smoothly
Hope it goes well. As above, the no hassle return policy doesn't affect your rights under consumer legislation.

Probably needs a new Oxygen Sensor after standing around for a while at the Dealership.
Mercland by any chance ?

Not quite true. The Mercedes-Benz Approved Warranty can be used in Mercedes-Benz dealership. The problem comes with fixing items which are not covered by the warranty, ie faults which were present or could be assumed to be present at the time of sale, and which the seller is responsible for fixing, and not the warranty. The seller may ask that the vehicle is returned to them as the cost will be lower than them paying another dealer to do it - depends upon the dealer
I am only going by what I see on here. Disgruntled customers being told that the warranty excludes items that a reasonable person might expect to be covered (eg "wiring") or that the fix can only be provided by the selling dealer - sometimes a long way away.
Hopefully the OP gets a satisfactory outcome; in the meantime if you have not read the terms of the warranty then you would be advised to do so.

I had an issue with a serviceable item which the supplying dealer caused which was 280 ish miles away I took it to my local MB dealer and after afew exchanged emails it was sorted FOC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom