buying an E class estate, please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Be careful. Quite a few dealers call avantgarde trim 'sports suspension'.

Mercedes themselves call the Avantgarde suspension setup 'Sports suspension', because it is both lower and stiffer than the standard setup.

The Sport model setup is stiffer again and allied to the low profile tyres gives ride comfort some find harsh.

Avantgarde suspension in as new condition is just right.

E estate

I recently got sidetracked from looking at the V6 diesels to the 220 CDI as there are def good well specced 1-2 year old cars at v reasonable money, glad to hear the engines up to it in 170 bhp spec.. a lot of car for the sheckles!!;)

Mercedes themselves call the Avantgarde suspension setup 'Sports suspension', because it is both lower and stiffer than the standard setup.

The Sport model setup is stiffer again and allied to the low profile tyres gives ride comfort some find harsh.

Avantgarde suspension in as new condition is just right.

I haven't seen that.

If you go to the MB website and into the E class section, under 'Standard Equipment' there is a useful table under the section on 'Transmission and Suspension' showing the suspension variations.

Basically Classic and Elegance come standard with 'Comfort Suspension'

Avantgarde comes standard with the suspension "lowered by 15mm". Not with the Sport suspension which is optional (so is the Comfort suspension).

The Sport model comes with Sports suspension standard.

I haven't seen that.

In technical documents Avantgarde suspension is always referred to as sports suspension.

The springs are shorter and stiffer, with less coils, the dampers are shorter and firmer.

If the springs weren't stiffer they would bottom out when loaded due to the restricted movement of being shorter.

From EPC for W211.
SPORTS SUSPEN. 486 AND/OR AVANTGARDE

And for W210.
CHART OF FRONT SPRING RUBBER PADS "SPORTS UNDERCARRIAGE, AVANTGARDE", "E50/E55 AMG" CODE 653,655,676,677,954,957

Last edited:
I have a E320 CDI Sports Estate... you are welcome to try even if you dont want to buy...

I've seen that for sale, I'm looking for one just like that with less miles (for more money obviously) with Comand too if possible. If you see any around I'm on the lookout for one.

In technical documents Avantgarde suspension is always referred to as sports suspension.

The springs are shorter and stiffer, with less coils, the dampers are shorter and firmer.

If the springs weren't stiffer they would bottom out when loaded due to the restricted movement of being shorter.

From EPC for W211.
SPORTS SUSPEN. 486 AND/OR AVANTGARDE

And for W210.
CHART OF FRONT SPRING RUBBER PADS "SPORTS UNDERCARRIAGE, AVANTGARDE", "E50/E55 AMG" CODE 653,655,676,677,954,957

You need to go to the MB website as I suggested earlier and you will see clearly that Sports suspension is an option on Avantgarde. You can have the Avantgarde suspension, or the Comfort suspension or the Sports suspension. It would not be an option if it was the same.

Remember on older E's there was only Classic, Elegance and Avantgarde and there was no Sports version.

Last edited:
You need to go to the MB website as I suggested earlier and you will see clearly that Sports suspension is an option on Avantgarde. You can have the Avantgarde suspension, or the Comfort suspension or the Sports suspension. It would not be an option if it was the same.

Remember on older E's there was only Classic, Elegance and Avantgarde and there was no Sports version.
Dieselman is quite correct hence the option of comfort suspension for the Avantgarde.

This option in my opinion is merely the Elegance suspension and is a far more 'luxurious' ride :)

It does not wallow, it does not bounce and it is not soggy.

The Avantgarde suspension is MUCH firmer and will trnsmit more road noise and of coursde let you know the year a five pence coin was minted if you were to run over it.

I FULLY accept that a stiffer suspension will offer better road holdding but in the real world I cannot think of any public road that would allow any diver to maximise the benefits of sports or 'high performance' suspension.

The maximum speed limit for a single carriageway which will have lots of bends is 60mph, plus of course we must all be able to stop within the distance we can see to be safe.

Again though my thoughts are each to their own and I respect folks like a firm ride :)

hi there fred.i dont know if i am helping but there is a lovely e280 estate on ebay 160310524377

Dieselman is quite correct hence the option of comfort suspension for the Avantgarde.

But if you go to the MB website you will see that the Avantgarde has the option of either: -
the Avantgarde suspension
the Comfort suspension
OR the Sports suspension.
There are three options plus the airmatic since the Sport model arrived.

The Avantgarde suspension (which I have) is a bit firmer than Comfort but not as firm as the Sport option.

You can also choose 16 inch wheels (rather than 17 inch) -as I did- and keep the Avantgarde suspension. More tyre gives a better absorption of bumps.
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/e-class/w211/equipment_accessories/Standard_Equipment.0002.html

Under product info choose standard equipment, and then click the transmission and suspension button. All will then be revealed.

Last edited:
First off Thanks everyone!

I actually didnt get an e class, as my wife wasnt quite comfortable with the size (!) and also living in london i thought a c class would work slightly better.

so instead i have put a deposit on a very nicely specced estate c 320 cdi sport, wich im sure will be awesome. slightly apprehensive because of some comments about the sports rough riding, im hoping it wont be that bad as i have never driven one (havent even seen a pic of the car yet...), anyway it cant be as bad as my missus ibiza we are currently driving..

cheers // fred

The C320 CDI is a lovely car, and probably a better bet for London driving after an Ibiza. Enjoy!

First off Thanks everyone!

I actually didnt get an e class, as my wife wasnt quite comfortable with the size (!) and also living in london i thought a c class would work slightly better.

so instead i have put a deposit on a very nicely specced estate c 320 cdi sport, wich im sure will be awesome. slightly apprehensive because of some comments about the sports rough riding, im hoping it wont be that bad as i have never driven one (havent even seen a pic of the car yet...), anyway it cant be as bad as my missus ibiza we are currently driving..

cheers // fred
Congratulations on buying a Mercedes but I cannot recommend a test drive enough.. I'm sure you both will enjoy this new car but by crikey can you imagine how you will feel if your not happy with the ride.

If your getting this car from a main deaer then I'm sure they must have a C-class Sport that you could have a test drive in?

Happy motoring
John

Congratulations on buying a Mercedes but I cannot recommend a test drive enough.. I'm sure you both will enjoy this new car but by crikey can you imagine how you will feel if your not happy with the ride.

If your getting this car from a main deaer then I'm sure they must have a C-class Sport that you could have a test drive in?

Happy motoring
John

yeah i know what your saying its just i've been so busy i havent had time, and we really do need a car. also i cant imagine a benz beeing so hard sprung that i will feel it beeing uncomfortable but we'll see.. if i find it unbearable i guess i'll find out how their 30 day exchange policy works... :)

also the sport looks nice specially the wheels, and i recon it was a good deal so i took the chance.

picking it up tonight wish me luck!

// fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom