Buying an AMG GTS help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pierpp

Car
2014 E400 Coupe
Hi. I am looking to buy a November 2015 AMG GTS. Its very low mileage at 3,200. I have a question mark over its service history though. It should have been serviced every 12 months, so coming up to its 3rd service this November. But actually it wast serviced after its first year, but very late, in June 17 at 1,600 miles. Its not been serviced since. I pointed this out to the (non MB) dealership and they have knocked off some cash to cover for a service. If I buy the car this week I will get a service done immediately, but then its still one service behind where it should be as by this November its should be on its 3rd service, but will have had only two. Will this adversely effect any resale value, or as long as the car is serviced recently and on time from now on, its ok? Many Thanks

I'd of said the 1st service is the most critical on a new car.... I'd really question why a 150k car missed this.... look for another IMO

It will affect the future value. You have noticed this and so will future buyers when you come sell (if you buy it) however how much will this drop in value - pretty minimum I would think. I’d probably be more concerned about buying a high value car where someone can’t be bothered to get it serviced on time rather than the lack of correct service intervals.

Thanks. The dealership is a pretty high end one with a good reputation and the car is just what I am after. But yes, I am not sure why someone would skimp on a service (that's only £430) on a car like this. But its done, I cant change that, All I can do is get it serviced asap. But is that enough I ask!?....

I'd of said the 1st service is the most critical on a new car.... I'd really question why a 150k car missed this.... look for another IMO
I suspect that when due a service coming up to its first year, it had only done around 1,100 miles, so as these cars can go 15,000 between services, I guess that's why it was skipped. Wrong I know....but assume its nothing more than that

Could be innocent, we missed my wife's cars first service by about 3 months as we were living abroad at the time and the car was back in the UK.

Can you contact the previous owner?

It wouldn't particularly bother me. The car has only driven a few hundred miles since its last (first) service and I cannot see how it will have been adversely affected.

I bought my Brabus in very similar circumstances. It had its first service at around 2000 miles and then was put into dry storage and missed a couple of services. I had it serviced straightaway and it's been fine.

If it's otherwise what you want , buy it, get it serviced up to date and enjoy it.

Nice car by the way :)

Isn't there a one off differential service on these very early in their lives ? Someone on here will know.

Shouldn't the service schedule be dictated by the car? If the car didn't indicate a service was required then why spend money unnecessarily?

It should still indicate the service is due when a year is up even if the mileage isn't near 10K. My C43 did that at just over 4K miles.

Isn't there a one off differential service on these very early in their lives ? Someone on here will know.
If it did need a differential service these are normally done around 1800 miles, so might have been done as part of the cars first service

I would assume that without a full MB service history that the manufacturers 3 warranty will be void. Even if the car has not been used much that would be enough to put me off.
There are valid reasons why some service items are time rather than mileage dependant. One that comes to mind is MB's recommendation to change the brake fluid every 2 years because brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels. This would particularly apply this summer for example.

Last edited:
It should still indicate the service is due when a year is up even if the mileage isn't near 10K. My C43 did that at just over 4K miles.
My R230 SL500 had a service March 2017 and after less than 2k miles still says i have 8k mikes to go. My plan is to have the service every 2 years though.

MB's recommendation to change the brake fluid every 2 years because brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels. This would particularly apply this summer for example.
Did I miss something? Have you had very soggy summer in Perth whilst a drought set in over the North West of England?:dk:
The hygroscopic nature of brake fluid talked up by the retail garage industry as it's a big money maker, the effect to most of the public is not noticeable in brake performance for many years after the recommended 2 years.
It is true that Dot 4 and Dot 5 do tend to 'drink' at little more than fluids of old, but are much more robust in many other ways.

Personally speaking I suspect that this years abnormally high prolonged temperature spell has been responsable for an number of unusual faults in cars this summer. While in the main these will be air temperature related- engine cooling system problems, I suspect that some of the electrical /sensor ones may be down to abnormally high humidity levels-- warm air can carry more moisture and this summer has been particularly humid. But its not what I think about hygroscopic brake fluid/humidity levels that counts its what Mercedes thinks. Fail to get the fluid changed as per service schedule and the following scenario might apply. The car develops an ABS/STABILITY CONTROL problem so you book it into your local MB dealer to repair it. They discover that the ABS pump needs replacing- but never mind its covered under manufacturer warranty--- isn't it? Possibly not if they wish to invoke their usual "get out of jail " limited service history clause- that's all I'm saying. :dk:

I would assume that without a full MB service history that the manufacturers 3 warranty will be void. Even if the car has not been used much that would be enough to put me off.
There are valid reasons why some service items are time rather than mileage dependant. One that comes to mind is MB's recommendation to change the brake fluid every 2 years because brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels. This would particularly apply this summer for example.
Hi,
I know brake fluid is supposed to be hygroscopic - but out of interest, how does water get into a closed circuit braking system?
Cheers
Steve

I expect the main point of entry would be the brake fluid reservoir where the fluid sits at amospheric pressure. Its usual for the reservoir cap to be vented to atmosphere to prevent either pressure or vacuum build up as fluid drains or is pushed back into the reservoir. As you can imagine the volume of the entire braking system will alter as the brakes are applied so a reservoir is required. You would think that this would be localised to the area of the master cylinder and reservoir but as braking systems increase in complexity pumps come into play meaning there may be greater fluid circulation than in the past? At a molecular level I suppose there will be a concentration gradient meaning water is possibly going to eventually migrate from the wet fluid to the dry anyway. However it happens it does , its just the rate possibly that's in dispute. In todays complex braking systems perhaps of more concern would be the propensity for water to cause corrosion on some of the more delicate internal parts of the system rather than the classical fluid vapourisation/ loss of pedal situation??
Some discusssion here
US6360540B1 - Low vent pressure master cylinder reservoir cap diaphragm - Google Patents

US06360540-20020326-D00001.png

no humidity up here this summer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom