Buying an ML320 - what to watch for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A1GSS

Hi all,

Am thinking of an ML320 CDi SE or Sport as my next MB, would welcome any suggestions or comments from Forum members who've owned and run one of these for a while.

My money would get me a 55 plate, or maybe an 06 or 56 with higher miles.

I'm especially interested in info on spec changes to watch for, problems, things that go wrong at higher miles, all that kind of stuff.

What extras are worth while?

Any recommendations where to buy?

Thanks

I was seriously looking to buy a 164 ML not so long ago, but the lack of a 7 seat option put me off.

Other than that- I would have one tomorrow.

I had an extended test drive in a 320 CDi Sport and it was brilliant. Looked especially well in black.

Spec to go for, well COMAND is always popular. My own personal preference would be heated/ memory seats, parking sensors, COMAND, side steps. Airmatic would be nice as well, but it seems to have been quite a rare option.

What's your budget?

My E320 has the same V6 CDi that is in the ML and it's just turned 130k. Even though it's a cliche, it really does drive as though it's done 30k.

Like I'm sure you know, £17k should buy you a nice Sport with decentish mileage. Personally I think that the Sport looks a lot better compared to the SE, yet there doesn't seem much difference in price for some reason?

Hi, does this issue only surface on those plates, ie is it fixed on 56 plate cars and later?

Thanks

I was told it was 2006 engines, but I know of someone who has a late 2005 vehicle with the same problem.
Like I'm sure you know, £17k should buy you a nice Sport with decentish mileage. Personally I think that the Sport looks a lot better compared to the SE, yet there doesn't seem much difference in price for some reason?

I wanted a ML with full leather, so it had to be the SE, but I fitted it with the larger 19" Sports wheels. Best of both worlds.

Make sure you get to spend a bit of time in the Sport model before you part with your money, I couldn't get on with the seats in it so went for an SE.

Matt

Does the Sport not always have leather? :confused: Seems crazy. Right, good tip, thanks! :thumb:

Prices for SE and Sport seem very similar.
They have a half suede/half leather interior.

I know someone about the same size as me that has a full leather interior skin though....;)

Big Fuel Bills !!!!!!

Average 28.8 mpg, not bad for a 4 wheel drive 3 litre turbo diesel.

Which is probably a lot more than a C36.

Last edited:
Does the Sport not always have leather? :confused: Seems crazy. Right, good tip, thanks! :thumb:

Prices for SE and Sport seem very similar.

Sport only comes with half leather half alcantera.

Make sure you get to spend a bit of time in the Sport model before you part with your money, I couldn't get on with the seats in it so went for an SE.

Matt

Matt, good tip. I drove a Sport yesterday for two hours. It had 21" rims... :eek:

Hard, crashy ride, no clutch foot rest and I couldn't get comfortable. SE trials on Wednesday.

Just tried the SE version...

On the positive side - fantastically more comfortable than the "Sport" version, shares the Sport's attributes being seemingly well made, roomy, great stereo, good ride, lively performance once you get it going, visibility pretty good with no big blind spots. No side steps, yay.

On the downside - very odd gearbox ratios in 1/2/3 makes it sluggish to the point of lethargic when setting off or crawling, no "S" mode, no clutch foot rest, nasty gear change stalk (US style I guess). Hopeless SatNav (no change there).

6/10 I guess. I'm off to try the Range Rover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom