Buying an engagement ring - advice - home or abroad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unless you absolutely know what you are doing I would not buy abroad.

Hello there, Shop around! However my wife is Manager at a Diamond ,Gold and Coin dealers located in Blackpool. Their customers come from as far as China to buy from them.
Worth a look, also when selling Gold you can be ripped off very easy. They also buy scrap gold. Hope this helps.
Chard - Jewellery

Was in the same boat myself last year. Ended up buying it from here, (just for piece of mind).

ive heard lots of success stores of rings being bought abroad but as E-class says make sure you know what your doing.

i had mine specifically made with matching wedding band.

certificate is very important too for making sure you aint being ripped off.

use this link below to understand more

Diamond Certificates: Learn About GIA, HRD, IGI, EGL And AGS

are you aware of the 4 C's?

EDIT: ok you are aware of the 4 C's just read the Guradian article.

Last edited:
...where in India are you looking to pop the q?

Unless you absolutely know what you are doing I would not buy abroad.

You sound as if you do...so anywhere you can recommend in London?

Mrs S uses these people. Only certificated diamonds.

Buy engagement ring online | London Diamond Shop | Diamond Ring Shop

Make an appointment and go have a chat. It is a workshop, everything made on the premesis.
Excellent - does your wife deal in, or buy a fair amount of diamonds?

here's a link to a good Financial Times areticles on their site as well.

...where in India are you looking to pop the q?

It's not till towards the end of the year. But considering the cost, and knowledge I'll need before buying, and the fact i have to ask her Dad, the process starts now. Place will be Goa, unless I bottle it, or u-turn before then.

ahh GOA lovely place went last year..if you want piece and quiet etc south Goa...if you want hustle and bustle with the party atmosphere North Goa. Check out a club called Tito's :)#

p.s. dont worry bout her old man, buy him a Hublot while your getting the ring keep him sweet! LOL

Was in the same boat myself last year. Ended up buying it from here, (just for piece of mind).

ive heard lots of success stores of rings being bought abroad but as E-class says make sure you know what your doing.

i had mine specifically made with matching wedding band.

certificate is very important too for making sure you aint being ripped off.

use this link below to understand more

Diamond Certificates: Learn About GIA, HRD, IGI, EGL And AGS

are you aware of the 4 C's?

EDIT: ok you are aware of the 4 C's just read the Guradian article.

Thanks that's precisely the sort of thing I would never know...that laser inscription is impressive stuff!

ahh GOA lovely place went last year..if you want piece and quiet etc south Goa...if you want hustle and bustle with the party atmosphere North Goa. Check out a club called Tito's :)#

p.s. dont worry bout her old man, buy him a Hublot while your getting the ring keep him sweet! LOL

Haha - buy him a £10k watch?? Maybe a £10 bottle of wine! On a more serious note the only thing I was expecting to buy him was a pint in a pub... unles I've got this wrong as well.

Thanks re Goa...hopefully it will ensure we go back.

..yep get him the watch, Remember, he's got the main prize! thats all you want.

Good luck!;)

If you promise him that you'll also pay for the wedding I'm sure he'd happily accept your offer.

i'm thankful i didn't have to go through all this, i had my great grandmothers engagement ring, so that was simply passed down.

good luck finding one.

Buy at home and from a reputable dealer/jeweller.
Unless you are a REAL expert you cannot tell a poor gem from a top quality one. And the prices vary enormously.
You may end up spending 10-20% more, but its peace of mind and a WORTHWHILE ROCK-SOLID GUARANTEE. Something you wont get abroad or on the internet.
For something like an engagement ring I would always look at the smaller family run local shops first. Get a couple of good recommendations and you wont go far wrong.

Another vote for the Jewlery Quarter in Birmingham. A bit like Hatton Garden but at Birmingham rather than London prices.

Some nice places to eat nearby too. Two birds, one stone, expensive day. :D

EDIT: I personally paid a little more to buy from a jeweller I trusted because I can't tell the difference between imitation and the real thing.

Our son bought one from this supplier.

Engagement Rings, Diamonds, Wedding Rings and Fine Jewellery at Blue Nile

It was a few years ago. Not sure about blood diamonds and their supply chain. All I can say is they were a brilliant (pun intended) supplier and he and his were really chuffed to bits.

I can attest to this with a recent ring that was purchased. BlueNile offers good value for money if you are willing to do some research. The last time I checked, prices were about 50-60% lesser than shopping at Hatton Garden

When in Candolim Goa four years ago, took a cab to Panjim, bit of a scarey ride, friends we were with wanted to buy his wife a present, she chose a lovely Large Emerald, with diamonds around, set in gold, cost around four figures,it was designed and made to her description, and we collected it about 8 days later, excellent. Back in England, paid to have it valued, they saved about a third on what it would have cost here. There are any amount of gold and Jewellery shops in Panjim, go for it. :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom