Buying an Apple.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
I thought of going to Aberdeen later this year and when there visiting the Apple Store and buying an iMac. This is a £400+ 36 hour trip away from home by the way if taking the car.

I did not want to order the iMac on line as it was to be a surprise so did not want it delivered to my home. So I asked the Apple Store if I could order with my exact specifications weeks before and pay for it there and then, and collect it from the Store when I arrived in Aberdeen.

Oh! no that was not possible, I could order it and they would hold it for 24 hours then sell if a buyer wanted it. What great service, order weeks after booking the ferry with no guarantee it would be delivered to the store in time.

Much as I like Apple computers this is the second example of poor service I've had from Apple UK.

That's better, been a bit cheesed-off today and needed a good moan.

That's better, been a bit cheesed-off today and needed a good moan.

Sounds about right for Apple.

Nice kit but it's your privilege to buy from them and not the other way around.

Given your geographic circumstances you might have thought the shop staff would sort things out for you.

So you're entitled to moan.

Can you compromise on the spec and buy from John Lewis?

i have 3 macbook pro's in the family, 3 iphones and an ipad...

apple do make nice gear :)

... shame about their lack of will to lend a helping hand though....

Why not have it delivered to home but not let the recipient know. If you think they may be suspicious of a package, just order some other stuff as well...music CD's, etc.

Another thought might be to have your local post Office hold any packages for you to collect... ;)... after all, it's only 400m down the road...and back in reverse...

Make sure when you give it to them and say you thought they wanted an Apple, that it's a nice crispy one...

Last edited:
Can you have it delivered to your work ?

I'd use a friend/neighbour to take delivery. It's nice kit - from the first breach in the dam a couple of years ago, our household now has iPod Touch, 2 x iPhone, 2 x iMac and an iPad2....

Just reading that, I have to say I don't ever recall deciding to give Steve Jobs a donation of that size.....

I realise there are a few alternatives I could use, it's just that combining collecting it with a trip to Aberdeen was the easiest for me. Too much trouble for them to keep a paid for box somewhere until I arrived shows their attitude to customers.

Trouble with John Lewis is they only sell standard iMacs, no option to change processors or add bits like extra memory. Otherwise they would have bee my first choice.

Considering that my total intended spend with Apple was over £3000 I thought they could have been a little more helpful.

Give it a few weeks and I'll probably write to Apple expressing my feelings regarding their customer policies.

I think the expression is something like 'walled garden'. You can do pretty much anything you like; you're positively encouraged to do so, but only within the confines of the garden. Admittedly, 99% of us don't need to venture beyond those apple guarded walls so everything's just great :rolleyes:

It's like going to McDonalds: if you want a regular burger, you can get it, pay for it and most likely have eaten it inside 45 seconds. HOWEVER, ask for a burger without the gherkin and ketchup...you could probably have grown your own cow by the time your burger's ready! :)

Thanks for all the replies folks, I feel better already.:D

Give it a few weeks and I'll probably write to Apple expressing my feelings regarding their customer policies.

For every story I have heard like yours, I have heard many stories of Apple representatives going out of their way to be helpful. My wife has just purchased a refurbished Macbook pro, via my own online Apple account. It was delivered to a local shop for collection so that she could avail of some one to one training before using the computer because she had not used a Mac previously.

My sense is that one tends to read only about complaints and dissatisfaction because the people who are completely happy with their products and services do not tend to write about their experiences. I have used Apple products since the advent of OS X and I have several, which I use professionally. I have always had impeccable service from Apple, by phone or in person.

Three years ago my MacBook pro developed a fault where the num lock key would flash when the laptop was in sleep mode.
It was almost 3 years old and covered by the apple extended warranty.
They couldn't fix the light satisfactorily, so sent me a brand new latest version instead!

I've been repeatedly buying Macintosh since 1987, and have yet to voice any complaint.

My experience is that they will go the extra mile to get my business. For example, ordinarily for my daughter to get a 14% university discount on her new MacBook Pro she would have to actually process the order from within the university confines.

However, she doesn't go to university until September. When I missed-out on a refurbished MacBook Pro recently I called Apple directly to see when another might appear. Once the sales guy learned of my daughter's circumstances he took my word for it and offered the full university discount there and then on a new MacBook Pro (with Apple Care thrown in for £48).

For every story I have heard like yours, I have heard many stories of Apple representatives going out of their way to be helpful. My wife has just purchased a refurbished Macbook pro, via my own online Apple account. It was delivered to a local shop for collection so that she could avail of some one to one training before using the computer because she had not used a Mac previously.

When you say delivered to a local shop, was this an Apple store or a general computer shop the Mac was delivered to?

My nearest computer shop that knows about Apple computers happens to be the one in Aberdeen, so why could they not deliver one there and hold it until I arrived. Order and collect from store is common amongst many large retailers.

My beef with them is that they would only hold the iMac for 24 hours ( and a few days more if pushed) but would sell if another buyer came along. My chicken and egg situation is I cannot book the ferry until I know the iMac is due in stock, and I cannot guarantee visiting the store until I book the ferry.

I doubt you have heard many stories like mine unless you know lots of people who live on distant offshore islands and rely on a ferry service which is heavily overbooked at peak times of year.

Is there a forum member in the Aberdeen area that could help ?

If it was in Glasgow, I'd have no problem collecting and storing on your behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom